2.1 surround system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everybody. Pleased to meet this forum. This is my first post and so please excuse any boring questions you all can answer blind folded. I have decided to take the step from a good quality 100hz Sony CRT TV to LCD. After 2 days of various magazine reading (yours included), consulting this site and shop touring I have finally decided and ordered the LCD TV Panasonic TX-32LDX700. Here in Italy the part number of this set at the AV centers has an F at the end - ...X700F - but on the manufacturer Viera brochure this letter does not appear anywhere. Specs on the web are the same searching both typings. I hope I have not ordered the wrong set!!! Any comment? Ok, I come to the subject: I do not have at the moment the possibility to install a full 5.1 - 7.1 surround system as for my living room layout. From your extensive experience can you advise a very good 2.1 surround system with hdmi output, 1080i upscaling, performing video and audio, etc.? I was looking at the new Denon Smart series, specifically to the S-301, but it costs more than the Panasonic LCD... Have you already tested this series? I'm open to your suggestions! Thank you.

A

Anonymous

Welcome aboard. Mosf of us are civilized enough not to show off, so don't be shy about 'boring' questions, it's what we're here for. First: I'm not familiar with the 'F' suffix on your set, but if the specs are the same, and it looks the same, I'd imagine it is. Panasonic, like most companies, puts suffixes on its main model codes that identify both country of sale and, in some cases, finish (eg B for Black, S for Silver). Not entirely sure how F might apply to Italy, but still.

As to audio: we've also admired Denon's S-301 kit, but the company has recently announced an all-new system, the S-302, which costs around £1000. From the specs, it looks great (notably more sophisticated than the unit it replaces), although until we do a full test, which I hope will be soon, I don't want to get too carried away. If I was you, though, I'd make every effort to see it.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for replying.
Yes, you are correct, I mistyped the model.. sorry.
I meant indeed the new S-302. From the specs on their web site it looks to be a quite fulfilling compact system.
Ok, unfortunately they took out SACD decoding that the S-301 had...
It features different multiple type of high quality digital audio inputs so it should manage well a HD DVD or BLU RAY player audio output.
I have the impression that it has outstanding audio performance, but what can we expect as video performance? Denon DVD players are almost always reported among the best buys in their cathegory, so it shouldn't disappoint.
Here in Italy, searching the web for S-302 prices, they range about 1700 - 1900 Euros.
I hope you will be able to test this system soon.

Any alternative in your mind? Onkyo, Cambridge Audio or other?

A

Anonymous

I can't imagine too many problems with the S-302's DVD-Video performance. Denon claims it uses the DVD drive from the company's DVD-2930, a fine dedicated player costing around £650 in its heyday. Whatever the case, picture quality was undoubtedly one of the strongest assets of the older S-301, so I'd expect similar standards here.

However, I should point that it doesn't accept audio via HDMI: it has an HDMI output socket, but no inputs. Best quality for digital audio will therefore be optical or coaxial digital. This will give you access to Dolby Digital and DTS sound from an HD DVD or Blu-ray deck, but no more than that. However, in the context of the system, that's probably acceptable.

If you're chasing something stylish that also offers high-definition audio support and the barest minimum of kit, try Pioneer's LX01. It's the most sophisticated home cinema in a box I know of - doesn't have the wi-fi connectivity of the Denon, it's true, but it compensates with audio decoding for Dolby TrueHD and more, plus a hard-disk and many other features. Here in the UK it's available for around £1500. Worth a good look, I reckon.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your comments.
Yes, I was aware that the Denon will not handle raw HD audio via HDMI: considering I am looking for a 2.1 system, I imagine this feature is more important for higher quality (and higher money) hi end systems.
I was reading in the forums that coaxial is preferred over optical, unless of long cable runs where the second features less signal loss. this could be a very good solution for me.
I'll surely look into the Pioneer.

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

I got myself the Onkyo LS-V501 for Christmas and I am rather impressed. The same as in the denon you have to connect it via optical or coaxial to get proper audio, but that works well when connected to my satelite reciever. DVD playback is good. Music sounds fantastic (but it is not easy to set the damn thing up, because the sub doesnt work well with the satelites and the sound is crappy, untill you mess around with the settings for a longer while). It looks fantastic, has 2 hdmi inputs and costs 800 Euro (in Poland), where the Denon costs +/- 1500...

Its a winner for me :)

A

Anonymous

Fwiw, here are my two cents: the Denon 302 sounds alot worse than the 301 did, it sounds less detailed and dynamic, the subwoofer is alot smaller and doesn't have a lot of impact imho.

The 301 felt like a classy bit of kit, sturdy, solid main unit, heavy, metal remote, and while the 302 retains the same looks as the 301, it feels like a cheap knock-off. If you don't care about the WiFi features and 1080P upscaling, you might as well get a 301 on clearance, that's what I'd do.

The earlier mentioned Onkyo is another viable option, at a much more interesting pricepoint.

Another option, with in my opinion a very believeable surround sound from two speakers: the Kif KIT100, it's an older model, but still sounds very impressive to my ears.

Your mileage may vary, take a few of your favourite cd's and dvd's into a store and try out a few systems, see how you like them.

A

Anonymous

hi,

i was just told by the local dealers that the kit works on a wall reflective model only, so if a room has no pronounced walls( i would imagine a square or rectangular room) and with furniture, the sound would be affected. Based on this, would since my room does not fit the perfect wall system, would the KIT still have believable sounds?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts