2nd hand TD160 vs New turntable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Does anybody know how a 2nd hand Thorens TD160 would compare to a new turntable?

Contemplating buying a 2nd hand TD160 as a project to get it back to it's original state.

What current turntable would you say it would be comparable to fully restored?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
this deck will walk all over every project deck ever built and up to rega p7 and a roksan radius. if it was to have the same arm as a gyro se say an rb250 then there's not much in it. it's that good and works very well with a goldring 1042.

A

Anonymous

Good to hear Gregory,

I think it's the older model not the current one.

I am looking at picking up a Black TD160.

Does it matter which version? MKi1,2,3,4 or S.

How much would it cost to restore, (how long is a piece of string - I know) worse case scenario?

John Duncan

I think you're right, it's LP12 territory, but expect the same issues as an LP12 of that vintage. You might find it becomes a bit of a money pit to bring it up to scratch - how's the motor, does the suspension work, is the arm free of paly or does it need replaced, how much is an armboard for a modern arm, etc. If you fancy the challenge then I think it could reap rewards, but don't expect it to be cheap exercise, necessarily - though obviously this can be longer term.......

John Duncan

Ooo jinx.

If anything needs replaced, it depends on whether you can source spares from the s/h market or not. If a Sondek is anything to go by, it's worth spending £150 to service and setup correctly. From there on in you can spend as much as you like - Origin Live motor upgrade? - 300 quid. New arm and armboard? - £150 quid. etc

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
the thorens base model mk lv is the one to go for but their all good. rega armboards are readily available on ebay for £20..00 an rb 250 arm is about £130.00, the motors seem to go forever and are easily sourced if they should go wrong. you can use linn springs for the suspension and are much easier to set up than said linn but you can also source original springs any way so all in all its a great deck to play about with but even in stock form it's still a cracker but a well turned out 160 will run a linn not seriously close but close enough not to upgrade anymore.

A

Anonymous

Hey Greg/John,

Thanks for your knowledgeable replies, much appreciated.

I'm trying to get hold of the chap who is selling a batch of TD160s, without joy.

He's selling them for £40 each - what does that tell you ??
He has said that they are in working order.

As I said looking at it as a project, are parts readily available?

Thanks again guys.

A

Anonymous

John/Gregory,

Got some feedback:

==============================================================================================

all these decks have no arm and no lid...the condition is fair NOT MINT and the bearings and motors are fine and working well all have sme arm boards fitted

> How easy is it to return to its former glory?
all the decks are working well and if you want perfection the plinths could be resprayed or replaced

> Which Cartridges fit it?
cartridges fit the arm not the deck...all carts work fine on these decks

> What current TT does it compare against?
none...i dont know of any decks @£40...so it must be good value

> What is the condition of the Black?
i have 3 black decks a standard td160B mk11 a similar deck with a professionally made much thicker base board and low voltage sep power supply ...and a td 166 mk11 with modified thicker base board and inside the plater has deadening layer to stop ringing

==============================================================================================

Or do I go for something on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THORENS-TURNTABLE-T-D-166-MK-11-PERFECT_W0QQitemZ260224061652QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3283QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thorens-TD-160-B-MkII-Turntable-TD160-TD160B_W0QQitemZ220217130303QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3283QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thorens-TD-166-Mk11-turntable-arm-cartridge_W0QQitemZ330222422930QQihZ014QQcategoryZ48648QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

My personal favourite, don't think it will go for £40 tho:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THORENS-TD-160B-II-TURNTABLE-WITH-REGA-RB-250-TONEARM_W0QQitemZ200211594174QQihZ010QQcategoryZ3283QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

& hopefully this Thorens road will lead to the true destination: Linn Land !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200211592550&ssPageName=MERC_BC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BID_W0_IT&refitem=200211594174&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=bid_confirm&usedrule1=CategoryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p167.m184&_trkparms=its%3DS%252BI%252BSD

What do you reckon chaps?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
for £40.00 i'd take a punt but dont get the 166, it's not as good. if as he says the motor is working go for it. depending on what arm you go for cartridges do make a difference. these decks are not that hard to get up to speed but they are a long way off a linn my friend. they are very good and in fine fettle they come close but not close enough it depends how good it's set up. have a look on the vinyl engine they have a dedicated thorens site.

A

Anonymous

Gregory,

When I said Linn Land I didn't mean this would sound like a Linn, no, I'm wet behind the ears but not that naive.

I was referring to the journey, TD160 then xxx then xxx then xxx then LP12 = Linn Land (eventually)

SS

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts