What Hi-Fi’s audio improvement tricks

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tones

May 11, 2023
Visit site
There's a world of difference between Peter Belt's woo-woo nonsense and how the different ways in which amplifiers are designed might affect their sound. An article on the former doesn't illuminate the latter.

(It's also worth stressing that I had no preconceptions about differences between how the Arcam and MF amps would sound, so there was no scope for 'hearing what I wanted/expected to hear.')
You're right of course about Belt and the fact that his peculiar devices are poles apart from amplifier design, but the basic principle mentioned by Gordon Holt holds true for both - we filter what we perceive through our senses via all our previous experiences/preferences/preconceptions, often subconsciously, and in truth none of us can claim to be truly objective, because we are not instruments. I've seen this so often in the taste/smell field (where double-blind testing and statistical analysis is the norm, even in the case of expert panels).

In short, one man's perception is another man's woo.

I respect that you heard what you heard, even if I suspect that it has no basis in reality. The point is that is is your reality, and that is the only reality that matters. My reality is of no relevance to your experience, so, if we accept this, everyone's happy.

I confess that I am a hardened sceptic, because I once believed in these differences. This was largely because I was inexperienced in the hi-fi business and these people were so much more knowledgeable than I. So I tended to hear differences, because I thought I should hear differences. Yes, gullible I know.

A couple of things changed my mind. First there was a Mana stand, said to produce miraculous results under an LP12. So I bought one, and the difference it made was - none. More precisely, absolutely none. Then I had a loan of a Naim CD player, and the dealer also loaned me a power supply, which, he assured me, would make a huge difference. So I tried it, and when he asked me whether there had been a difference, I said there had - there were twice as many green lights.

All of this has made me perhaps too sceptical. But this is the reality in which I live, and I'm happy with it. It has certainly saved me from the dreaded upgrading disease.

I respect that you heard what you heard, even if I suspect that it has no basis in reality.
That's a fairly low level of respect, I would suggest! I think you've made this view clear - there really is no need to keep saying it.

There are many kinds of amplifier design (different classes etc) and different design philosophies (such as choke regulation, which MF uses - or at least used to). Is it really so hard to believe that they don't all sound identical? On second thoughts, you've already answered that - and we'll keep going round in circles.

podknocker

I doubt any 2 amplifiers sound the same, considering the many types available and all the components in the signal path.

Critical listening would probably reveal subtle differences quickly and when you've become familiar with a certain sounding amp, a change would possibly be something of a shock.

I've had a few amps and noticed a certain sonic signature with all of them.

The differences are not as pronounced as they are with speakers, but they are there.

I doubt any 2 amplifiers sound the same, considering the many types available and all the components in the signal path.
When I've had the lid off power and (in particular) preamps, I am struck by how full the boxes are. The CDP is mostly air in its big box, but the amps are chock-full. Not that I had seen this when I got them and made my mind up about how they sounded.

EDIT - thought occurs that we are off topic, but as the original post is about a lot of vague stuff, I think that's probably acceptable.

podknocker

When I've had the lid off power and (in particular) preamps, I am struck by how full the boxes are. The CDP is mostly air in its big box, but the amps are chock-full. Not that I had seen this when I got them and made my mind up about how they sounded.

EDIT - thought occurs that we are off topic, but as the original post is about a lot of vague stuff, I think that's probably acceptable.
LOL.

I'm trying not to wander too far from the topic these days.

I'm doing well not using the C or F words either!

I refer to those things as devices or wiring now, as I know it gets people fuming otherwise!

The £8k 'device' and the wiring threads need to be put to bed I think now.

Reactions: 12th Monkey

tones

May 11, 2023
Visit site
That's a fairly low level of respect, I would suggest! I think you've made this view clear - there really is no need to keep saying it.
No disrespect or low level of respect intended. We each hear what we hear, and we are happy with what we hear. From experience, I am aware of the dangers of hearing what is actually not there. I am perfectly happy for purchasers of Peter Belt devices to hear improvements, provided that I'm not expected also to hear them
Is it really so hard to believe that they don't all sound identical?
In a word, yes. It seems to me thast a properly-designed amplifier working with its design limits will do its job of making a little noise into a big noise. So we'll leave it at that.

BiggaJ

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Agreed. It’s not just closing your eyes though. The whole trick when closing your eyes is to not only forget that the speakers are there in order to focus on where the instruments are placed and where sounds emanate from, but also to not be drawn to the boundaries of your room. Psychologically, if you see your walls, the sound will generally fall within those walls - if you can forget you’re in your room and forget the walls exist, it’s surprising just how much bigger the soundstage can be. Only problem is, one little noise in the room and you’re pulled out of that zone - complete silence is required (other than the music).

I have to say that when I do close my eyes listening to music it is true you forget the constraints of the room. The sound when closed does not seem to come from the speakers but more from across the space in front. When opening my eyes the sound goes back to the speakers.

Reactions: davidf

podknocker

I have to say that when I do close my eyes listening to music it is true you forget the constraints of the room. The sound when closed does not seem to come from the speakers but more from across the space in front. When opening my eyes the sound goes back to the speakers.
It makes sense that your sense of hearing could be heightened by closing your eyes.

Your brain will try to take in and process as much data as it can, from wherever it can.

The human brain is still fairly plastic, until old age and synapses can be rewired to improve learning and memory.

People who can't see, have very good hearing and are like bats, pinpointing goal posts in front of them for example.

Some blind people can build a picture of their surroundings, with amazing precision, usually by making a bat like clicking sound.

If you are warm and safe and in a dark, comfy environment, you will perceive sounds much better and enjoy music more.

Humans are unlike any other animal really and your brain is always helping you understand the world around you.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggaJ

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
A little known trick for 26.6% better fidelity across a wide audio spectrum is to look for a phono to USB adapter for your turntable. Preferably with gold connectors to get an extra 9% improvement on the improvement.

TRENDING THREADS