7.1 System: Surround back or Front Presence

hubiedubie

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,Just ordered the following bit of kit: Yamaha Aventage A2010 receiver, 3 Monitor Audio Apex A40s (fronts and centre), 2 Monitor Audio Apex A10s (surround - slightly behind the listening position). I also have 2 B&W M1 speakers which I will use for either front presence or surround backs. Which would give a better movie experience?

Hi there,

Just ordered the following bit of kit: Yamaha Aventage A2010 receiver, 3 Monitor Audio Apex A40s (fronts and centre), 2 Monitor Audio Apex A10s (surround - slightly behind the listening position). I also have 2 B&W M1 speakers which I will use for either front presence or surround backs.

Which configuration of the B&W M1s would give a better movie experience?

A

Anonymous

Surround back will give a more authentic experience, as all 7.1 soundtracks are created for surround back speakers. For front height speakers you need to rely on Dolby processing.

That said, most movies still ship with 5.1 soundtracks, and in that case you'll be relying on sound processing either way. Front height speakers tend to be more noticable, and for most people easier to place. Best way is to try out for yourself.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
But there seems to be a run on 7.1 soundtracks at the moment.

The Jurassic Park films are all 7.1, Super 8 is 7.1, Transformers 3 is 7.1.

Personally, I think you should use surround rear speakers as this was what 7.1 was made for.

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Definitely rears!Best idea though would be buy two more M1's and go 9.1...no doubt your Yammy has the ability to switch between front height and surround rear?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts