3D related question (yes another one)

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gang

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but I'm starting to get confused over the whole 3DTV shenanigans.

Here's what I think is right (feel free to correct me):

* 3D Blurays will mainly use "active shutter" technology. In order to watch these I will need a compatible 3DTV and player (I have a PS3 which I'm told will become 3D ready soonish). The glasses are more expensive than the other version.

*Sky 3D will work using the "passive 3D" system (using the glasses like the ones you get at the cinema).

If the above is correct, does this mean that some 3DTVs will be passive, and some active-shutter? Or will a 3DTV be able to manage both of these systems?

I have a Sony 46w2000 tv which is now over 3 years old, so I'd be interested in getting a new TV (preferably Sony if poss) so is there a quick and easy way to see if the TV can handle all the 3D systems? And do 3D compatible amps work on the same basis?

Cheers.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's not a matter of 3D Blu-rays using one technology and Sky another: all 3D content will be viewable on either kind of TV. The same goes for amps.

A

Anonymous

I wonder if panasonic will do a cheap bundle price including a 3d DVD when they launch the VT20. There are a few bundle deals already with the G20 and a blu ray for £50.

That may tempt me in to the £2200 price, if they do the blu ray at say £100. I think theres buying resistance around £2000 on a TV and they need something to push people over the edge - lets be realistic, if you buy the VT20 you will have to get a 3D blu ray. I wouldnt like to have to justify £2500 to my wife

A

Anonymous

johnb1966:

I wonder if panasonic will do a cheap bundle price including a 3d DVD when they launch the VT20. There are a few bundle deals already with the G20 and a blu ray for £50.

That may tempt me in to the £2200 price, if they do the blu ray at say £100. I think theres buying resistance around £2000 on a TV and they need something to push people over the edge - lets be realistic, if you buy the VT20 you will have to get a 3D blu ray. I wouldnt like to have to justify £2500 to my wife

The current deals with Panasonic on their G20 and Blu Ray bundles are working very well but as for the new VT20 and the dedicated 3D Blu Ray player being packaged in a similar deal is one thing i can't see happening, specially for £100! The Panasonic 3D player is suppose to be released for around £499.99, it might be cheaper on release or they may do a bundle price but if that does happen, i think you may just see a reduction of £100.00 off the player price or a bit more at the maximum. There will be quite a few customers who will not be buying the 3D blu ray player as they will depend on their Sky+ HD box and the 3D channel to get their enjoyment.

What you have to add up is that the competition out there such as Samsung with their 3D tv for example will cost you more than the Panasonic as they sell their active shutter glasses seperately and not supplied with the set, someone told me that their 46" with 2 pairs of glasses will set you back £2100.00, thats a £100.00 more than the Panasonic and a smaller size compared to Panasonic's 50" at £1999.99 including 2 pairs of glasses.

Lets hope and see what happens as i probably will upgrade my tv to the new VT20 too.

M

A

Anonymous

someone told you that their 40in 3d tv plus glasses will be £2100
emotion-15.gif

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
am I wrong or all 3D movies that came to the cinema were all cartoons? Avatar is a cartoon movie..(don't know the right term..animated movies?)

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:someone told you that their 40in 3d tv plus glasses will be £2100
emotion-15.gif

Yep that would be the one and only maxflinn im referring too ;)

M

A

Anonymous

ear:am I wrong or all 3D movies that came to the cinema were all cartoons? Avatar is a cartoon movie..(don't know the right term..animated movies?)

Not really, there was films such as My Bloody Valentine which was a live horror movie and that was in 3D for example.

But YES for most of the latest movies at the picture's seem to be animated, as for Avatar, it is still a live action film but using CGI backdrops, the action sequences and those Avatar's too, other than that it has some element of live action, lol.

M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts