"a CD transport doesn't affect sound quality"

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 116933

I think with all things Hi fi, the ceiling gets hit very early and then becomes over engineered to the point where really there are no gains to be made. But that's the same in all areas of engineering.

I suspect is does make a difference but how audible is it to the general listener? your guess is as good as mine
and they get round these problems with internal buffers so really I guess you could argue transports are some what redundant like me right now LOL.

The best "budget" implementation of a plater I've ever seen and it works really well was the pioneer stable plater mech you have to remember to place the disc shiny side up. That player really did sound very good but was it because of the mech. Im trying to find one in good condition that hasn't been modified.

D

Deleted member 188516

I think with all things Hi fi, the ceiling gets hit very early and then becomes over engineered to the point where really there are no gains to be made. But that's the same in all areas of engineering.

I suspect is does make a difference but how audible is it to the general listener? your guess is as good as mine
and they get round these problems with internal buffers so really I guess you could argue transports are some what redundant like me right now LOL.

The best "budget" implementation of a plater I've ever seen and it works really well was the pioneer stable plater mech you have to remember to place the disc shiny side up. That player really did sound very good but was it because of the mech. Im trying to find one in good condition that hasn't been modified.

some good points made.

this thread was in response to a statement by trevc.

i started a new thread on this subject as not to be deleted by the mods...

a quick google search resulted in this :-

D

Deleted member 116933

some good points made.

You also have to remember that after a certain point it becomes just as much about the physical as it about the sound. The user experience In other words. Think how nice it would feel to actually use those pieces of equipment, the fit and finish just must be out of this world. At as this level its just as important.

I lost count how many times I've pressed eject on a CD player and the draw wobbles all over the place and makes a loud rumble and clonk. They do the job but is it a nice experience?

D

Deleted member 188516

You also have to remember that after a certain point it becomes just as much about the physical as it about the sound. The user experience In other words. Think how nice it would feel to actually use those pieces of equipment, the fit and finish just must be out of this world. At as this level its just as important.

I lost count how many times I've pressed eject on a CD player and the draw wobbles all over the place and makes a loud rumble and clonk. They do the job but is it a nice experience?

true. the sony xb930e uk tuned cd player i had (with its fixed pick up mechanism) operated smoothly and screamed quality to me etc, but to state that "a cd transport doesn't affect sound quality", really ?!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 188516

My dvd player sounds a little better than my cdplayer but not much (use an external dac)

i believe dvd player transports are better than the ones found in cd players (true ?) hence i have had them get recommended to feed dac's.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 188516

Adding weight to dampen down vibrations in my CDP had a noticeable effect, so I think the mechanical part of a CDP/transport matters.

My understanding is that the laser in BR is not typically optimised for CD.

dampening / eliminating vibrations is one of the aims / features of the esoteric atlas design so, as stated, it must matter !

i was advised to use a dvd or blu-ray player as a transport to feed the dac of some active loudspeakers i was going to demo as they were better than a cd version !

TrevC

Nothing worse than trying to draw when you're a bit wobbly. Or do you mean drawer?
I had to replace the drawer driving gear on my Philips, which is widely available as an aftermarket part, fortunately.

D

Deleted member 188516

Nothing worse than trying to draw when you're a bit wobbly. Or do you mean drawer?
I had to replace the drawer driving gear on my Philips, which is widely available as an aftermarket part, fortunately.

please read / comment on this article :-

TrevC

some good points made.

That's the thing about Google. Most of it is just someone's opinion. But have a think about it. Both a cheap computer drive and an expensive blingy transport will produce an identical stream of bits from a given CD to feed a DAC with. Unless the DAC is a discerning electric snob how will it sound different on different transports?
There was a well known Copland CD player that used a cheap Toshiba computer drive, people raved over the sound until they looked inside.

D

Deleted member 188516

That's the thing about Google. Most of it is just someone's opinion. But have a think about it. Both a cheap computer drive and an expensive blingy transport will produce an identical stream of bits from a given CD to feed a DAC with. Unless the DAC is a discerning electric snob how will it sound different on different transports?
There was a well known Copland CD player that used a cheap Toshiba computer drive, people raved over the sound until they looked inside.

forums are also full of just someones opinions..including mine !

the article above appeared in the magazine too i believe - right or wrong i believe i now know your answer !
(genuinely appreciate you answering this).

finally then (i'll ask a stupid question) what are your views of the features mentioned regarding the esoteric atlas transport ?

are esoteric wasting there time ?

Jimboo

the article above appeared in the magazine too i believe - right or wrong i believe i now know your answer !

finally then (i'll ask a stupid question) what are your views of the features mentioned regarding the esoteric atlas transport ?

Does your washing powder wash whiter than white ?
It's advertising by esoteric . It's spin , the tag line and the sales pitch. C.d players work or they don't. There is no middle ground. No old style record player strobe control or the wrong speed or dust on a stylus problems , audible transport noise (gimme a break) ,green rimmed laser guided laser alignment atomic driven readers ? Playing and designing a disc reader is a piece of piss. Harder to build HMS victory from an airfix kit.

Jimboo

a cd players transport doesn't affect sound quality... apparently !

if this is true well esoteric, dcs and others have been wasting their time...

as a result this example below by esoteric must be the biggest scam in hifi !

Actually , they don't actually mention that it sounds better. They just say it dampens resonance. This and other forums are awash with "what can I do about c.d player resonance.
Hi fi buffs love to have problems that they have never noticed fixed. It plays better with the display off , no tray , no problems etc , etc.

TrevC

Not if they sell many of them.

TrevC

please read / comment on this article :-

"a decent DVD or Bluray player should be able to generate good CD data too, because they work to even finer tolerances, and they all seem to have audio S/PDIF outputs capable of feeding an external DAC".

I agree! How much is a DVD player?

Gray

Don't comment on spelling mistakes Trev, the poster's can't help it.
I made a general comment on the amount of spelling mistakes on the forum - and here's the actual reply I got:

'That’s a little rude. There’s many on here from all walks of life. Some don’t spend there days writing at all, some have learning difficulties and so on. Not to mention many write on there phones on this forum. And possibly while there walking around and on the move'.

So now you know, it's not there their fault.....it may just be because there they're walking around on the go.

D

Deleted member 188516

Actually , they don't actually mention that it sounds better. They just say it dampens resonance. This and other forums are awash with "what can I do about c.d player resonance.
Hi fi buffs love to have problems that they have never noticed fixed. It plays better with the display off , no tray , no problems etc , etc.

resonance and its effects, i believe, affect how well the laser reads the cd - correct ?.
(hence the market for isolation devices).

reducing this resonance to a minimum is therefore good - correct ?

this reduction in resonance therefore means the (unwanted) use of the error correction circuit is avoided.

the guessing of the 0/1's signal - agree ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts