3D Ready receiver to do my speakers justice

F

FunkyMonkey

I have Tannoy DC2 mains, DCC centre, DC1 rears (and a Velodyne VX10 sub).

I have an Onkyo 805 receiver which is over 3 years old. I am happy with the Onkyo's sound processing, but I have been told that its power amplification could be holding my speakers back. I would agree with this given that with stereo music at low volumes, the detail and balance is not there like it is at higher volumes and like it is when you use even a half-decent stereo amp.

So in short, please can you tell me which 3D ready reciever will give me fantastic 2 channel performance (as an indicator that the amplification is of stereohpile performance).

Just want to say that the multichannel expereince, and even stereo performance of my Onkyo is great, but if I am goign to replace it, I may as well try and improve on it.

Also, not bothered about the "british" sound or musical sound. I like clinical (but not shrill). I want to make the most of the Tannoy's Dual Concentric design to give me super-accurate sound imaging.

Many thanks.

A

Anonymous

I have no experience in this so you can disregard my post completely
emotion-1.gif

......but, I will use my receiver as a source for 2 channel and after a lot of reading, I have ordered the Denon AVR4311. The dealer gave me the anniversary edition for the same price, as I got my new speakers there.

170 watts @ 8ohm and when using only 2 channel, the other amps shut down. It also has preouts to connect an amp for the fronts if you feel it's needed.

I will never use the 9 channels on this unit but it has a lot of other features that I do intend to use. I can't wait until my unit gets here, it will probably be another couple of months, but the standard 4311 should be hitting stores about now or very shortly?

Dunno if this option fits your budget?

F

FunkyMonkey

I accidentally put this in Hifi Forum. Duplicate post in Home Cinema. Mods please delete the HIFI section post.

Thanks for reply. I will consider a Denon or marantz from £500 to £1k because I have had stereo amps by both and have been happy. Can't help thinkign though that with Denon, you pay a bit more for the name and build quality.

TRENDING THREADS