admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just a quick one from a new forum user,

Does anyone have one of these, or has anyone seen one of these in action?

I'm looking at buying a 46X4500 to complete my home cinema setup, but i see the likes of the 46Z4500 and see a nearly identical set with 200Hz motion flow tech etc. Just wondering what people think of this x4500 in general and if its worth the premium.

Thanks

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Well worth it in my eyes. PQ is miles ahead of the Z series. The 200hz on the Z and its improved contrast makes it better than the W. The RGB local dimming backlight on the X wipes the floor with everything else except the Pioneer plasms IMO.

Nick

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I too would go for the Pioneer as I prefer the image a plasma presents but that said it is no easy battle between the two. The Pioneer is not leagues ahead by any means. We have them side by side in store and on all material including SD they are neck and neck.

I am surprised that the Sony is that good and I can see why by default Pioneer would be the choice as they have made the best screens for years but the new X really is very good.

Nick

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
By all means get sony, just remember to be happy with your tv if you see clouding/backlight bleed. I'd go for the Pioneer hands down, but each to their own.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your input, I have to admit I havent done that much research into the pioneers, maybe worth a look.

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

Rorschach:By all means get sony, just remember to be happy with your tv if you see clouding/backlight bleed. I'd go for the Pioneer hands down, but each to their own.

The high end X4500 has RGB dynamic backlight technology which virtually eliminates Clouding/blacklight bleed and makes it a non-issue. unlike the W4500. I got to demo one this week, I was absolutely amazed by the black level and contrast. The Blu Ray DVD used was Hellboy 2 and compared to my Samsung LE40A656 there was an astounding difference, Blacks were pitch black and it can handle tricky panning scenes and fast motion scenes with no sign of judder at all. I actually preffered the colour and clarity over the Pioner 5090 although the Pioneer did have the edge in standard def and black levels, very close though.

I know about how good Pioneer are, but there is a world outside Pioneer and not everyone likes Plasma.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
The black level is for sure very impressive on screens with LED backlight, as you can simply turn out the light. But at the screens I have seen you instead create another problem, which is sometimes referred to as the 'halo' effect. The reason is simply. At this point you cannot control the LED down to each singly pixel, like you can for a plasma cell.

How do the 46X4500 perform on this front?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Rorschach:By all means get sony, just remember to be happy with your tv if you see clouding/backlight bleed. I'd go for the Pioneer hands down, but each to their own.

Have you experienced clouding or blacklight bleed on this set? Given the technology, I'd consider such problems to be very unlikely.

A

Anonymous

Question.... How and why do led backlit sets avoid backlight bleed? as they are still backlit and theres still a diffuser panel so in theory the still a possibilty of bleed????????? Or am i completly wrong???????

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Instead of what are effectively full-width fluorescent tubes in conventional LCD backlights, direct driven LED backlighting uses lots of individual LEDs corresponding to clumps of pixels in the display panel, and these switch on and off, and dim, according to the picture being shown in that area.

So if, for the sake of argument, you get a dark area of picture at the edges or corners of the screen, which is where bleed is going to occur, the backlight elements in that area are going to be off, so no bleed.

This video explains it better than I struggled to above.

A

Anonymous

I couldn't see no Clouding/backlight bleed issues at all with X4500 obviously due to the technology, the X4500 was shown in a very low light room, I asked the salesman to put it in 30 Days of night after a few scenes from Hellboy 2. The X4500 was able to accentuate shadow detail very well due to the RGB Dynamic Backlight feature. Pitch black scenes were actually Pitch black without any sign of clouding and it certainly didn't produce a so called 'Halo Effect'.

Quick note : Also seen the new Philips42PFL9803 which also features LED backlight Technology, Contrast and Black Levels were brilliant.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Davey1984:

The high end X4500 has RGB dynamic backlight technology which virtually eliminates Clouding/blacklight bleed and makes it a non-issue. unlike the W4500. I got to demo one this week, I was absolutely amazed by the black level and contrast. The Blu Ray DVD used was Hellboy 2 and compared to my Samsung LE40A656 there was an astounding difference, Blacks were pitch black and it can handle tricky panning scenes and fast motion scenes with no sign of judder at all. I actually preffered the colour and clarity over the Pioner 5090 although the Pioneer did have the edge in standard def and black levels, very close though.

I know about how good Pioneer are, but there is a world outside Pioneer and not everyone likes Plasma.

In saying that I personally would opt for the Pioneer 5090 over the Sony 46X4500 I was not infering to the Sony not being a very good LCD and personally I would expect it to knock the socks off of your Samsung LE40A656 especially seeing as you could buy 3 of the Samsung's for the same price as the Sony. In turn the Sony is also consideribly more expensive than the Pioneer and 4" smaller to boot.

I personally have seen both in operation and honestly I sit firmly in the Plasma camp as for my eyes it offers a far more natural colour and lifelife image as where I personally find LCD gives a more processed less life like rendition of what your eyes are naturally acustomed to viewing.

A

Anonymous

I understand how they work! But the led resolution doesnt get close the panel resolution so it still leaves an element although much reduced chance of small areas of bleed??

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=623143&page=2

Took a few seconds to find! Not putting to much faith into forum comment until ive read more

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
garethwd:I understand how they work! But the led
resolution doesnt get close the panel resolution so it still leaves an
element although much reduced chance of small areas of bleed??
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=623143&page=2
Took a few seconds to find! Not putting to much faith into forum
comment until ive read more

You're welcome!
emotion-1.gif

But that display looks like edge lighting, rather than LED matrix lighting. After all, Apple seems to make no claims for it other than how fast it lights up when you connect your computer to it.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Surely any LCD even if using zonal LED backlighting is still suspect to various backlight issues solely down to the way a LCD panel works? so say a black background with a white image in the middle must still suffer some degree of backlight bleed compared to a Plasma unless each indivual pixel has its own corrisponding LED to light it?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, in theory, but not to the extent of a conventional row of fluorescent strips permanently lighting the whole of back of the LCD panel, thanks to local dimming in response to the picture.

I think this probably explains the halo effect someone was mentioning before, not that I've seen it on the LED backlit sets I've now seen from several manufacturers.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Have you experienced clouding or blacklight bleed on this set? Given the technology, I'd consider such problems to be very unlikely.

No, but i've read about them.

A

Anonymous

Right, I have actually bougt the set and its very impressive and I can see no halo effect as previously discussed. I do have some problems though...and I think its down to picture settings (which I have no clue about). It seems to get some judder and in some cases even a little ghosting. This seems to be reduced with blu ray but its still there. On sky HD it can be a little annoying.

So I'm a bit lost in all the settings...but I will fiddle with them a bit more see if I can work something out!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts