Need advice upgrading my hifi system (KEF Q100 + Marantz M-CR603)

The Bobcat

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

As im a layman when it comes to hifi i definitely need some advice upgrading my system. I purchased a pair of KEF Q100 paired with a Marantz M-CR603 amplifier about 2 years ago and already feeling the need to upgrade. I feel like it lacks punch and bass among other things. It doesn’t handle moderate to high volumes very well. I listened to a variety of music from acoustic to hip-hop. But a good chunk of the music I listen to is house music (deep house in particular) and this leaves me craving for a deep, solid and punchy bass among other things. So let me list a few things to look out for before you guys can help me answer my question:

1) I live in a 152 square meters 2 bedroom apartment. The listening area is about half of that.

2) Listening distance from speakers to where I sit down is a little over 2 meters.

3)Getting floorstanders is absolutely out of the questions as they won’t fit in my apartment.

4) My budget for the speakers is about 500-1500 USD. For the amp is about the same.

So with these things in mind what should be the best speaker and amplifier combo. I’ve been reading up that the B&W 685 s2 is a solid buy? Is there anything else in this price range that’s worth an audition?

The next question is what would be the best amp for the B&W 685 s2. These amps have come up a lot in my research:

Rotel RA 11/RA 12

Roksan Kandy K2 BT

Rega Brio R/Elex R

Arcam FMJ A19

NAD D 3020

My last question is it probably better just to get a subwoofer?

I know im throwing a lot of questions but would be great to get feedback! haha

Thanks so much :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
marantz_hd-dac1.jpg

(pick a colour)

http://us.marantz.com/us/news/pages/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=95

+

Adam_A7X_01a.jpg

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug10/articles/adam-a7x.htm

Although, if aesthetics matter, I find Genelec's and Focal's active monitors to be a bit better looking.

rainsoothe

if your listening area is roughly 75 sq m, you should seriously be considering floorstanders. And for bass and drive, audition Naim Nait 5si (or used Nait XS2, or preferably Supernait if you can find one), Exposure 3010 s2 and maybe Rotel RA 1570 and Creek Evolution 50a. For speakers, check out Martin Logan Motion 20, B&W 683 s2, Neat Motive sx2 and Focal Aria 926.

My main choice (soundwise, don't know if it would be enough for your room) would be Naim (Supernait preferably) + Martin Logans, or order XTZ A100D3 + XTZ 99.36 mkII from the XTZ website, keep it for 2 weeks and send back for full refund if you don't like it - it's one of the best bargains out there imo.

btw, preamp + actives like the Adams suggested above are really good sounding and bang for buck, but I don't know if it's enough for a room that size.

The Bobcat

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback but it seems that i've made a mistake on the measurements. even though the total area of my apt is 152 square meters, the actual listening area is really about a third of that (not half). Thats why putting floorstanders is going to take too much space plus not to mention the neighbours. So i'd like to keep it bookshelf size. any ideas?

Cheers

The Bobcat

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Haha funny you mentioned those speakers cause those were the first speakers i looked at before i bought any. Unfortunately aesthetics does matter and the a7x just dont cut it. the focals might be a bit too big but i might give them an audition. cheers.

rainsoothe

The Bobcat said:
Thanks for the feedback but it seems that i've made a mistake on the measurements. even though the total area of my apt is 152 square meters, the actual listening area is really about a third of that (not half). Thats why putting floorstanders is going to take too much space plus not to mention the neighbours. So i'd like to keep it bookshelf size. any ideas?

Cheers

:) well 50 sq m is still a lot and apropriate for floorstanders, but the neighbour point I completely understand. You will need to put the standmounts on...well... stands, in order to get the best out of them, so the ammount of space they will be taking will be about the same.

So, you can just replace the floorstanders I mentioned with their standmounted counterparts: Martin Logan Motion 35xt (or 15), B&W 685 s2, Focal Aria 906, KEF L50, Dynaudio DM2/7 and the XTZ 99.26 mkII.

But do try to audition and let your ears decide.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts