Help choosing hi-fi streaming/TV/PS4 setup

Hi,

I am a newbie to hi-fi, I want to replace my mediocre ancient all-in-one micro system with something more substantial while improving TV/PS4 sound with the ability to play music from sources such as USB flash external drive and/or DLNA server and/or Mac via USB + AptX Bluetooth from Android phone. Frankly, I am overwhelmed with the many options offered and I would welcome if someone could recommend a system from their own experience or general knowledge.

Some priorities and specs:
- budget: 500-1500 GBP depending on what I would be getting
- ideally a compact system with as little separates as possible, power of about 50W/channel at 8 Ohms would do nicely (medium sized room)
- stereo capability will do (don't care for surround)
- ability to control music selection and playback from USB/DLNA/streaming sources via a dependable Android app, wouldn't mind Spotify Connect
- bit of futureproofing with some hi-res capability, 96kHz/24bit would do
- need to connect my 42" TV (Full HD, HDMI ARC equipped, may upgrade sometime) and PS4
- would like to improve sound of films played through USB/BD/streaming to TV
- would consider decent headphone amp if the integrated amp is mediocre
- I am an amateur musician, so not completely deaf, but no audiophile, most setups would be an improvement to what I have
- multi-room streaming is a plus but not required
- product availability in Europe is a big plus

Options considered:
1) AV receiver + stereo speakers - something like Sony STR-DN860/1060 + B&W 685 S2 / Monitor Audio Silver 2 spring to mind
2) Streamer + budget-ish stereo amp + stereo speakers (such as Pioneer N50A / Cambridge Minx Xi + Marantz PM6005 or similar + speakers)
3) "Digital" amp with streaming capabilities - Denon PMA-50 / NAD D 7050 / Bluesound or similar + speakers
4) Posh soundbar with BT and DLNA/USB playback - Sony HT-XT3 or HT-NT3, Dali Kubik One etc.
5) Bluetooth active speakers wirh USB and/or DLNA playback Philips Fidelio E2, Dali Kubik Free etc.
6) Posh BD player (Oppo 103D) + stereo amp + speakers

Am I at least on the right track with the combinations mentioned and the functions I would like? Any combo suggestions, product and app insights welcome. Choosing a car or a job was a piece of cake compared to this!

Cheers,
Josef

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Josef, welcome to the fun/madhouse!

Just a first suggestion: I think an Onkyo TX-8050 could get you a lot of bang for your buck. Let's stroll through your list, shall we?

Josef Havlík said:
- budget: 500-1500 GBP depending on what I would be getting: <350 EUR if you look around.

- ideally a compact system with as little separates as possible, power of about 50W/channel at 8 Ohms would do nicely (medium sized room): normal 'hifi-format', all in one box, 130 Wpc/6 Ohm (so probably some 80 W/8 Ohm)

- stereo capability will do (don't care for surround): check

- ability to control music selection and playback from USB/DLNA/streaming sources via a dependable Android app, wouldn't mind Spotify Connect: USB-stick/iPhone/DLNA/remote app for iOS and Android/internet radio and streaming services (but no Spotify iirc).

- bit of futureproofing with some hi-res capability, 96kHz/24bit would do: dunno; you'll have to check -- but wouldn't be a priority if it was me.

- need to connect my 42" TV (Full HD, HDMI ARC equipped, may upgrade sometime) and PS4: no HDMI, but SPDIF thru coax and optical.

- would like to improve sound of films played through USB/BD/streaming to TV: check.

- would consider decent headphone amp if the integrated amp is mediocre: has a headphone out; not sure how good it is.

- I am an amateur musician, so not completely deaf, but no audiophile, most setups would be an improvement to what I have: pretty sure it will be.

- multi-room streaming is a plus but not required: has a zone 2 output, not 'really' multiroom.

- product availability in Europe is a big plus: check.

Would leave you with a very healthy budget for speakers and a BDP (if needed).

Just a first suggestion, of course. Many will follow (probably)...

If you want great sound and minimal boxes,you should check out the Naim unitiqute 2 .it might seem to have not much power. But it's Naim Watt's we're talking about.no HDMI but you'll be able to connect ps4 and TV via optical cable. It'll sound musically a shed load better than any av amp with added streamer ,headamp etc.you'll not get much change to add a good set of speakers, but something decent second hand maybe until funds allow a worthy pair for the unitiqute.www.naimaudio.com/products.or w/h already has a review in this very site.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
If you want great sound and minimal boxes,you should check out the Naim unitiqute 2

Hi Mark,
thanks for your tip. The UnitiQute looks like a very capable box indeed. I am just wondering if I would make the most of its strenghts as currently I would be playing mainly 320 MP3s and FLACs. I do see hi-res somewhere down the line but not for a couple of years. Not sure if it would make sense to pair the Naim with budget-ish speakers.

Cheers,
J.

D

Deleted member 116933

I never understood the current trend of pairing 3k speakers to £500 amps (a bit of an over the top priceing structure but you get the point). To be honest it makes perfect sense to pair an expensive compoent/amp to a budget pair of speakers. They will be pushed to there fullest and won't highlight any short comings in the amp.

The naim isn't just an amp if you break it down, it costs £1200 or there abouts but within that box you have a DAC, amp and streamer. That will mean if you where to buy each compent seperatly it would cost you £400 for each box (at the very least) if you where to simpily divide it by 3. This is when the naim streamers really start to make sense and are actually really well priced.

The naim was built for hi res files and streaming so don't really understand what you mean by that. FLAC, Apple lossless are pretty much as good as it gets?! save for WAV and what not but they don't carry metadata very well.

Its not really about the bit rate so much as how well it was mastered in the first place. Obversily 128bit will always sound poo but 320 and beyound i'm always hard pressed to tell the difference.

Some marketing pressures do make newbies like myself fret over hi-res file compatibility, so your comment is reassuring, thanks. I find good music enjoyable regardless of the bitrate, but of course when you build a system from scratch, you want to make it sound great, be dependable, easy to use and ideally still relevant a couple of years from now. I like Naim's UnitiQute 2 more and more!

I really dig the fully connected, plug-and-play, wireless nature of posh sound bars as mentioned above, but somehow a small amp + stereo speakers appear to me a lot more than a slab under the TV, as well as their upgradeability (not sure if that's a word). It seems another slution would be a digital amp such as the NAD 7050, which I can get brand new locally for about GBP 350. What worries me there is the awful reviews the NAD app is getting from users - freezing, bugs, responsivity issues. That is a big red flag. Any experiences or tips there? For example - can I easily add streaming/DLNA/aptX BT functionality to an amp whick lacks it or has an awful app? Adding something like the Heos Link or Bluesound Node seems to do that, but maybe duplicates some of the functionality.

Thanks for putting up with my ignorance, ladies and gents, do keep the suggestions and comments coming!

D

Deleted member 116933

If you look on the big E they have the naim's on there quit often there was one on there a few nights back for 700.

Pair that with a pair of Kef LS50's (the fashion at the moment) which should sound very good indeed.

You also have provisons for power amp later if you wish! the nap 100 springs to mind. I would take this system any day over any av reciever. I have its bigger brother the Uniti 2 and can vouch for the sound it produces.

It has everything from your detailed wish list and then some. Minius the HDMI which really wouldn't faze me at all.....

Oh and it will sounds fine with 320mp3's it a very forgiving system. It really depends how they where recorded in the first place.

I really find it quite hard to tell the difference between 320 and lossless. And my system is no slouch. BUT!!! that's another debate for a different thread.

D

Deleted member 116933

Josef Havlík said:
Some marketing pressures do make newbies like myself fret over hi-res file compatibility, so your comment is reassuring, thanks. I find good music enjoyable regardless of the bitrate, but of course when you build a system from scratch, you want to make it sound great, be dependable, easy to use and ideally still relevant a couple of years from now. I like Naim's UnitiQute 2 more and more!

I really dig the fully connected, plug-and-play, wireless nature of posh sound bars as mentioned above, but somehow a small amp + stereo speakers appear to me a lot more than a slab under the TV, as well as their upgradeability (not sure if that's a word). It seems another slution would be a digital amp such as the NAD 7050, which I can get brand new locally for about GBP 350. What worries me there is the awful reviews the NAD app is getting from users - freezing, bugs, responsivity issues. That is a big red flag. Any experiences or tips there? For example - can I easily add streaming/DLNA/aptX BT functionality to an amp whick lacks it or has an awful app? Adding something like the Heos Link or Bluesound Node seems to do that, but maybe duplicates some of the functionality.

Thanks for putting up with my ignorance, ladies and gents, do keep the suggestions and comments coming!

what about this

http://www.rotel.com/UK/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=505&Tab=1&Pic=2

and this

http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/connect

with these

http://www.hifix.co.uk/speakers/hi-fi-speakers/bookshelf-speakers/kef-q100-speakers-pair

but those speakers are just my taste.... You may like something less forward. But i find kef generally go well with rotel.

The rotel could link up to your PC directly but i personally would go for the cheaper ra10 and and the sonos do all the work.

rainsoothe

Josef Havlík said:
rainsoothe said:
Pioneer n50a + arcam a19 + focal aria 906.

Thanks! That looks like a nicely balanced setup. If only I could get similar functionality and SQ in smaller components without breaking the bank...

I think you could find them within your 1500 pounds budget, not sure though. And it's only 2 separates, and not large ones at that.

If you want one box sollution, then Naim Unitiqute 2 gets a +1 from me. This little box does all but play CD, and you could add a NAP100 power amp at a later time should you desire. There's a new-ish UQ2 version that has bluetooth, but maybe you can track a second hand or ex-dem one without the bluetooth if you don't need it. People pair the UQ2 with the Focals I mentioned (Aria 906), and you should also audition with Dynaudio DM 2/7 or 2/6, KEF LS50 and maybe Neat Iota.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts