A DAC Question from a THICKO

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok, keep hearing about people on about DAC, what is a DAC? Why would I want one? what is the benefit of a DAC, I am playing with a system change, either a Solo Mini or Marantz CR5 (Review Pending) or a Sonos set up.

So to help peeps, just some thoughts on either of the 3 options above, but also why would i want a DAC in the SONOS setup. my budget is only £1100.

Ty in anticipation of constructive comments.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
A DAC is a Digital to Audio Converter. Every CD player has one - it basically converts the digital zeros and ones into an audio signal. Some players have better DACs than others. People buy external DACs to by-pass their existing DAC in their CD player (if the CD player has a digital audio out) to get a better sound.

People also buy them to bypass the internal DACs in PC's and other hard drive based players like a Squeezebox.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
A DAC is actually a Digital to Analogue Converter, but Binman is otherwise right. There's no need for, nor indeed way to use, a DAC with any of the systems you're suggesting.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Every digital source - CD players, Sonos, etc - has an internal DAC, but if the source has a digital output then an external DAC can be used to improve the sound quality, so long as this external DAC is better.

The Sonos system is very good but sound quality is only okay, so an external DAC will be a boost to sound quality when using the digital output from the ZP80 or ZP90.

Something like a Beresford or DacMagic will show improvements, but the sky is the limit.

For just over £1,100 a Sonos ZP90 fed straight into the back of AVI's ADM9.1 looks neat.

Alternatively you could buy a separate DAC, amp and speakers, or a micro system, with or without external DAC.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
All of which is true if the OP is using the Sonos system with active speakers or an external amplifier and speakers. But given the other systems he's considering, I made the (perhaps erroneous) assumption that he's be going for the ZP120-based system, and adding conventional speakers.

In which case no DAC - not even the Beresford - would be of much use to him.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
All of which is true if the OP is using the Sonos system with active speakers or an external amplifier and speakers. But given the other systems he's considering, I made the (perhaps erroneous) assumption that he's be going for the ZP120-based system, and adding conventional speakers.

In which case no DAC - not even the Beresford - would be of much use to him.

Although a Beresford will improve the sound of a ZP90 the gains are probably marginal using a micro system.

For £1,100 there are good ways to utilise Sonos though, as mentioned above.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Andrew your right, the ZP120 is the system I am seriously considering, and ty for the exlanation of DAC, cant wait to get bottom down to London at the weekend and spend my end of tax year bonus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts