30 Years ago

jarra

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
What HIFI mags would we have been reading 30 years ago. Are they still in print today or have they all been swallowed up and taken over.

I was influenced by one mag and ended up with a Rega Planer 2 T/T , Heybrook speakers and the Arcam A60 Int amp.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well we celebrate our 35th anniversary this year.
emotion-19.gif

But there are older publications still

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
25 - 30 years ago or so I would have been reading HiFi News & Record Review. (As an impressionable late teen - early 'twenty-something' I enjoyed a long read and lots of tests/graphs/company histories etc.)

The others (even though I bought plenty of them in the early-mid 1980s) sort of 'blend' into one big amorphous Linn/Naim 'fanzine'. (One mag even had the same 'system upgrade diagram' in every issue, for years, which was, basically, a Linn/Naim upgrade path.)

That is a very unreliable memory, and highly unfair on the many talented writers I have just lumped in together (!) but that's how I remember it. Sorry.
I stopped reading hifi mags regularly around 1987 (they got very silly) and stopped reading hifi mags altogther from about 1990 until 2008.
I have bought about 10 copies of WHF and a couple of 'Ultimate Guides' in the last 2 - 3 years.

jarra

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Clare..will the mag be going a little retro and showing us what what was available 35 years ago. Would be very interesting,to compare and read about what was hot 35 years ago.

scene

Clare Newsome:Yep, hopefully (archive trawling permitting!) we'll be getting all nostalgic later this year
emotion-5.gif

With some suitable 35th year competition give away hopefully...
emotion-21.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Music centres ahoy!

We had a Philips one when I was a teenager (about 20 years ago), gleaming silver, tape deck, radio and turntable, wide and flat, that's what I used to listen to my PWEI vinyl on originally, happy days, wonder what the old man did with it?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Early/mid 80's, I used to read New HiFiSound and HiFi Answers if I recall the names correctly. There was also High Fidelity, but I think that might've been a little later. I've still got some knocking around somewhere....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Early/mid 80's, I used to read New HiFiSound and HiFi Answers if I recall the names correctly. There was also High Fidelity, but I think that might've been a little later. I've still got some knocking around somewhere....

New Hi-Fi Sound became High Fidelity, and Hi-Fi Answers begat Audiophile, both of blessed memory. I was involved in both relaunches, but in time we realised, as the current magazine market has proved, that there's not a lot of money to be made in publishing high-end hi-fi titles in the print arena. Pity really...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
scene:With some suitable 35th year competition give away hopefully...
emotion-21.gif

Not sure if we can find a Trio or Ferguson music centre, but we'll have a good ol' look...

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
My first hi fi system was an all in one music centre, i had it for a few years and then gave it to my Grandfather, whilst my dad took me to Tottenham Court Road to buy me my first separates system,

28 years later i have had thousands of pounds of different HI FI , yearly upgrades for the pursuit of hi fi nirvana, and a million hi fi mags in choosing them, yet my grandfathers music system is still working , and as new , and it makes me very nostalgic whenever i see it still.

A

Anonymous

Ah, those days before CD players.

Where as the mags were talking about how to get the best out of tweaking there Linn or Thornes deck, and the best Arm/moving coil to go with it.
Then the Maridian 206 CD player that was so so good that it was worth buying into the the CD market.

Ahh, memories ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts