4K Blu-ray players

Bonajones38

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Just read the review of the new Pioneer Blue-ray player. The retailers listed as selling it stated it was 4K.

I thought 4K Blu-ray players were not expected until later this year or even next Spring. Is it really 4K???

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
No it is not 4K although it might be 4K upscaling, you are right about 4K being released later in the year or next spring though.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Depending of course on how good the tv is at upscaling. Personally i use my amp to upscale as it is better at it than the TV, or my Blu-ray player, but than they are both cheap tat.

Bonajones38

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Now I'm getting confused. If upscaling to 4K is no better than dedicated 4K, why bother with a 4K blu-ray players when they come out? Or would playing 4K discs require a 4K player? Whats the diffference?.

f1only said:
Depending of course on how good the tv is at upscaling. Personally i use my amp to upscale as it is better at it than the TV, or my Blu-ray player, but than they are both cheap tat.
Based on my demo of 4K TVs so far, they're brilliant upscalers. I can't see blu ray players bettering that.

In my experience with Yamaha AV receiver, it's quite poor at upscaling. I didn't even bother checking on my Marantz.

Bonajones38 said:
Now I'm getting confused. If upscaling to 4K is no better than dedicated 4K, why bother with a 4K blu-ray players when they come out? Or would playing 4K discs require a 4K player? Whats the diffference?.
Upscaling simply means that the player is using an algorithm to multiply the pixels of a 1080p picture 4 times to fill all the pixels of a 4K TV. Obviously this is a processed image. Although excellent, it cannot equal a true 4K picture.

4K discs will need a dedicated 4K player which doesn't exist yet.

abacus

Bonajones38 said:

Upscaling a HD picture to 4K means converting the HD picture into a format that will fill a 4K screen, as there is not enough detail in a HD picture to fill it, however while good, it will not give you full 4K quality, as most of the added pixel details are mathematical guess work. (Only a 4K picture can give you a full 4K picture)

The same applies when you upscale a DVD to HD. (Which Blu-Ray players also do)

Hope this helps

Bill

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
f1only said:
Depending of course on how good the tv is at upscaling. Personally i use my amp to upscale as it is better at it than the TV, or my Blu-ray player, but than they are both cheap tat.
Based on my demo of 4K TVs so far, they're brilliant upscalers. I can't see blu ray players bettering that.

In my experience with Yamaha AV receiver, it's quite poor at upscaling. I didn't even bother checking on my Marantz.

Luckily BB i no longer have a Yamaha amp hooked up.. This New Pioneeer is 100% better than the Yamaha i did have, & over double the cost, mind you the Yamaha was good compared to my previous A/V amp :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Bonajones38 said:
Ooh! Lets hope Onkyo will be just as good or better, price for price.
All Blu-Ray players are the same.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts