3D Blu-ray as a good CD (and saCD) player + mkv playback...is it possible?

jimmy.cross

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I know I am not the first person asking this question, although the previous posts didn't really solve my question. I am planning an update of our old 26inch TV+DVD set. We have already narrowed down the TV to the LG {47,55}LM670T but I am a bit lost with the blu-ray player.

I am used to listen to music with my stereo system (Naim Nait XS2 + B&W CM7) and I would like to get a Blu-ray player with a VERY GOOD cd playback performance (i.e. a good dac built in). I am starting to enjoy some SACD versions of my albums, so it would be good to have that posibility.

The Denon 2012 seems like a good candidate but I have read that the GUI is kind of a joke and it won't stream/play any flac file :-(

Then I thought about the Panasonic DMP-BDT500, but it won't play SACD, although it seems to be rather good with normal CDs.

As I have an external DAC, another posibility would be to buy any of the cheaper Sony models, and let the external DAC process the sound. In this case, would it be possible to output the high-res audio of the SACD via optical/coaxial digital out?

I would like to listen to your opinions, maybe someone else already went through the same process! Right now I kind of feel like this some other threads have a dead-end! Ideally a pricetag < 600 pounds!

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

manicm

Do Blu-ray players make good CD players? Yes, the Oppo 93, CA751BD, Marantz UD7006 and Denon 2012 all do it very well. Do any make good SACD players? In my humble opinion no because they skimp on proper bona-fide DSD decoders, so none will be good than a dedicated SACD player. Do any make decent streamers? Mixed at best because of limited format compatibility and interfaces.

Think about your priorities. If SACD is a priority over movies then get a good SACD player - perhaps even a secondhand one. If movies are a priority then a good Blu-ray will suffice.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I recently changed my Marantz BD5004 for a Denon 2012, because I wanted 3d. I didn't think blu ray playback was improved but I was quite surprised at how much better it was with CDs.

TRENDING THREADS