5.2 Dolby atmos vs 7.1 any big difference?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i have always been interested in dolby atmos but wondered if it would give me a perceivable benefit at just 5.2.1 over my 7.1 setup

i basically never hear proper use of my surround speakers right now which sucks, i guess i need better positioning and calibration i have tried but failed to make them sound better to no avail. if i did have atmos i would have it all installed and calibrated properly. if i was to get 5.2 atmos my 2 surround speakers would be useless essentially? i thought there was 7.2.1 setup? or is that only for high end receivers? i want a good all round home cinema system, and my surround sound is lacking.

would existing speaker configurations work with DTS:X?

however..i have never really noticed good use of atmos in the cinema so far apart from short videos before the screening demonstrating it which is ironic.

any help or advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

As I understand it correctly, you're asking about the difference between 5.1.2 system with Atmos vs 7.1 system. There are split views about this. Personally I would go for 5.1.2 so you can listen to Atmos and DTS:X, and when funds allow, upgrade to 7.1.2. For 7.1.2, you will need a 9-channel AVR with Atmos like Marantz SR7010 and Pioneer SC-LX59.

Going for 4 overhead speakers give even more benefit, as sound then travels from front to rear overhead speakers giving you the impression of, say, a helicopter flying over your head.

I personally enjoy my 7.1.4 Atmos system very much. I can see significant benefits over my previous non-Atmos system.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I'm going to be sticking with the DTS-HD Master Audio for a long while till things really get good, going to the cinema all I ever hear is LOUDNESS AS OPOSSED TO QUALITY.

Even the picture quality is BETTER in my own home rather than what is dished-up at the cinema..... this includes 3D.

'Dolby Atmos' in your own home over 'DTS-HD Master Audio'..... doubt anyone , if being honest with themselves could ever hear the difference, just my opinion mind.

Alantiggger said:
'Dolby Atmos' in your own home over 'DTS-HD Master Audio'..... doubt anyone , if being honest with themselves could ever hear the difference, just my opinion mind.
Have you ever demoed one? People cannot discern a difference between sounds coming from the sides or from the top??? You need to control your drinking at night mate! :)

raoulx

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you have it in your mind set that it's object based rather than speaker based. So there is a whole sound filed or buble of emerisve sound rather than a sound coming from your FL or Center as examples as its currently setup. It would be more fluid area of sound. The setup will work with other tech but if its an atmos sound track it will default to atmos if you've the speaker setup and amp for it. Go listen to it and see what you think though. It may seem subtle and a slight different experience which only you can tell if you like or not.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
raoulx said:
Make sure you have it in your mind set that it's object based rather than speaker based. So there is a whole sound filed or buble of emerisve sound rather than a sound coming from your FL or Center as examples as its currently setup. It would be more fluid area of sound. The setup will work with other tech but if its an atmos sound track it will default to atmos if you've the speaker setup and amp for it. Go listen to it and see what you think though. It may seem subtle and a slight different experience which only you can tell if you like or not.

don't think my local richer sounds can demo atmos, it's demo room is tiny.. nevermind surround sound! not sure what to do. i dont think i would ever get a 9 channel amp, they are so expensive and i couldn't justify it (regarding bigboss) at £850 anyway. if it was £500 at the end of year discounted model perhaps..

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
Dolby Atmos' in your own home over 'DTS-HD Master Audio'..... doubt anyone , if being honest with themselves could ever hear the difference, just my opinion mind.

wow .... it is painfully obvious that you have never heard a properly setup Atmos system .... with the right source material 7.1.4 Atmos is the most incredible amazing surround experience that i have ever heard

the Dolby Atmos demonstration disc is also the best recording that i have ever experienced altogether

when you have the money you would do yourself a favor to actually go to 7.1.4 Atmos .... i already have a 7.1 setup but im waiting for a an affordable AV reciever that will allow me 7.1.4 and then im going to upgrade .... to people into good audio its totally worth it

EDIT : just forgto to mention that if you set it up correctly then its not subtle at all .... i have heard two different 7.1.4 setups to date and they both are absolutely incredible .... the "rain" demo in the Atmos demo disc sounds as if you are sitting in a bus shelter and the rain is falling all around you (especially from hitting the roof of the shelter but partially the sides as well) .... its that realistic

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have heard a pals now an AV Dealer topish of the domestic range atmos system - he is based in Hertfordshire.

SimplyCinema is the company if you are interested in getting some demos and product info (website to go live soon) - however the speaker layout he has used is slightly different to the atmos recommended and I know why but he could explain this choice better.

Its very clear to me after this recent demo what atmos or auro etc is adding to the presentation. The auro demo disc is a better disc than the atmos one I think, there is a lot of explanation if you watch the main video which goes a long way with me. When you compare these demo discs to standard films they definately excentuate the effects more - they are designed to be used by dealers to sell the products if think about it so they will be mastered in a way to do just that. I dare say in film making the designers are thinking the opposite dont want to draw attention away from the movie to the sounds above your head for example

However I think its important to analyse the system for where it is in terms of its overall performance before just adding a feature like atmos - because it could very easily be more of a feature than a real benefit in overall SQ terms for the ££ invested and also considering the options with it in terms of speaker placement is important. This would very much room dependent

The Auro way makes a lot of sense when you listen to their explanations in terms of speaker layout - hence why its a good idea to not do it half cocked and maybe go see someone like SimplyCinema to get a proper grip on things before making holes in your ceiling etc

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I have heard a pals now an AV Dealer topish of the domestic range atmos system - he is based in Hertfordshire.

SimplyCinema is the company if you are interested in getting some demos and product info (website to go live soon) - however the speaker layout he has used is slightly different to the atmos recommended and I know why but he could explain this choice better.

Its very clear to me after this recent demo what atmos or auro etc is adding to the presentation. The auro demo disc is a better disc than the atmos one I think, there is a lot of explanation if you watch the main video which goes a long way with me. When you compare these demo discs to standard films they definately excentuate the effects more - they are designed to be used by dealers to sell the products if think about it so they will be mastered in a way to do just that. I dare say in film making the designers are thinking the opposite dont want to draw attention away from the movie to the sounds above your head for example

However I think its important to analyse the system for where it is in terms of its overall performance before just adding a feature like atmos - because it could very easily be more of a feature than a real benefit in overall SQ terms for the ££ invested and also considering the options with it in terms of speaker placement is important. This would very much room dependent

The Auro way makes a lot of sense when you listen to their explanations in terms of speaker layout - hence why its a good idea to not do it half cocked and maybe go see someone like SimplyCinema to get a proper grip on things before making holes in your ceiling etc

thanks!

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
The biggest problem with Auro 3D is that till date, not a single blu ray film has been released supporting it, except Pixels. Says a lot considering it's been around for more than a year.

dont think i seen on my pixel case says it supports it..

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That's not so important as the auro speaker layout works just as well with atmos based material.

Their theory is we don't have ears on top of our head so why put speakers there and you can't argue with that.

I think is more prevalent in small domestic rooms rather than huge rooms where ceiling speakers will be a long way from the listener and a distance apart

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
That's not so important as the auro speaker layout works just as well with atmos based material.

Their theory is we don't have ears on top of our head so why put speakers there and you can't argue with that.

I think is more prevalent in small domestic rooms rather than huge rooms where ceiling speakers will be a long way from the listener and a distance apart

You don't have ears on the back of your head, either, but somehow our brains can figure out when sounds are behind us, in front of us, above us or below us.

I've only seen a handful of Aura receivers (mostly Onkyo I think), and no mention of Aura formatted media, so you could end up with the Laserdisc of all formats. Sure, the DTS:X vs. Atmos thing is yet to pan out, but unlike Betamax vs. VHS, most receivers coming out can cope with either / both of these formats.

My understanding is that DTS:X is more of a horizontal spread plus height, whereas Atmos tries to create a hemispherical "half-bubble" of sound. I'd suggest you try both with the helicopter-bits of something like Apocalypse Now and decide for yourself.

Me? I've got four speakers in the ceiling ready for an Atmos receiver (when I get a job again), plus two more the builders put in (I tell the wife it's future proofing but in truth I just can't be ahem'd to fix the holes in the plasterboard ceiling that would be left if I took them out), plus two side in-walls, two back in-walls, two front in-walls plus my "proper stereo" speakers as fronts, plus two centre channel speakers because a wall stud won't let me mount a single centre speaker, erm, in the centre.

ellisdj said:

Auro 3D need a different speaker placement to Atmos and they've themselves said Atmos placement won't work well with Auro content.

With regards to ears on top of your head, that has already been answered. :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
But auro say their speaker placement works with atmos just and it does i have heard it.

Their stance is there is little to no sound that eminates from directly above your head so your brain is not used to hearing sound from there.

However using a height layer of speakers they can be used to add ambience to the sound in a way natural to human hearing.

. If you watch the auro demo disc it explains it and it makes perfect sense and there are loads of overhead helicopter pans on that demo disc.

For what it's worth you don't need overhead speakers to get sound to come from above your head. It all depends on the mastering skill and quality of room system and setup. 5 speakers can do this no problem in the appropriate sized room.

That's not what is really being added to the mix in my opinion certainly not what is the impressive part

Where's your nearest airport?

Go to it and stand at the end of the runway.

Come back and tell me if you don't hear the planes flying overhead.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Exactly you have said it all how often does any human do that - never.

How often does anything fly over your head and you hear the direct sound probably never as sound travels slower than light all you hear is an echo of the original sound.

You don't hear rain falling you only hear it hit whatever it hits

Think about it what is more natural speakers on the ceiling or speakers at height... no brainer really

Ceiling speakers may make sense in a commercial cinema sized room where there are huge gaps between the front and back and sizes of the room and the sides speakers are already very high.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
But auro say their speaker placement works with atmos and it does i have heard it.

Their stance is there is little to no sound that eminates from directly above your head so your brain is not used to hearing sound from there.

However using a height layer of speakers they can be used to add ambience to the sound in a way natural to human hearing.

. If you watch the auro demo disc it explains it and it makes perfect sense and there are loads of overhead helicopter pans on that demo disc.

For what it's worth you don't need overhead speakers to get sound to come from above your head. It all depends on the mastering skill and quality of room system and setup. 5 speakers can do this no problem in the appropriate sized room.

That's not what is really being added to the mix in my opinion certainly not what is the impressive part

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Alantiggger said:
Have you ever demoed one? People cannot discern a difference between sounds coming from the sides or from the top??? You need to control your drinking at night mate! :)

"People cannot discern a difference between sounds coming from the sides or from the top???

well my younger brother has dolby atmost via his Onkyo and their is no difference ?

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Alantiggger said:

"People cannot discern a difference between sounds coming from the sides or from the top???

well my younger brother has dolby atmos via his Onkyo cinema amp and their is no difference worth talking about thus far ?

Not between his Onkyo and my own Yamaha 673 amp.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Where's your nearest airport?

Go to it and stand at the end of the runway.

Come back and tell me if you don't hear the planes flying overhead.

Well, you certainly WON'T be hearing any planes flying overhead, because airport security would have long since arrested any prankster standing at the end of any runway, and you'll be in custody! And be held in custoday for probably a long enough time to make you forget completely about Dolby Atmos.

Alantiggger said:
bigboss said:
Alantiggger said:

"People cannot discern a difference between sounds coming from the sides or from the top????

well my younger brother has dolby atmos via his Onkyo  cinema amp and their is no difference worth talking about thus far ?

Not between his Onkyo and my own Yamaha 673 amp.

?

?

What speakers are they, and what is the speaker layout?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts