4000€, for a tiny room..

Laurent MEYER

Jul 27, 2024
Visit site
Hello guys,

My specs:
- Budget : 4000€ : Speakers + Amp/DAC
- The office is tiny room with a slopping ceiling and an open wall.
- The speakers will have to be close to the wall (20cms ??)
- I really enjoy heavy basses (but a sub is not an option)
- My music style is, well, everything groovy and slappy.
- Still the speaker should be drivable by an Audiolabs 8000A (Temporarily)

What are you thoughts ?
Thank you,,
Laurent.

jjbomber

If you are in France, then Triangle should be your first one to audition. The Espirit 40th bookshelf speakers with suitable stands will be about half your budget. They are front ported, so can go against the wall without sounding any bass issues. They are 90db sensitivity, so will be easy for the temporary Audiolab amplifier to drive.

"Heavy bass" will generally require large speakers with large bass drivers, so this will depend on your classification of "heavy bass", and whether you're talking about quantity, depth, or both. Depth may be lacking in a very small room anyway.

So you need a large pair of speakers that work well close to a wall, in order to not take up too much space. That's an extremely tricky ask.

Active speakers will help a smaller speaker dig lower, and if they're network connected with their own app you'll be able to boost bass, but this will come at the expense of headroom. A standard "powered" type active speaker (a pair of speakers with onboard power amplification only) won't have this sort of limitation, but may or may not have the ability to boost bass.

Revolutions

The audiolab will push 2ohm speakers so I wouldn’t worry about that.

As for what to go for… if you split the budget 50/50 there are many, many options for both parts that might work. Floorstanders wil bring the bass, but how small is the room? (I think the triangles are fs?).

For the amp/dac do you want a streamer as well? Or any other features?

Laurent MEYER

Jul 27, 2024
Visit site
I intend to uses PCs to stream, using DAC. So a streamer is not really required, but if it comes with it...
Yes, I am French, and Cabasse small integrated system is impressive, I am looking to something a bit 'bigger'. and way less integrated. Amp/DAC(Streamer), loudspeaker (no sub, as the room is tiny).
I am talking of 4x4m (4x2m usable), mezzanine under a slopping ceiling.
But first thing first, I am trying to find the speakers that can match the room, and give me a nice amount of bass
Kef R3, LS50, Buchardt S400,, QAcoustic 5020/5040... I am having a review headache... and still cant find a match for my room, with a budget of 2000€ish the pair.
Help :) !
Thank you guys.

Jasonovich

Hello guys,

My specs:

What are you thoughts ?
Thank you,,
Laurent.
Bonjour Laurent, if you are in France you should audition the Focal Aria 926 Speakers and Atoll IN300 DAC Integrated Amplifier. This should meet your 4£K budget.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi Laurent,

my tip for your special room:

Amp: Rega Elex mk4 ( the best amp in 1000-1500 eur category), costs 1400 eur. Elex has open dynamic, engaging sound, very musical. This will be a lot better than your Audiolab. This amp has very good dac inside, than very good mm phono preamp and finaly also very good headphones preamp is also included. This amp is better than Cambridge Audio CXA 81mk2.

Speakers: Rega Aya, very, very good speakers for small-mid rooms. They are designed to complement amp Elex or Elicit from Rega. Aya costs around 1800 Eur.

Streamer: Bluesound Node 3 or X version. Truly a masterpiece with very good sound and intuitive app. Very good combination with Rega amps Elex mk4 or Elicit mk5, when Bluesound is connected into dac in Elex or Elicit. Sound is better than analogue audio output from Bluesound.
Price: 600eur for version 3 or 800eur for version X. And it is worth to invest 200 eur into X version. BR.

Reactions: Jasonovich

daytona600

Atoll SDA200 Signature Integrated + Elipson LEGACY 3210

rainsoothe

Naim Atom (used) + used B&W PM1 if you can find a pair, if not, Neat Petite Classic, or Quad S2.

If you don't mind the clutter of separates, the Atoll IN300 is a great recommendation. Rega Elex and Naim XS3 are also well worth looking into. But in a small room, I'd defo look at compact stuff. And the Atom is a looker too.

Jasonovich

Atoll SDA200 Signature Integrated + Elipson LEGACY 3210

Nice :)

1722847530844.png

Fandango Andy

Hello guys,

My specs:

What are you thoughts ?
Thank you,,
Laurent.
Unless the is something wrong with the Audiolab, or if its borrowed, I wouldn't bother changing the amp. Just get an external DAC.

As for speakers, the Triangle already recommended are great. Also take a look at Harbeth P3ESR. Not much bass on paper, but it handles it so well you won't mind. Also a great match for the Audiolab.

Laurent MEYER

Jul 27, 2024
Visit site
You never mentioned that as a requirement nor mentioned a turntable, perhaps that's why....
You are right, and I apologize for that. What should be connected is:
Technics SL-1210GR2 (Direct to phono stage or via my Cambridge ALVA duo RCA)
Motu M4 : RCA
FiiO M17: RCA or Coax

In fact I don't really need a streamer, I have tones of DAV/ADC already.
I will go with the Rega Elex/Elicit MK5

https://www.son-video.com/article/v...latines-vinyle-hi-fi/technics/sl-1210gr2-noir

Laurent MEYER

Jul 27, 2024
Visit site
Hi Laurent,

my tip for your special room:

Amp: Rega Elex mk4 ( the best amp in 1000-1500 eur category), costs 1400 eur. Elex has open dynamic, engaging sound, very musical. This will be a lot better than your Audiolab. This amp has very good dac inside, than very good mm phono preamp and finaly also very good headphones preamp is also included. This amp is better than Cambridge Audio CXA 81mk2.

Speakers: Rega Aya, very, very good speakers for small-mid rooms. They are designed to complement amp Elex or Elicit from Rega. Aya costs around 1800 Eur.

Streamer: Bluesound Node 3 or X version. Truly a masterpiece with very good sound and intuitive app. Very good combination with Rega amps Elex mk4 or Elicit mk5, when Bluesound is connected into dac in Elex or Elicit. Sound is better than analogue audio output from Bluesound.
Price: 600eur for version 3 or 800eur for version X. And it is worth to invest 200 eur into X version. BR.
Thank you,
I will go with the Rega Elex/Elicit MK5
But I still don't know about the speakers. You know already the dilemma: tiny room but I still want some good bass...

Jasonovich

nice but no phono stage (MM)...
Ah not so nice :)
It's kind of weird Atoll don't do MM/MC, that would be additional costs for separate MM/MC preamp. Not unless you have a turntable with built in MM/MC preamp, which means you can use Atoll's line input.

Anyway, I can see you made your choice, good luck with the the Rega Elex/Elicit MK5 :)
1722868984191.png
If you're still undecided about the speakers, the Elac Vela BS 403 with AMT tweeters, small bookshelf form factor, not too big for your office might be worth considering.

1722870738282.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Revolutions
Ah not so nice :)
It's kind of weird Atoll don't do MM/MC, that would be additional costs for separate MM/MC preamp. Not unless you have a turntable with built in MM/MC preamp, which means you can use Atoll's line input.

Anyway, I can see you made your choice, good luck with the the Rega Elex/Elicit MK5 :)
View attachment 7184
If you're still undecided about the speakers, the Elac Vela BS 403 with AMT tweeters, small bookshelf form factor, not too big for your office might be worth considering.

View attachment 7185

He already has an external phono stage it would appear.....

Revolutions

He already has an external phono stage it would appear.....
The plot thickens 😁

@Laurent MEYER - Rega Elicit mk5 is an excellent amp, probably a lot more than you need for the small room to though, you’ll probably be more than fine with the Elex & save some cash. I ran Elac vela speakers with my elicit & it’s a v good sound, so the model Jason recommended above would be worth checking out imo.

tsaoandy

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Don’t know what you listen to mostly also hifi gear price is probably different your part of the world. I’m guessing you’re into punchy good bass sound. I suggest JBL L82 or JBL 4309 matched with one box integrated I.e Naim atom, NAD streaming amp(used). Focal and B&W have good bass also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts