A little help needed please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, I am looking for some good advice, as I am a complete novice in the hi-fi and at this stage at least not willing to spend a lot of money on audio equipment. Originally I just wanted to purchase a solid, entry level hi-fi system. After some reading I was almost convinced it'd be a Denon DM37 or Yamaha Pianocraft 810 (this one seems to be hardly available in UK for some reason) + Tannoy F1 speakers, which would cost me alltogether about 280 quid. However then I saw Logitech's SB Duet and since the idea of streaming music from my computer and having access to internet radio from a nice little handheld controller appeals to me immensly I decided to dig deeper into the pocket and purchase duet.

Now, this leaves me with still having to acquire an audio system to attach to the SB. I see a lot of people taking about SB => external DAC => amplifier => speakers type of setup, and this makes me wonder if it would not be a better option than buying a ready made hi-fi system like for example DM37 to be attached to SB for not a much higher price. So, duet is already on its way, I am left with 300-350 pounds, what best value for the money setup would you suggest?

And one more question, forgive my lack of knowledge, if I decided to simply purchase Denon, should I connect it to duet receiver through audio cables and rely on duet's DAC or rather through optic connection and rely on Denon's DAC?

The system will be placed in an average sized living room, I mainly listen to jazz.

A

Anonymous

let me just add that CD and radio in the hi-fi system are not really that useful to me since it will be connected to duet.

John Duncan

In which case (hello and welcome btw), you would be better off with an amp and speakers rather than the Denon.

For £350 you could buy a Cambridge 640A v2 and pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s (both of which are now discontinued) from Richer Sounds. Alternatively, if you bought the Diamonds, you could get a very good amplifier indeed from a well-known auction site - a Primare A20 Mk2 went for £313 a couple of days ago (the current equivalent of which would cost you a grand if you bought it new).

EDIT - I understand the analogue outpute of the Duet are very good indeed, and should serve you perfectly well without an offboard DAC, though you can always look at that later if required).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts