8D Music anyone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iMark

There's an article in my Dutch newspaper today about the fad of 8D.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/cultuur-m...ie-of-een-geinig-tijdelijk-speeltje~b3c30ecc/ You may try to copy and paste it into Google translate.

The article goes into the origins of the phenomenon, going back to three dimensional audio and binaural audio.
In the 1970s there were experiments with "holofonic" sound, like on Lou Reed's Street Hassle album from 1973.

Apparently 8D was first mentioned in 2017. In 2018 a student in sound engineering from Colombia started tinkering with tunes in "8D". The term itself is gross exaggeration of something not that complicated.

Three dimensional sound is a technique to trick the brain. It will give us a feeling of floating because we can't pinpoint where the voices or instruments actually are. It feels a bit like being at a live concert. This could explain why 8D is popular at the moment because we can't go to concerts.

It's not the future of audio. Listening to 8D via earphones is too tiring and irritating after a while. But 8D is nice toy for some experiments and fun in these troubled times. HiFi it ain't.

Last edited:

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Seems like a gimmick to me, a way to get people to spend money. Reminds me of the time Sky TV were telling us that 3D would be the future, I don’t know anyone that subscribed to that Sky package or who even owns a 3D tv. I’m pretty sure Sky no longer offer that package anymore.

Then again, I’m old so what do I know.

D

Deleted member 108165

Well, that didn't take long.
You never know, they might even be amongst us...

Chris
Would you not agree that it is purely novelty value? Would you also not agree that many people, be they young or old, have not heard what a real stereo image sounds like through a hi-fi.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts