admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I am new to WhatHiFi and this forum, but have been reading your posts a lot and find them very helpful. I had a NAD320+Heybrook HB4s earlier.

I bought the 684s and A18 about 2 weeks ago, but am not happy with the absence of mids and strong vocals. The B&Ws are bright, but it sounds like my favorite music (Coldplay, Supertramp, Alan Parsons, Fleetwood etc) is choked.

I am planning to switch the A18 for the NAD 326 to get the powerful bass and mids that I like.

However, I tried the MA RX6s with the A18 today and was quite impressed with the sound. They were definitely more musical and seemed lile I could listen to them for longer.

Need your suggestions on the 2 choices...
1. Keep B&W 684 and get a NAD 326
2. Keep Arcam A18 and get the MA RX6s Need to decide in 7 days (30 dya trial finishes)

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I auditioned the A18/RX6 combo not long ago and compared the RX6's to the 684's. The RX6's and A18 were a clear cut winner, from what I heard. The B&W's as you say, sounded very bright and choked. The Monitor Audios are warmer and more relaxed, though no less detailed, so they partner well with the smooth sound of the A18.

My vote for sure goes to the A18 with the RX6's.

edit: Forgot to mention, I owned a C326BEE for a while. The sound definetly is a tad more 'boomy' than other amps, I wouldn't say that the A18 loses any outright depth or weight to it though. The A18 is also far more detailed than the C326BEE along with providing more current, which always aids to the control of your drivers. I would avoid the C326 with the 684's, I don't think that would be a good partnering.

Monstrous said:
I auditioned the A18/RX6 combo not long ago and compared the RX6's to the 684's. The RX6's and A18 were a clear cut winner, from what I heard. The B&W's as you say, sounded very bright and choked. The Monitor Audios are warmer and more relaxed, though no less detailed, so they partner well with the smooth sound of the A18.

My vote for sure goes to the A18 with the RX6's.

edit: Forgot to mention, I owned a C326BEE for a while. The sound definetly is a tad more 'boomy' than other amps, I wouldn't say that the A18 loses any outright depth or weight to it though. The A18 is also far more detailed than the C326BEE along with providing more current, which always aids to the control of your drivers. I would avoid the C326 with the 684's, I don't think that would be a good partnering.

Glad I'm not the only one who prefers Arcam & MAs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Plastic Penguin and Monstrous

I am trying the NAD326 and B&W 684s now. I like the boom the NAD adds (it also half the price of the Arcam!), but not happy with the ovrall sound ...so I guess its the B&W 684s that need to go.

Can I pair the NAD326 and the Monitor RX6s? Would that work...or would you still recommend that I get the Arcam A18 and the Monitor RX6

NAD326+RX6 = 1300 USD
ARCAM A18+RX6 = 2000 USD

Thanks

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
The 684's are no slouches, but the RX6 is in a different league IMO. Better on all fronts. I'd go for the RX6, but I think you should consider springing for a Roksan Kandy K2. This will give you better mids with plenty of bass, out performing the Arcam and the NAD by a good margin. A killer combo if you ask me. Good luck.
smiley-smile.gif

Music515 said:
Thanks Plastic Penguin and Monstrous I am trying the NAD326 and B&W 684s now. I like the boom the NAD adds (it also half the price of the Arcam!), but not happy with the ovrall sound ...so I guess its the B&W 684s that need to go. Can I pair the NAD326 and the Monitor RX6s? Would that work...or would you still recommend that I get the Arcam A18 and the Monitor RX6 NAD326+RX6 = 1300 USD ARCAM A18+RX6 = 2000 USD Thanks

No - leave the Nad alone. The reason is, especially budget offerings, struggle unlee you pair it with price compatible speakers. There's been stories - and I've heard it 352 - Nads tend to lose a little control higher up the speaker scale you go.

Agree with Jaxwired the Kandy K2 is a better all-rounder than the aforementioned amps - but not with Monitor Audio.

If you want an amp around the Kandy price and a great match with MAs, the Creek EVO 2 is hard to beat IMHO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts