A hyperthetical hi-fi question

I would like to ask a question. I been thinking about my amplifier upgrade very seriously recently. I'm starting a new job in mid-August, now my fiancee has said to me wait a while and upgrade the lot. If we do decide to go down that road, remember, I like Arcam's neutrality, and taking JD's advice on spending as much as possible on speakers, I've penciled in a possible replacement for my current system. Bear in mind we're not overly taken by the aesthetics of Cyrus.

Upgrade my CD73T to 192.

Roksan Kandy amp.

Roksan Power amp (possibly)

Wilson Benesch Square One + good pair of stands.

Also bear in mind ex-dem or s/h amp would suffice.

John Duncan

OK, we've probably had this conversation before in that the amp is the big (read: huge) weak link there. You could try adding a P85/P90 first to drive those RS6's a bit better?

Course, if you have FD approval for the whole lot.......
emotion-5.gif

JohnDuncan:OK, we've probably had this conversation before in that the amp is the big (read: huge) weak link there. You could try adding a P85/P90 first to drive those RS6's a bit better? Course, if you have FD approval for the whole lot.......
emotion-5.gif

I've been ribbed a few times about the RS6's (not just me), so would you now rule out changing the MA's?
emotion-5.gif

John Duncan

The RS6s are more partner dependent than others I think - I'd avoid Cyrus, Roksan and budget Marantz, but they probably suit Arcam (and Primare!) quite well. The A65+ isn't good enough for them though (IMO).

JohnDuncan:The RS6s are more partner dependent than others I think - I'd avoid Cyrus, Roksan and budget Marantz, but they probably suit Arcam (and Primare!) quite well. The A65+ isn't good enough for them though (IMO).

When I tested the Roksan it seemed to synergize very well with the RS6's. Although, to be fair, we weren't able to test it for long periods. I also think the carpets and wallpaper help to muffle any nasties. I do agree that the logical route would be Arcam. I think Arcam/MA are synonymous with a balanced, well controlled sound.

By the way, JD, you haven't got a spare Primare in your famous drawer I could test for the weekend, have you?
emotion-5.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan: I do agree that the logical route would be Arcam. I think Arcam/MA are synonymous with a balanced, well controlled sound.

When I tried the new A28/37 amongst others we've swapped the MA6's for Rega's/Dynaudios and missions. In every case it was a vast improvement in our collective opinion of everyone that listened. It really was like a veil was removed with superior treble and midrange focus/detail and much tighter, clearer bass especially with Rega.

If you like the MA's, good on you and I wont argue.

However, the Gold series f/s sounded good with plinius.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:drummerman:However, the Gold series f/s sounded good with plinius. You'd bloody hope so, though..........

Sure, you'd think so but remember when I heard that MF/ProAc system, also many thousands, I was amazed ... at just how bad it sounded ...

drummerman:

JohnDuncan:drummerman:However, the Gold series f/s sounded good with plinius. You'd bloody hope so, though..........

Sure, you'd think so but remember when I heard that MF/ProAc system, also many thousands, I was amazed ... at just how bad it sounded ...

Because you heard a duff set-up, how relevant is it to my subject? A pinch salt, anyone?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:drummerman:

Because you heard a duff set-up, how relevant is it to my subject? A pinch salt, anyone?

Which duff set-up are we talking about ... FMJ's/RS6 or MF/ProAc (which perhaps was'nt plugged in)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't partner a 192 with the RS6, it'd be too much. The 192 is a very detailed CDP, and a fair amount brighter than my old 92.

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
HYPOthetical not HYPER. ÿAnd do not listen to blogs when choosing - use your ears. ÿI can tell you what I like when used in my listening room. ÿI could even tell you what I like in YOUR listening room but....

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
JohnDuncan:Sadly not - I do have an Alpha 2 which is probably better than the 65 though
emotion-5.gif
And you're very welcome to come round for Spag Bol and Fleurie with Joel on Thursday........

Sounds good to me, JD, thank you.

Good man. It will be interesting, and that's just the spag bol

A

Anonymous

Trefor Patten:HYPOthetical not HYPER. ÿAnd do not listen to blogs when choosing - use your ears. ÿI can tell you what I like when used in my listening room. ÿI could even tell you what I like in YOUR listening room but....

If you don't buy products because of "blogs", then why are you on this forum? (just asking).

Trefor Patten:HYPOthetical not HYPER. And do not listen to blogs when choosing - use your ears. I can tell you what I like when used in my listening room. I could even tell you what I like in YOUR listening room but....

I didn't realize this was an English lit or grammar forum. Tell me what you like in my room, Trefor?

JoelSim:plastic penguin:

JohnDuncan:Sadly not - I do have an Alpha 2 which is probably better than the 65 though
emotion-5.gif
And you're very welcome to come round for Spag Bol and Fleurie with Joel on Thursday........

Yep, sounds good. I'll bring a bottle of red with me, too.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

Tell me what you like in my room, Trefor?

And mine - 15ft X 9ft with a bed, two huge wardrobes, a massive bookcase, a big ex-dining room longboard thing, about 5 broken computers, tacky 90s starwars wallpaper, a wicker chest and too many Pink Floyd posters...and it has to be driven by an Arcam A32...and they have to have plenty of bass and for a budget of £1000...(a little hard I think).

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:JoelSim:plastic penguin:

emotion-5.gif

Yep, sounds good. I'll bring a bottle of red with me, too.

Have funs guys and I look forward to reading your conclusions in two weeks! I'm signing off - see y'all!
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts