"a CD transport doesn't affect sound quality"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 188516

Considering I'm heavily dyslexic I'm surprised that's the only spelling mistake you picked up on in that piece along along with missing words, bad punctuation and sentences generally just garbled messes oh then there the there's I can never get them right. But thankfully I don't type or write much as a creative, but I am getting better at things and I have good and bad days. But thanks for pointing out the mistake ill take it on board and remember the next time.

take him with a pinch of salt he is a bit of a joker !

D

Deleted member 188516

No such thing as hip hop back then. He was a soul singer.

i thought you was going to say no such thing as a hip hop star !

(very little originality in that "music"...)

D

Deleted member 188516

I think there more difference between analog cables than digital cables

not according to trevc if i have understood him correctly (?). i have read of people using 2 coaxial digital cables in place of the usual "analogue" interconnects however...

iMark

I subscribe to the theory that a properly ripped CD (with error correction) to lossless files circumvents all the mechanics in a disc spinner. Then stream the lossless wirelessly to a DAC and you have the best possible quality that your DAC can muster.

D

Deleted member 188516

I subscribe to the theory that a properly ripped CD (with error correction) to lossless files circumvents all the mechanics in a disc spinner. Then stream the lossless wirelessly to a DAC and you have the best possible quality that your DAC can muster.

this makes sense to me, even if it means, some of what i have typed above makes me seem dumb or that i'm contradicting myself.

what transport would be needed however to produce a "properly" ripped, sorry, played cd in real time ?

(i have read that the least amount of error correction the better - correct ?)

i believe the quality of a cd transport in a cd player matters, even if the differences are subtle, compared to the cheaper less "well engineered" examples.

TrevC

this makes sense to me, even if it means, some of what i have typed above makes me seem dumb or that i'm contradicting myself.

what transport would be needed however to produce a "properly" ripped, sorry, played cd in real time ?

(i have read that the least amount of error correction the better - correct ?)

i believe the quality of a cd transport in a cd player matters, even if the differences are subtle, compared to the cheaper less "well engineered" examples.
Of course it matters. A broken transport won't work and a sub standard one will skip. But there's no subtlety involved.

Last edited:

iMark

@plus 1 The amount of error correction depends on the state of the disc. I have ripped CDs that we're scratched. They would skip in a regular player but after quite a few attempts by the ripping program eventually it would produce a perfectly ripped file. But I will even rip brand new CDs with error correction to get a perfect rip.

It's interesting that topics about CD transports are still being started. It should be common knowledge for about 20 years now that ripping a CD will produce better sound than the most expensive CD player. HiFi-nerds find it impossible to comprehend that it's even possible that a computer with a cheap DVD drive can produce a better sounding file than that same CD played on an extremely expensive CD player.

Last edited:
Only with the addition of a very good DAC, mind. And on a system that (I suspect, but do not state as fact) would be beyond what most who use a PC as source would consider. Being a nerd can be a good thing!

I keep my music as CDs as otherwise there are things I would never listen to again. I have too many to browse effectively on a screen, and being able to take in what's on the shelves (sometimes seeing something and recognising the colour of the spine out of the corner of your eye) keeps these things on my listening radar.

In simple terms there are many ways of enjoying music - who cares what other people do if you are happy with what you do?

iMark

There's absolutely nothing wrong with listening to a CD through a CD player. I'm just pointing out that investing in very expensive CD players is probably not the most cost effective upgrade.

There's a review of a £15k Audio Research CDP in this month's WHF. Interestingly, towards the end the piece states that the CD drive sounds better than even hi res files from laptop through the player's DAC - a comparison which should give an advantage to the laptop.

I'm sure that some will think that's the magazine hawking product, but realistically that's not where its advertising revenue comes from. Having never heard a player in that league, I can't comment.

TrevC

There's a review of a £15k Audio Research CDP in this month's WHF. Interestingly, towards the end the piece states that the CD drive sounds better than even hi res files from laptop through the player's DAC - a comparison which should give an advantage to the laptop.

I'm sure that some will think that's the magazine hawking product, but realistically that's not where its advertising revenue comes from. Having never heard a player in that league, I can't comment.
WHF think mains wires sound different, so their reviews are worthless.

Jimboo

@plus 1 The amount of error correction depends on the state of the disc. I have ripped CDs that we're scratched. They would skip in a regular player but after quite a few attempts by the ripping program eventually it would produce a perfectly ripped file. But I will even rip brand new CDs with error correction to get a perfect rip.

It's interesting that topics about CD transports are still being started. It should be common knowledge for about 20 years now that ripping a CD will produce better sound than the most expensive CD player. HiFi-nerds find it impossible to comprehend that it's even possible that a computer with a cheap DVD drive can produce a better sounding file than that same CD played on an extremely expensive CD player.
Just as the rippers fail to understand the futility of the whole process of ripping thanks to hi res - streaming which will be the number one source for nearly everyone.
Rippers are VHS / cassette fans reinvented for the noughties.
Nuances of sound improvement obtained by buying more stuff to hear it/create it while - right in front of their noses there is finally the option to have more for less.
20 years from now ? Active speakers and a streaming device will be the majority choice. Fact.

iMark

Most people aren't interested in hi-res. CD quality is more than good enough for music reproduction, especially when people stream to tiny bluetooth speakers. I have a small collection of SACDs, DVD-As and BD-As. The sound is very good if done well. But so is the sound of CDs when done well.

abacus

Just as the rippers fail to understand the futility of the whole process of ripping thanks to hi res - streaming which will be the number one source for nearly everyone.
Rippers are VHS / cassette fans reinvented for the noughties.
Nuances of sound improvement obtained by buying more stuff to hear it/create it while - right in front of their noses there is finally the option to have more for less.
20 years from now ? Active speakers and a streaming device will be the majority choice. Fact.

Look at history, the streamer and actives you mention will in 20 years be like CD & Vinyl is today, Obsolete, however many will still use it (Just as people use CD & Vinyl today) as it’s what they grew up with and like its sound.

In 20 years you will become what you think CD & Vinyl owners are today, as you try to hold on to antiquated streaming.

Bill

Jimboo

Most people aren't interested in hi-res. CD quality is more than good enough for music reproduction, especially when people stream to tiny bluetooth speakers. I have a small collection of SACDs, DVD-As and BD-As. The sound is very good if done well. But so is the sound of CDs when done well.
Ok , you advocate ripping cd because it improves the sound of cd. Cd quality is good enough though ?
You have and use niche formats that sales say no one wants.
Sound quality is important but all formats done well sound good but you rip.
Streamers use tiny speakers and sound bad , what format doesn't.
No one wants Hi-Res even though when done properly sounds good.
Device sales , format subscription and hardware sales point to the fact that Hi-Res may not be what people are interested in but given the hardware they buy and the sound quality they can have as a bonus suggests I am correct.

Gray

Considering I'm heavily dyslexic I'm surprised that's the only spelling mistake you picked up on in that piece along along with missing words, bad punctuation and sentences generally just garbled messes oh then there the there's I can never get them right. But thankfully I don't type or write much as a creative, but I am getting better at things and I have good and bad days. But thanks for pointing out the mistake ill take it on board and remember the next time.
Sorry to hear about your dyslexia millennia - please don't take my ramblings personally. There is not one person on here that is free of mistakes - and why should there be?
I said I'd like a quid for every mistake....TrevC then kindly pointed out one I made above :unsure:
It's more about what you say, than how you write it and you talk a lot of sense (y)

Jimboo

Look at history, the streamer and actives you mention will in 20 years be like CD & Vinyl is today, Obsolete, however many will still use it (Just as people use CD & Vinyl today) as it’s what they grew up with and like its sound.

In 20 years you will become what you think CD & Vinyl owners are today, as you try to hold on to antiquated streaming.

Bill
I get what you mean Bill but your answer and logic is a little confusing.
If there is a new format that's how it goes isn't it?
I use cd 90% records 10% to listen to music.
I stream to hear new bands or on the move.
The actual idea that people will revert to physical media given the use of tablets and phones is absurd.
People love Ford Capris but they are for a dwindling bunch of enthusiasts.
Hi-fi as we know it Bill is over. Carrying streamable high quality music that requires one device for home, car , walking or by the pool on holiday . Come on man , for us the physical format this is true. Everything , everything points to the fact you couldn't be more wrong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts