24m cable run???

robs1001

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got a Marantz MCR603 and some Monitor Audio BX2 speakers. I'd like to add a second pair of BX2s to the Marantz in a second room down the hall.

Assuming this is a workable setup, my worry is that the cables for the B speakers will have to be 24 metres long. (A route that goes along skirting boards and around two doorways.) My question is, will this long length cause performance problems? At the moment I am looking at QED 79 cable and it's going to cost about £80, more than I am happy with but just about in the realms of acceptability.

Many thanks in advance for any advice, Rob

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I use 21 metre cable lengths of 762 strand that I cut off a 100metre reel that I bought off ebay for £108. I really can't hear what, if any, effect this cable length is supposed to have. Certainly no effect that isn't completely over-ridden by other factors such as speaker toe-in or changing the height of my listening position.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
robs1001 said:
Great, thank you both.

I would agree with the above, but also add that you won't get any advantage by using a named brand. In fact I'd be tempted to say you may get a slight improvement using a thicker cable for such a run.

A quick search on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-2-5mm-Loud-Speaker-Cable/dp/B003CZD3I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357664143&sr=8-1

That will do nicely. (or search for bigger even, I just realised it's the same cross section as QED 79 strand.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts