7.1 versus 5.1

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Anybody gone through the process of buying the extra two speakers and noticed a major improvement?

My receiver is capable of pumping out 7.1, but I only have 5.1 speakers at the mo. Due to the shape of the room and location of the TV, the left side speakers are farther apart than the right set. The receivers auto setup has made a good job of compensating for this problem, but I wonder if a middle speaker at either side might help the front to rear sound shifts a little more.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
7.1 working is designed to add two rear speakers behind the listening position, but using this arrangement might help you move your current surround L/R speakers forward a bit, but these speakers should never be forward of the listening position. What's the receiver? And what are the speakers you're using?

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Cheers Andrew,

Speakers are Tannoy EFX 5.1's. Receiver is a Denon 1707. I was looking at 7.1 as a good excuse to put in a pair of slightly better stereo fronts and relegate the newly redundant front satellites to surround speakers.

Are you saying that whether it be 5.1 or 7.1 the only speakers that should be in front of the listening position are the centre and front two? The "surround" speakers are currently behind the listening position on the rear wall, but adding in two more to the "rear surround" channels behind the listening position would be impossible due to the shape and size of the room.

I'm guessing I've misunderstood, but I think the Denon manual suggests putting the two side speakers alongside the listening position, basically firing directly at your ears. Is this contrary to the accepted wisdom on this matter? After all we take you to be the font of all wisdom on these things... :)

TRENDING THREADS