2nd hand Linn Classik or separates??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Looking to buy a new sytem after years with small mini system. Looking at 2nd hand Linn or is seperates the route to go?

Thinking of Marantz CD6002 with either the new Marantz PM6001(not many reviews)/Rotel RA-04 or 2nd hand Roksan Kandy L3?? Going with bookshelf speakers in medium sized room.

Any advice appreciated. Will not be listening to classic. Mixed music taste, rock, massive attack, pink floyd, muse, chilli peppers, underworld, metallica, motown......

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
If you love rock/dance you would be mad to rule out this combination below

Linn Classik - QED speaker wire

Tannoy Mercury F1 bookshelf speakers with Alphason/Atacama stands.

I have heard this system as I own the Classik and I hooked it up to my parents Tannoys and the sound was awesome. Metallicas Master of Puppets sounded fab. As for the Black album wow.

Love playing metal and old skool dance through the Linn Classik.

A

Anonymous

If you look on e bay linn klassics pop up fairly regularly.They are quite often ex display models being sold from shops with a full 5 year guarantee. I have seen them sell for 550-600 quid, That is a serious bargain. As for pairing them with the tannoy F1 speakers, are the tannoys not about £100 new? Good speakers as I am sure they are,the klassic is about £900 new and is capable of being paired with far far better speakers than the tannoys. Think monitor audio RS1's and upwards.

I think you would need to demo the separates against the klassic to be sure but certainly the Klassic is a match for good budget amps and cd players costing about £300 -£400 each.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I own the B&W 705 speakers and i find the Tannoy Mercury F1s to be nearly as good.

For under 100 quid you are getting a great set of speakers.

The Classik is as good as the name suggests.

I sold a Rotel setup to have one and I personally find it better sounding.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
This all depends on how much you have to spend and how much space you have.

I have a separates system downstairs and a Linn Classik in the bedroom, and quite frankly the Linn sounds good but I only have it going through small Epos ELS speakers, and like if you chose the Tannoys, the sound is limited when compared to a full separates system and larger speakers.

By all means go for the Classik if you are looking to a small system that doesn't take up much room, but pair it with good speakers, I personally would go for a better speaker than the Tannoy above, the Linn is capable of much more. You could try EPOS m12.2, or AVI Neutron IV or PMC DB1s as standmounts, or floorstanding MA BR5, KEF iQ5se, or something second hand from PMC, B&W, Dali.

In my opinion, you should go for separates with good speakers.

A

Anonymous

Plan to spend between £500 and £700.

Was looking at the budget option in last months issue and the they recommended the Marantz CD6002/Rotel RA-04/BR2 speakers for £720

Thought that maybe better off going for some second hand equipement. It never says in the reviews what sort of music the equipment suits. Roksan Kandy amp got great reviews but does it pair with the marantaz and does it suit a range of music, not all heavy.

A

Anonymous

i demo'd some speakers recently and we used a Roksan kandy.It was very good and powerful but we all felt it was slightly over rated for the money. The rotel mon audio set up you mentioned sounds good but the BR2's are killed by b&w's new 686's.the smaller brother of the 685. if you could stretch the money i would go for them.The linn Klassic sounds stunning though and is very practical.if it was me i would have the linn Klassic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts