11.2 What would you need and is it worth it?

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Pretty much as it reads in the title.

Which AV Amps are capable of this and with what add ons? (How many amps etc)

I have MA Silver RS8's, RSLCR, RSW12 and 4x RSFX. Which speakers would match with these?

Thanks for all the help so far

Cameron

A

Anonymous

Unless you've got a massive room I would stick to 7.1 or even 5.1. Even with bluray most disks only have 7.1 anyway!

I could imagine using two subs but otherwise I would get better speakers rather than more of them!

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
My room is 4.7m x 9.0m in an L-shape with an additional 5m x 3.3m approximately off one end.

Whilst I accept all of your excellent advice so far it still doesn't explain how some people claim that front height speakers can enhance your movie experience and how you actually run these with an existing 7.1 set up.

Can you actually run front height, front wide, surround side and surround back speakers at the same time alongside the normal Left, Centre, Right and subwoofer speakers?

If the answer is yes then what combination of amps/reciever/pre pros would you need?

I see that there is mention of DTS NeoX on the way, I presume this supports more speakers?

Sorry to keep banging on about this but a definitive answer would be good.

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
camdxr said:
Can you actually run front height, front wide, surround side and surround back speakers at the same time alongside the normal Left, Centre, Right and subwoofer speakers?

It all comes down to the number of channels an amp can output. To do the above, you need one which can output 11 channels (as you have 11 separate speakers) - most budget and midrange amps can output 7 channels (thus giving you a choice of standard 7.1 or 5.1 with two front "presence" speakers). As you get towards the higher end (think circa £1,500), you find amps which can output 9 channels, giving you 7.1 and two front "presence" speakers (either height or wide). To get front height and front wide speakers alongside a standard 7.1 layout, you'd need 11 channels which only a few of the very top end integrated amps will do (like the aforementioned DSP-Z11), though expect this technology to trickle down into cheaper AV receivers as time passes.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Your room is big enough to accomodate such a system, but things could get messy unless you're looking at a custom install (I can't imagine the cabling, unless you can hide it in the walls).

There was an amusing thread some time ago, where pics were posted of a bedroom system that used more JBL Control One speakers than I could count, to compliment a 21" 4:3 CRT TV. I'd imagine your proposed system would be classier, but if you can track down the thread it may dissuade you from installing a system using quite so many speakers...

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Guys, all good comments.

If you didn't go for an integrated amp and sourced a seperate Pre Amp Processor capable of the 11.2 and the prerequisite number of amps to drive the speakers instead, where should you start to look?

And realistically what price point do these start at?

Thanks

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
On the Pre/Pro and power amp side you would need a processor that will do the 11 channel + sub output & 11 channels of power amp (or 2*7 channel power amps and Bi-amp the main front 3 channels).

Chris

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
cheyworth said:
On the Pre/Pro and power amp side you would need a processor that will do the 11 channel + sub output & 11 channels of power amp (or 2*7 channel power amps and Bi-amp the main front 3 channels).

Chris

Anybody got any suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS