A backwards step?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks mate,

I had read all but the last one.

Trawled through a few forums as well, hard to find anyone with a bad thing to say about them.

Mainly that they need to be well matched because of their revealing nature.

I had intended to try and stay away from any online reviews until after I'd listened to them, but I didn't have the fortitude. :oops:

Watched my first bluray with them last night, "Oblivion", thought a big sci-fi flick would give them a fair work-out.

Wooo, delivered in spades :dance:
Pretty sure the neighbours must have thought Tom Cruise was going to come crashing through the wall at any moment :twisted:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Thanks mate,

Trawled through a few forums as well, hard to find anyone with a bad thing to say about them.

I had intended to try and stay away from any online reviews until after I'd listened to them, but I didn't have the fortitude. :oops:

Watched my first bluray with them last night, "Oblivion", thought a big sci-fi flick would give them a fair work-out.

Pretty sure the neighbours must have thought Tom Cruise was going to come crashing through the wall at any moment :twisted:

There are lots of options to go 5.1, with 2 stunning centre speakers available. :shifty:

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:
Thanks mate,

There are lots of options to go 5.1, with 2 stunning centre speakers available. :shifty:

Let me guess, you're thinking a 205 centre & some 201's or 206's for surround? :rofl:

You're incorrigible!

Why not get rid of the JLs & throw in a couple of 209s for good measure?

Wouldn't be so funny if the thought hadn't already drifted through my mind >)

:shhh: I've already had to pull out the old "no that will be it for a while now darling I promise" a few times since the weekend. Not that I think she believes me for a minute anymore :oops:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Let me guess, you're thinking a 205 centre & some 201's or 206's for surround? :rofl:

You're incorrigible!

:shhh: I've already had to pull out the old "no that will be it for a while now darling I promise" a few times since the weekend. Not that I think she believes me for a minute anymore :oops:

Nope!

202 / 2c Centre (ex-dem)

LS50s Surround

You'll get away with just the one 209 :shifty:

T

the record spot

Just out of interest Cno, had you considered other speakers around the LS50 price point? Acoustic Energy AE1 Classics, Tannoy Precision 6.1s, even MAD1920s to pick but three?

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:

You're incorrigible!

Nope!

202 / 2c Centre (ex-dem)

LS50s Surround

You'll get away with just the one 209 :shifty:

That is perhaps a workable solution.

The 205 is just too big @ 1100 long. My current centre is a 6 way @ 900 long and fits perfectly into my stand. I'll keep an eye out for ex-demo 205, but doubt they come up too often. Any idea on RRP?

LS50 for surround would be the more afforadable solution, BTH I'm not overly fussed about my surround speakers.

Have you seen the 209 in action? Loooks like a beast of a sub. Anything in the way of onboard room correction?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
That is perhaps a workable solution.

The 205 is just too big @ 1100 long. My current centre is a 6 way @ 900 long and fits perfectly into my stand. I'll keep an eye out for ex-demo 205, but doubt they come up too often. Any idea on RRP?

LS50 for surround would be the more afforadable solution, BTH I'm not overly fussed about my surround speakers.

Have you seen the 209 in action? Loooks like a beast of a sub. Anything in the way of onboard room correction?

The two model numbers for the Centre speakers are:

1. 202/2c (H 200 x W 630 x D 315).....£1500 / £2000 (Gloss)

2. 204/2c (H 200 x W 1100 x D 425))....£3000 / £3500 (Gloss)

I own the 209: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/and-finally

It has a very subtle effect, can go low enough to make you queasy and does seismic bass with little distortion. It also has a terrific EQ system, with expensive microphone.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here is the sub Manual: http://www.pearlaudiovideo.com/media/referencesub_manual_en.pdf

The site edit function is a bit flakey atm.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Dare I ask what the RRP is for the sub?

It costs £8k (Gloss) / £7k (Matt)

Mine was a Kef Demo one that they left in NI after a promo week (they didn't want to haul it back). I mooched it for a silly price and got good money for my Velodyne SPL 1200 R.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:
Dare I ask what the RRP is for the sub?

It costs £8k (Gloss) / £7k (Matt)

Mine was a Kef Demo one that they left in NI after a promo week (they didn't want to haul it back). I mooched it for a silly price and got good money for my Velodyne SPL 1200 R.

Can't see that one sneaking past the leader of the opposition any time soon!

Budget scrutiny is not too severe, but I doubt I could push things that far :rofl:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
Just out of interest Cno, had you considered other speakers around the LS50 price point? Acoustic Energy AE1 Classics, Tannoy Precision 6.1s, even MAD1920s to pick but three?

Not really, as I wanted the Kef "house sound" to match my Ref Centre as closely as possible. There is also the fact that, of the three you suggested, I only have access to the Tannoy, which I didn't like as much as the LS50s (good speaker though).

An interesting review with measurements: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/12/20/review-kef-ls50-speaker

TRENDING THREADS