3D auto-detection help

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Tried my first 3D blu ray (Dredd) and my tv wouldn't auto-detect the 3D signal. Setup is Sony BDP-S490 to Yamaha RX-A1010 to Panasonic 50GT50. 1.3 HDMI cables. I plugged directly into tv and it worked then plugged through amp and it worked. Turned everything off and tried again and it didn't work. But then an hour later it worked. Now it doesn't work! Is this a common problem - not a good start to my 3D experience.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I've no idea why that would be the case, but you're not using HDMI cables specified for 3D use. Your cables therefore seem the most likely cause of problems with 3D playback.

I can't state definitively that switching to "3D-ready" cables will fix the issue, but lower specification HDMI leads seem a likely culprit, based on your description.

Beyond that, it could be a settings issue. Have you checked all your hardware to ensure that 3D modes are engaged? Sometimes you can inadvertently disengage a feature.

D

Deleted member 2457

mattjax05 said:
After some research I am led to believe any 'high speed' hdmi cable is capable of transmitting a 3D signal.

I think that is correct.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, you identified your HDMI cables as v1.3. While the 1.3 nomenclature is technically no longer used, a v1.3 cable isn't officially "3D ready." It doesn't automatically follow that all v1.3 HDMI leads won't pass 3D data.

Did you check settings on all your hardware to confirm that you haven't inadvertently switched off 3D functionality somewhere in the AV chain?

What cables are you using, specifically?

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I quoted 1.3 as, at the time of purchase of the cables, 1.3 was used as a selling point. They're a QED perfoance and Chord Silver Plus. 1.3 = high speed which is what I understood when I bought these cables years ago. I didn't realise these version numbers are no longer used in marketing until today when I researched HDMI cables on the web and again I didn't realise you only need high speed cables for 3d/ARC/4k etc. Glad I researched.

The 3d link has worked on the last two attempts so going to persist with the current cables.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
These cables will work 100% for 3D.

Have you checked that all of your software is up to date on BD, Amp & TV?

I have found that some disks don’t flag the 3D in Auto on the Panasonic sets (The James Cameron "Ghosts of the Abyss" was one), can you check the 3D setting options or force it into 3D with the button on the remote?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts