2nd Question on the Marantz PM6004

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I continue to read and read more on HI-FI and the more I get confused and worried. I am a novice at Audio componets and have never been able to afford a nice system untill now. I am not spending a fortune but I feel the PURCHASE of my PM6004 and CD6004 was a lot of money. I still have yet to spend on speakers and I do know that is where the money should go to.

Anyways.....I am just worried that the PM6004 won't be loud enough for my tastes. Like it's underpowered. I do listen to my music a little loud as I have been told all my life.. Is 45 watts really enough to power a system loud and clean.

Most of my music has a range from groups like Rush, Dream Theater to post modern rock and Ambient...

Help calm a worried sole...or I will send it back for a larger unit.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure the Marantz will be fine. How large is the room? If it's a really large room - yes you probably need a more powerful amplifier and speakers which will handle higher power.

The way to get around an amp with lower power is to use speakers which are sensitive. I would go for 8 Ohm nominal impedance speakers with 90 dB or more sensitivity. For example, some people use valve amps which may only have 10 watts per channel but they use more sensitive speakers or play the system at lower vol. I use the Klipsch speakers in my sig, they have quite high power handling and are quite sensitive so I can get away with a lower powered amp (30w per channal @ 8Ohms). Generally, you may find that floorstanding speakers can handle more power and are more sensitive than bookshelf speakers (not always true), therefore these maybe the ones to go for considering you want higher volumes - another advantage of floorstanders is the lower frequency bass.
e.g. Tannoy Mercury V4 (8Ohms, 91 dB sensitivity,peak power handling 200w)

A

Anonymous

I have Klipsch RF82's in the mix, but had planned on putting these back into my HT set up when I got new speakers. Those speakers have a very high sensitivity rating but are a little harsh for music only in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

How would the Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 play together with the PM6004? I was just wondering about which speakers to buy for the 6004 aswell. The BX2's just won the "Best stereo speakers £200-£350, Awards 2011", would'nt they be a good match for the Marantz?

A

Anonymous

BX2 may be speaker of the year but if you can afford to step up to the RX1/2 you will enjoy them a lot more and a lot longer.

Although i have no expereience of the BX6 a lot of people here say its a great speaker also. Remember if you dont have good stands they add to the cost of a standmount to make it almost worth investing directly in a floor stander if you have space.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, Poeple can get hung up on " loudness" . The Marantz has plenty of power for fairly sensitive speakers. I assure you that you would not want to be in the room with it running at full wack. Don't quote me on this but I think most people listen at a level of just under 9 watts on average. I think this has already been mentioned but their are quite a few good sensitive Floorstanders. out there which will give you far more than you will ever need. The new Mission MX3 is a good bet as are Monitor Audio options. Or indeed the Dali Zenzor 5 dependent on budget. Do not sell your Marantz gear it would be a waste of money as the will be perfectly adaqute for what you require. Moon.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the info.

I am in the USA. Are these brand speakers sold here. Of course I am here on this board since I get better info but not all product in the UK are easy to get here.

Campaign

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Having had the PM6002 for a few years I can say with confidence that you won't have any trouble driving reasonably efficient speakers to levels that most would consider bad for neighbour relations.

I use it with Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 floorstanders rated at 89dbw to good effect but MS is probably not really in high supply in the states. In the US I'd look for Klipsch, Polk Audio or even Dynaudio and B&W speakers to suit. Look for 90dbw or higher power ratings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts