5.1.2 buying advice

trooper

Jul 7, 2021
Visit site
I'm looking for some advice on the planned 5.1.2 setup I am trying to assemble.

It's going to be used roughly 50% for movies, 25% gaming, 25% music. It's a relatively small room (3.5 x 5m, screen being on the centre of the 5m wall, with watching/listening distance of 3m from front speakers / screen). So far I've already installed 2x Monitor Audio C265 in ceiling and would like like to explore MA Silver 6G series as I really liked MA Bronze in the past and with the whole company in general (especially how they treat their customers which deserves a story of its own).

So I was thinking
2x Silver 6G 100 for fronts
2x Silver 6G 50 for rear
Silver 6G C150 centre
Denon AVC-X3700H (again, was really happy with Denon in the past, and would like to stay with them)

Ideally I'd take C350 for the centre, but the cabinet where I plan to put it has 21cm clearing which does not cut it :/

Still didn't decide which subwoofer to go for. Was thinking perhaps SVS SB1000. Any suggestions?

Does all of this makes sense in general? Trying to stay within this budget, would you do things differently? I have zero experience building surround setups so badly in need of advice.

Thank you!

You're spot on with your plan. The silver series are a tonal match to your C265. I've always had Monitor Audio speakers. In my previous house, I had Radius HD and now I have a 7.1.4 setup consisting of W280-IDC fronts and centre, W265 for side and rear surrounds and C265 for ceiling speakers powered by Denon AVR-X6300H.

Look at C150 if 350 doesn't suit your needs.

With regards to subwoofer, you really cannot go wrong with SB1000. How big is your room?

trooper

Jul 7, 2021
Visit site
I might be able to expand the budget a bit to get SB2000 (hoping my wife is not reading this)

On a different forum, someone raised the concern of Silver 100s being too "boxed in" in these shelves (they are 41cm in height and 35cm in depth, leaving 3-4 cm top clearance and 1-2cm back clearance). The 100s would be (the left one) roughly where the Lego box is in the photo below.

I was hoping that sice there's plenty of side space it should be fine, but they mention I might get "booming", which I'm not even sure what it means :)

262570709_1968049066707575_2260460054339834181_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 196519

You'll only know by trial. Similar concerns were raised about my Radius HD speakers being "boxed in" in my previous house but is sounded brilliant. Bring the speakers as front as possible.
View attachment 3003
Looking back now I don’t know why I didn’t buy a Pioneer TV brand new from the 9th gen! I think it was because I thought it would be too heavy on my stand but then I went and bought a Panasonic plasma that was just as heavy. I only just bought my home cinema system too and didn’t have much money left over. I then crazed for one for like 5 years!

Reactions: bigboss

Tinman1952

I might be able to expand the budget a bit to get SB2000 (hoping my wife is not reading this)

On a different forum, someone raised the concern of Silver 100s being too "boxed in" in these shelves (they are 41cm in height and 35cm in depth, leaving 3-4 cm top clearance and 1-2cm back clearance). The 100s would be (the left one) roughly where the Lego box is in the photo below.

I was hoping that sice there's plenty of side space it should be fine, but they mention I might get "booming", which I'm not even sure what it means :)

View attachment 3002
The bass 'booming' (loud and muffled') occurs when the speaker is too close to a wall or corner...but in your home cinema situation the AV receiver would crossover to the speakers at around 80Hz and above (choose 'small' in set up) and the low frequencies for the front left and right channel would instead go to your subwoofer. This should ameliorate any bass boom.....🤞

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts