A good upscaling dvd player

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Looking for a good upscaling dvd player, already own a Samsung f-1080 and Ps3 with the Ps3 being better. And still think i can improve with a new machine, so looking for the best performance i can get for £200, don't want to go mad as im waiting for blu-ray players to iron out any problems. My search shows good and bad reviews from the Toshiba XDE-500, also considering the Onkyo DV-SP406 which is £68 multiregion as opposed to £64.99 for the Tosh. Tv is a Samsung 40f86 if this helps. Would consider Oppo as well and Denon or Pioneer if they are much better, but the budget players appeal to me most. Anybody have an Onkyo your thoughts please on how is performs against the Ps3, much appreciated.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
lobby:Looking for a good upscaling dvd player, already own a Samsung f-1080 and Ps3 with the Ps3 being better. And still think i can improve with a new machine, so looking for the best performance i can get for £200, don't want to go mad as im waiting for blu-ray players to iron out any problems. My search shows good and bad reviews from the Toshiba XDE-500, also considering the Onkyo DV-SP406 which is £68 multiregion as opposed to £64.99 for the Tosh. Tv is a Samsung 40f86 if this helps. Would consider Oppo as well and Denon or Pioneer if they are much better, but the budget players appeal to me most. Anybody have an Onkyo your thoughts please on how is performs against the Ps3, much appreciated.

You might as well go for the Sony BDPS350 bluray player. I have the S550 which has the same scaler and it's better with dvds than my old Denon 1940 which won best dvd player at £250 a couple of years ago. RS sell the Sony for £160 and you would get a decent selling price if you upgrade to a better BD player when the "problems" are "ironed out". A £200 dvd player will not keep as good a price in a years time for instance.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:You might as well go for the Sony BDPS350 bluray player.

That's what i was going to say too. I have the BDP S350 and it's upscaling is in my view nothing short of brilliant. For £150 you can't go wrong and you have blu-ray if you want to dabble in that. Sony also seem to do firmware upgrades more often than others to keep it up to date.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
although note the new Sony s360 (already available in the US for about $270 - rrp $300), will probably be a better bit of kit and it has faster load times. Might be an idea to wait 2 months for it to come out here and get properly reviewed.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I have the Pioneer LX50 which can be had for around 200 quid off ebay and id lay money it upscales better than the budget bluray players

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:I use the XDE-500 for DVD and a Pioneer BD51 for BR. The toshiba is very good and a bargain at 60quid.

DM, are you saying that the Tosh is better with dvd than the Pioneer? I'm astonished by that.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I agree, I have the Toshiba XDE500 also and its a cracking machine; upscales DVD's slightly better than my Sony SD350

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:drummerman:I use the XDE-500 for DVD and a Pioneer BD51 for BR. The toshiba is very good and a bargain at 60quid.

DM, are you saying that the Tosh is better with dvd than the Pioneer? I'm astonished by that.

On my tv the 500 gives the better picture. On an lcd with a lot of edge enhancement it may be different.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Yes ive made up my mind to get either the Toshiba or Onyko but would like some help from Clare Newsome, as i really enjoy your input. I know you tested both and say the Onkyo just edges it, the Tosh uses this XDE advancement which has had mixed views. Also has a dodgy power unit emitting a large whistling sound, is this the case for all of them or just the unlucky few. As for the 4.3 ratio needing to be strechted to 16.9 is this also true. I hope not i like Toshiba products and found the picture on my sd100-e excellent although that was a very noisy player, im just looking to get the best out of my ever increasing dvd collection now that there are so many bargains, and of course carboot sales where there only a quid. How does the noise of each machine compare and what makes the Onkyo a good upscaler, which would be the better buy to go with my Samsung LE40F86 temporary while ill hold off for the newer blu-ray players. Onkyo multiregion £68 Toshiba £70 or is there any others to consider, will go into a spare room so money not wasted. Thanks for your reply

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If you're going to upgrade in a year or two, why don;t you just get a decent brand second hand filler off eBay for the time being? Then you can sell it in a year for as much as you paid for it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts