3D Ready or 1080P 3D

scene

Are we about to get the same confusion with 3D TVs as we got with HD TVs?

Remember when HD came out, that HD Ready did not mean the TV could display full-fat 1080P HD, but only 720P. An "HD Ready 1080P" logo was added (eventually).

Now most manufacturers are producing 3D TVs with shuttered LCD (active) glasses that support full 1080P resolution. But then you've got the panels being produced for use with polarised (passive) glasses; like the ones by LG, for example, currently being used in Pubs for Sky's 3D broadcasts. These can only support [Edit] 720P resolution 3D half-frame 1080i resolution 3D (about 90% of the pixel content of 720P) [/Edit] - which is fine for broadcast television, as this is all the broadcasters can support.

Are these passive glasses-based system going to be sold to the general public, or are they going to be restricted to commercial venues for broadcast sport, etc.

If the former are we going to have to see: "3D Ready" or "3D Ready 1080P" logos appearing on TVs and the sort of confusion we saw during the early releases of HD TVs?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
EDIT: Clarification now obtained. The TV will process the incoming signal to suit the display/glasses method it uses.

But whether or not polarised TVs will be accepted in the home, or whether we'll end up with all active shutter technology, remains to be seen.

scene

Andrew Everard:EDIT: Clarification now obtained. The TV will
process the incoming signal to suit the display/glasses method it uses.

OK - ignoring the slight "trouser-leg of time" that the thread just entered - a screen designed to work with passive (polarising) glasses will be "3D Ready" or 720P only. Will it be able to display Blu-Rays at this format? Because other reports seem to imply they can't...

EDIT:

Andrew Everard: But whether or not polarised TVs will be accepted in the home, or
whether we'll end up with all active shutter technology, remains to be
seen.

Which is one thing, but my question was really about whether manufacturers will be offering us this choice, which would potentially lead to the 3D Ready / Full 3D confusion?

A

Anonymous

Good question scene. There will be more confusuion as they are going to call some sets 3D Ready which means no 3D Glasses will be supplied and also a Transmitter will be needed to make it work with 3D broadcasts and 3D Blu Ray movies, where on the other hand there will be Full HD 1080p 3D meaning the tv is fully working with 3D straight out the box aslong as you buy a 3D Blu Ray player or Sky+ HD 3D (whenever they start broadcasting). Confusion is stil there in regards to your question about 720p for polarised glasses and full 1080p on active shutter glasses, i think they will just call it Full HD 1080p 3D regardless of what method the manufacturer uses for 3D interpretation.

M

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Rather as the discussion we had yesterday, the matter is hypothetical: all the TV manufacturers are committed to active shutter TVs for domestic sales; the polarised models are intended purely for commercial applications, such as those being planned by Sky in pubs, etc...
So to answer the initial question you posed at the start of this thread, no.

A

Anonymous

This 3d lark is getting worse. If there is so much confusion and lack of real facts on a site like this. What chance has the average person on the street got?

A

Anonymous

NSYGrinner:This 3d lark is getting worse. If there is so much confusion and lack of real facts on a site like this. What chance has the average person on the street got?

Very true!

I have a customer who has put his name down to get one of the new Panasonic 50" 3D tv's but he is very confused and call's me once a week so far as he keeps reading somewhere of various stories about 3D that is confusing him allot. If that is one customer, think about the rest of the people who are curious about purchasing one.

M

A

Anonymous

just one thing to note , anyone that subscribes to skys 3d service , will get 3d , but not in hd , as sky use the passive system , two images on the screen at the same time , each image being half the resolution of full hd ...

A

Anonymous

which is what resolution ?? seeing as sky broadcast at 720p ... 500p ??

scene

daveh75:maxflinn: each image being half the resolution of full hd ... Half the vertical resolution!

Oops, sorry
emotion-10.gif
- I'm not helping things by saying that passive / polarised 3D is "720P" resolution. It's really, as you say 1080i / 720P like ALL its transmissions, but half-frame width resolution. Now I'm starting to confuse myself
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Half of full hd is 720p (roughly), which is the signal sky sends out anyway. Which is still hd.

BUT!!!

If sky can only still send a 720p signal not 1080p to the 3d channel, then that will be two pictures half of 720p, so then THAT shoudnt be hd?? I think sky has made things complicated not using the ACTIVE technology.
emotion-42.gif

scene

Nick_Shepherd:Is 3D in the cinema passive?

I believe, strictly speaking, the answer is: both - though more are going for passive as it is rolled out because of the cheapness and convenience of the passive polarised specs. The IMAX at Waterloo did have active, but not sure that is true for all IMAXes

scene

daveh75:maxflinn:which is what resolution ?? seeing as sky broadcast at 720p ... 500p ??
Sky broadcast @ 1080i.With their 3D broadcasts each image will be 1920 x 540.

Errm, I thought it was the other way round - Sky use a "side-by-side" format for its 3D transmission at 1080i - doesn't that make it 960 x 1080 ?

zientific

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Just goes to show that this 3D is going to take some getting used to. The normal punter on the street still can't get their head around HD so what chance with adding this into the pot?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts