M/A RS6 speakers with either Cyrus, Roksan or MF

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm going to be finally upgrading my Arcam 9 integrated amp and 9 CDP at the end of this month. I'm possibly looking at either the Roksan Kandy lII amp/CDP combo, the Cyrus 8V2/8CDP combo OR i'm going to save myself a few bob (to spend on the house etc) and go for decent 2nd hand Musical Fidelity seperates off Ebay (mainly an X-series amp and the X-Ray CDP). Has anyone on here lisetned to any of the above with the M/A RS6 or RS8 speakers and if so, what was the sound like? I'm going to Sevenoaks in Preston in a few weeks to audition the Cyrus and Roksan combo's. I could possibly also get chance to listen to an Arcam FMJ A32 amp (if they still have it in stock). At the moment, my Arcam amp and CDP sound superb with the RS6 speakers, the Arcams smooth sound and great weight make the RS6's sing really well with plenty of punch and great timing, but i think its time to upgrade and i will relgate the Arcam combo to my bedroom/kitchen with some old but very good AE100 standmount speakers. I want to try and keep to the same sound as much as possible. Obviously i dont like harsh treble and poor bass etc, i listen to alot of modern electronic music such as Fischerspooner, Massive Attack, Underworld, Daft Punk, Layo & Bushwacker to Nelly Furtardo, Morcheeba, Moby, Hed Kandi and i listen to Iron Maiden, Metallica, SOAD etc.

A

Anonymous

If you like the smooth sound of your Arcam, I would take the MF route - listened to Cyrus/RS6 combo which is a little bright and bass light compared to MF, but not unlistenable - drags up more timing and analysis than MF though so maybe suited to your musical tastes.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
hi Dan
emotion-2.gif

For your taste in music, get an amp that really punchy (exposure, Naim, Densen) and go for smooth cd player (like Marantz, MF X-ray V8).

The problem here is the RS6 does put it's own footprint to the sound and that said "bright", certainly not the easiest speakers to partner.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi Thaiman thanks for your input - Naim has already been ruled out as i do not like the sound at all. Just something about Naim that doesnt suit my music.

With regards to Marantz, i dont like them either, never have. Theyre too lazy for my ears.

MF may be the winner so far as i know they have the power and punch im after as well as the refinement.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Does anyone have experience of either the Musical Fidelity X150 or XA2 amps?

I'm looking at both currently but want to know whether they have the opunch/bass weight im after for my taste in music and to drive my M/A RS6 speakers well?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Musical Fidelity X150 [/quote]

Ebay....link

cheap and better than your Arcam...imo (the X-A2 will go for similar price but although good the X-150 is much better)

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Gone already !! Did you get the X-150 Dan ??

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Musical Fidelity X150 [/quote]

Ebay....link

cheap and better than your Arcam...imo (the X-A2 will go for similar price but although good the X-150 is much better)

[/quote]

TRENDING THREADS