4K Ultra HD TV Panel Shipments Reach 1 Million

The growth of 4K TVs is very impressive, especially considering the lack of 4K content. It may just encourage the likes of Sky etc. to launch 4K delivery services.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-million-201405163779.htm

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
It was interesting that the article said that the cheaper end of 4K tvs were not true 4K as they had lesser pixels, it sounds to me like the consumer is getting ripped off if they choose to buy a cheaper 4K tv.

simonlewis said:
It was interesting that the article said that the cheaper end of 4K tvs were not true 4K as they had lesser pixels, it sounds to me like the consumer is getting ripped off if they choose to buy a cheaper 4K tv.

Yes, I found that comment interesting! I'm presuming those TVs are in China only.

It's probably a "4K ready" TV, just like 720p "HD ready".

It can easily come here, with 1080p TVs. :)

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
not only that, surely you would need something silly like a 100" screen to notice the difference. Its already being debated where the 4K to 1080p isn't as good a difference which I think is around the 46" to 50" mark.

Paul.

bigboss said:
simonlewis said:

Yes, I found that comment interesting! I'm presuming those TVs are in China only.

It's probably a "4K ready" TV, just like 720p "HD ready".

It can easily come here, with 1080p TVs. :)

By the "green" comment, it sounds like its a pentile display like the old Galaxy S2. Instead of each pixel having a red, green and blue, it will alternate between green red and green blue pairs. It's technically 4k as it has the correct number of pixels, but it's lacking 33% of sub pixels.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
MrReaper182 said:
I think 4K is a waste of money as 8K is just around the corner and it is what everyone will upgrade too.

I don't think so. Japan is targeting 2032 as the time of 8K going mainstream. Other countries will follow later. That's a heck of a long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8K_(resolution)

They are filming this years football World cup with 8k cameras.

MrReaper182 said:
bigboss said:
MrReaper182 said:
I think 4K is a waste of money as 8K is just around the corner and it is what everyone will upgrade too.

I don't think so. Japan is targeting 2032 as the time of 8K going mainstream. Other countries will follow later. That's a heck of a long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8K_(resolution)

They are filming the world cup this year with 8k cameras.

Only a few matches with limited cameras. There's only one 8K film made so far (Japanese).

Of course they will start experimenting from now. Such things take many years to develop. NHK wants to experiment with what's needed to bring 8K resolution to mainstream market.

As pointed out, you need at least an 85-inch TV (if not more) to reap the benefits of 8K. TVs in their current form will not sell in large numbers at that size.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts