9 hi-fi tricks you might not believe affect sound quality (but they do)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

majex45

Nov 22, 2020
Wires do make a difference, even to my old & jaded ears. I have one interconnect that makes everything shrill and annoying. I don't know why, it is from a reputable maker. It sounds bad even comparing it to the freeby cables from the manufacturer. How can a piece of co-ax effect the sound so much? It's only copper wire in a copper wire screen. Surely at our frequency range (~10 Hz to ~25 kHz) the wire should not make a difference. At RF or microwave frequencies I can see it but (as was once said to me by an RF engineer) we're basically talking DC here.
If this example makes such a huge difference then I can believe more subtle differences could be heard by better ears than mine.

RudyB

Sep 5, 2021
ROFL ... 8 of these 9 'tricks' are so funny. Closing your eyes works, it greatly enhances the immersive feeling and the perception of placement of instruments and voices in the soundstage.

Nothing about room acoustics? The greatest contributor in messing up the sound by multiple dB's at several frequencies ... far greater than rattling speaker cables on the floor.

Also forgot to mention to shoot the chirping birds in the garden ... oh, wait, that's why listening at night is better. :)

Last edited:

BROKEN

Sep 16, 2021
I've been an audiophike for almost 50 years. I still can't believe this BS your spouting. Pausing the CD and then starting playing again makes it sound different? I suppose you think that there are aliens living among us,, the US neverlanded on the moon, and you're probably an anti-vaxxer too. Freaking ridiculous
Excuse me!? What person start spewing political BS?
Healthcare workers such as hospital nurses and doctors aren't even showing up to work in NY because they don't want the vax

Acalthu

Oct 3, 2021
I'd like a technical answer to stopping vs pausing a CD. When you press 'Pause', you're literally just suspending the data stream into the DAC, nothing more, nothing less. As for the person who mentioned early CD players which had to be stopped to clear its buffers, that's how it works today as well, i.e. the buffer will always contain data while the player is playing music. It means nothing to clear a buffer, since they can't hold "dirty" data (you'd hear it instantly). Ideally the buffer should be fully utilized anyway, because it helps when reading dirty and scratched discs. But stop vs pause? Utter bollocks.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS