New Marantz?? or 2nd hand PM7200 or PM7001Ki ot PM17ki

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

Looking for some help with choosing a new marantz amp. I do like the sound and look of the marantz but unsure whether to go new or 2nd hand. Mainly be listening to rock/dance - paired with MA BR2 at the moment.

Is it worth wating for the New Marantz models to appear or do i go a little cheaper and look at 2nd hand PM7200 or PM7001Ki or PM17ki? Which is the best of these 3?

Any help appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Out of the amplifiers you listed, the PM17KI is best. Followed by the 7001KI, the PM7200 I wouldn't consider. About the new models, I don't know if they will be better, judging by the ones you've listed, I think you should atleast look at the PM8003 to get a better sounding amp then tha 7001Ki and PM17. The 8003 is the successor to the 7001KI, the Marantz rep didn't make it quite clear what was changed internally, so I find it quite hard to say whether it will be better.

And I hate to say this, but Marantz may not be the obvious answer if you listen to alot of rock/dance. I find that my PM17 excells in vocal stuff, acoustic stuff and classical, but rock sounds a bit less. I recently had a thread about this, and got some sensible answers. It may also be due to partnering, your best bet would be to try it for yourself and see how you get on.

For what kind of prices did you find the 7001 and PM17?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Found the PM7001KI for £450 or just the normal PM7001 for £250.

PM17ki for £550 or normal PM17 mk2 for £330.

I know most people say to spend as much as you can afford, considering the music i am listening to is it worth the extra cash for the Ki versions?

A

Anonymous

utah:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Found the PM7001KI for £450 or just the normal PM7001 for £250.

PM17ki for £550 or normal PM17 mk2 for £330.

I know most people say to spend as much as you can afford, considering the music i am listening to is it worth the extra cash for the Ki versions?

Are we talking about the PM17 MK2 KI or normal PM17 KI? If the former, definitely get the normal PM17Mk2, it's newer than the PM17KI and all I've heard and read it should be about the same sq-wise. The Mark 2 PM17 has a larger powersupply, meaning it can drive large speakers a bit better.

I certainly wouldn't pay 220 pounds more for the KI. 330 pounds is an excellent price, trust me. Here in the Netherlands, the usual going rate for the MK2 is roughly 450-500 quid. It also pains me to say this, but the Mark 2 also does look a bit better than the normal PM17 (or KI for that matter). Instead of round volume and input knobs, they're flat.

If you want an excellent Marantz resource site, look here: www.marantzphilips.nl.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts