"a CD transport doesn't affect sound quality"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 188516

Don't comment on spelling mistakes Trev, the poster's can't help it.
I made a general comment on the amount of spelling mistakes on the forum - and here's the actual reply I got:

'That’s a little rude. There’s many on here from all walks of life. Some don’t spend there days writing at all, some have learning difficulties and so on. Not to mention many write on there phones on this forum. And possibly while there walking around and on the move'.

So now you know, it's not there their fault.....it may just be because there they're walking around on the go.

+1.

D

Deleted member 188516

"a decent DVD or Bluray player should be able to generate good CD data too, because they work to even finer tolerances, and they all seem to have audio S/PDIF outputs capable of feeding an external DAC".

I agree! How much is a DVD player?

dvd players cost very little now but is this not an example of the "disk" transport (cd, dvd whatever) having an affect on sound quality ?!

gasolin

Must say my old philips blueray player don't sound as good as what i use now, i couldn't update software and it's so slow, it's working,only okay if you just want to watch a bluray on at tv, as a transporter with no dedicated play buttons on the unit it's not good

TrevC

Don't comment on spelling mistakes Trev, the poster's can't help it.
I made a general comment on the amount of spelling mistakes on the forum - and here's the actual reply I got:

'That’s a little rude. There’s many on here from all walks of life. Some don’t spend there days writing at all, some have learning difficulties and so on. Not to mention many write on there phones on this forum. And possibly while there walking around and on the move'.

So now you know, it's not there their fault.....it may just be because there they're walking around on the go.
Poster's? :O)

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 188516

Poster's? :O)

may i ask do you think it makes any sense to separate the cd transport and dac (in two separate boxes obviously !) and linking with a digital cable (optical or coaxial - which type best ?) or are the one box cd player designs, in theory, just as good ?

TrevC

may i ask do you think it makes any sense to separate the cd transport and dac (in two separate boxes obviously !) and linking with a digital cable (optical or coaxial - which type best ?) or are the one box cd player designs, in theory, just as good ?
I don't think there's any point in separating them. Optical or coax will sound the same.

D

Deleted member 116933

Nothing worse than trying to draw when you're a bit wobbly. Or do you mean drawer?
I had to replace the drawer driving gear on my Philips, which is widely available as an aftermarket part, fortunately.

Considering I'm heavily dyslexic I'm surprised that's the only spelling mistake you picked up on in that piece along along with missing words, bad punctuation and sentences generally just garbled messes oh then there the there's I can never get them right. But thankfully I don't type or write much as a creative, but I am getting better at things and I have good and bad days. But thanks for pointing out the mistake ill take it on board and remember the next time.

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 188516

I don't think there's any point in separating them. Optical or coax will sound the same.

could information be lost between the transport and dac via the digital cable ?

thats not what i meant !
(i appreciate your humour)

is the digital cable an area where information can be lost ?
Was that meant for me?
It quoted TrevC so wasn't sure.
I don't believe information can be lost because you're using a digital / optical cable, if this happened there would be a few computer servers coming to a grinding halt on a regular basis....

D

Deleted member 188516

Was that meant for me?
It quoted TrevC so wasn't sure.
I don't believe information can be lost because you're using a digital / optical cable, if this happened there would be a few computer servers coming to a grinding halt on a regular basis....

it was meant for trevc but thanks for the reply.

stupid question then but why are the coaxial digital cables available in multiple designs/levels/prices ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts