2.1: A/V Amp v Hifi

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Is there any actual advantage/benefit in running movies through an A/V in a purely 2.1 set-up as opposed to running it through a hifi? (unless you're planning to upgrade to full surround in the future, of course)

I admit my ignorance but, frankly, I can see none myself unless I'm missing something.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes, there are many.

Firstly, any dealy in the audio signal resulting in an out of sync udio track can be adjusted on an AV amp/receiver.

Secondly, the volume for the centre channel information, which carries much of the dialogue, can be adjusted independently to the left and right channels. Some films have a low centre channel level.

Thirdly, using a sub means you'll get much deeper bass than any hi-fi speaker can reproduce (with a decent sub of course). Also, the sub uses a discreet channel, having specific info which can be found on any DVD or Bluray (except those encoded in mono or stereo).

And as you say, you have the option of going 5.1 or 7.1 at a later date.

Hope this helps.

Messiah

If you are going to only run the system in 2.1 then I would go for a stereo amp. You will get a better stereo performance for the money compared to an AV amp.

If you do then I would just ensure that any DVD or BD player is set to stereo output. As for the points that Dave has raised:

1. True a stereo amp will not allow for any sound delay but this should not happen anyway. I have been running everything in 2.1 for a while now and have had no issues with delay. (Maybe I have been lucky??)

2. There will be no need for centre level adjustment if you don't have one. (To be honest, I have never needed to adjust my centre speaker volume when I did have surround sound. Surely if this is the case then the film has been mastered incorrectly or the set up is not right??)

3. Certainly a sub will give excellent bass response. I will always recommend a good sub!

To clarify, I have been running my system in 2.1 for a while now and have absolutely no issues with it and it sounds excellent.

But, if you are thinking of upgrading at a later date then certainly an AV amp makes sense.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Some people won't run into sync issues, but many will - forums are full of people with these problems. Even TV broadcasts are out of sync - watch very closely and you'll notice it. It'll vary depending on the channel and sometimes the broadcast. The more source components you have, the more likely you are to have issues.

Many films are mastered incorrectly. I've noticed quite a few films have low centre channel levels, need boosting.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your replies and differing opinions!

I run my BD straight in to my Denon micro and I'm pretty thrilled with it to be honest (likewise when I ran
my DVD through it, too).

As mine's a bedroom set up, 5.1 etc. is never going to be a realistic option and was testing the water to see if a 2.1 would offer any real tangible benefits over what I have already. I would have needed an AV with front pre-outs (expensive?) as I could only use my existing Tannoy's for the front speakers, but may invest in a sub in the future. Think I'll stick with what I've got, then, unless maybe I spot a real bargain!

A

Anonymous

This is a question for messiah really.

I noticed you are running AVI ADm 9.1s. I have recently bought a AVI Neutron 5 2.1 system complete with matching sub - I absolutely love it. However I am having a slight problem concerning my Sony BDP-S760 Bluray player. The problem is that when I select the D1 input channel on my AVI sub, the sound from the Sony dosn't appear. I also have my Panasonic DVD Recorder and Samsung LCD TV set up on different optical input channels on the sub, and they all work fine. I was wondering if you knew of the correct audio setting I need my Sony to be set to, to get the audio out of the sub.

I don't see the need for home cinema when 3 speakers sound this good!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
frank is right about low centre volume.Ive heard many 2.1 recent home cinemas and the voices are always so low on volume compared to everything else.maybe the AVI's are good with voices

Messiah

asbrru:
This is a question for messiah really.

I noticed you are running AVI ADm 9.1s. I have recently bought a AVI Neutron 5 2.1 system complete with matching sub - I absolutely love it. However I am having a slight problem concerning my Sony BDP-S760 Bluray player. The problem is that when I select the D1 input channel on my AVI sub, the sound from the Sony dosn't appear. I also have my Panasonic DVD Recorder and Samsung LCD TV set up on different optical input channels on the sub, and they all work fine. I was wondering if you knew of the correct audio setting I need my Sony to be set to, to get the audio out of the sub.

I don't see the need for home cinema when 3 speakers sound this good!

I expect the BD player is set to output sound over HDMI and not optical. You will need to alter the settings to bypass the HDMI and output via Optical.

manicm

I'm running a pure stereo AV system and also have experienced no lip synch problems - with both Blu-rays and DVDs - I have a full HD LCD and Sony 360 BDP (will update my sig shortly and some pics :)

I enjoy the sound immensely in stereo - and DVDs are perfect.

There is one issue with Blu-ray however - stereo dialogue levels are even lower than DVD and you have to REALLY crank up the volume. Sound quality however is stunning! Better than DVD even in stereo.

So if you're going Blu-ray then I would seriously consider a 5.1+ system. However I just manage to get away with it in stereo.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
manicm:

There is one issue with Blu-ray however - stereo dialogue levels are even lower than DVD and you have to REALLY crank up the volume. Sound quality however is stunning! Better than DVD even in stereo.

So if you're going Blu-ray then I would seriously consider a 5.1+ system. However I just manage to get away with it in stereo.

I don't have such problems with mine. What are you running your BD through out of interest?

manicm

Sizzers:manicm:

I don't have such problems with mine. What are you running your BD through out of interest?

I have my Sony BDP-S360 connected to my LCD purely for video thru HDMI, and for audio the 360 to my amp through the stereo analog out - I've set my 360 audio setting to 2-channel stereo analogue, although if I enable the internal speaker on my LCD sound still comes out thru HDMI - but I disable the LCDs speaker when using the 360.

Dialogue is fine thru DVDs, but have to crank up around 10db more for Blu-ray.

My amp is puny though - Arcam Solo Mini 25w.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Run my BD audio straight to my little Denon and can't say I've noticed any difference to be honest. There again, only got 3 Blu Ray discs so far to compare! lol

TRENDING THREADS