1 star panasonic gets best buy?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Clare Newsome:
Well indeed....

Nice conspiracy theory re Sony, by the way - the trolling poster seems to have neglected the amount of poor reviews Sony gets (and the amount of rave reviews the 2008 TVs are getting from every publication).

In the current issue, for example, there's a couple of three-star Sony reviews, and the Sony Blu-ray player gets beaten by the Panasonic.

Oh, and Samsung beats Sony in a TV group test. But hey, why let facts get in the way of a good trolling...

And Manchester United are still rubbish.

HERE HERE!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Sadly Man U weren't rubbish the day they inflicted what remains the biggest Premiership thrashing (9-0) on Ipswich back in the heady days we were in the top flight. I so enjoy them trotting out that stat every time there's a heavy defeat
emotion-6.gif

Getting back to the review (people really shouldn't talk about the SECOND most decorated club in Britain), I read it yesterday and it did not make sense. It got 1s out of 5 in nearly all the labs tests (Denon 1909) scored 4s and 5s. They say something like upscaling is not part of the package and then on another unit without upscaling, "sadly missing". Basically a shocking group test. I wouldn't take a blind bit of notice from it.

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:Sadly Man U weren't rubbish the day they inflicted what remains the biggest Premiership thrashing (9-0) on Ipswich back in the heady days we were in the top flight. I so enjoy them trotting out that stat every time there's a heavy defeat
emotion-6.gif

Yeah but I'm not going to let the facts get in the way of a good trolling.

A

Anonymous

It may also just be a massive coincidence, but the same issue a Panasonic wins the group test is also the issue that has a 16 page Panasonic sponsored 'Blu-ray buyers guide' (with nice big Panasonic banners atop every page).

Hmmmmmmm

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Where did all the trolls suddenly come from - did a bridge collapse somewhere?

If aimed at myself I'm most certainly not trolling at all (as a moderator on forums I know exactly how much of a pain it can be).

My observation is a perfectly valid one, Panasonic provides advertising for a magazine (and a lots of it in this case) and a product that fails at the lab runs away with a group test win, I personally think that's worth of note.

A

Anonymous

I'm not a troll. I'm a lurker! Never posted here before, but have been reading for a few months.

A

Anonymous

Who would have thought a Panasonic receiver could have stoked up such controversy? For the record, Richard Stevenson is a massively experienced writer who contributes AVR reviews every month to Home Cinema Choice and Hi-Fi News. Both highly respected publications, even if I say so myself.
And much as I love conspiracy theories, let's forget all that hoary old nonsense about editorial being swayed by advertising. If mags like What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision and HCC had to Best Buy products based on a manufactures ad spend they'd disappear faster than a plate of Krispy Kremes.
Perhaps the simple fact is that Richard thought the Panasonic sounded better than the Sony DG820 and was a better value partner for a PS3 (the point of our grouptest) than the Denon AVR-1909.
Because of all the interest, I've put Richard's review online at www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews along with an explanation of the tech data. Readers of this thread might find it interesting

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
EditorHCC:Who would have thought a Panasonic receiver could have stoked up such controversy? For the record, Richard Stevenson is a massively experienced writer who contributes AVR reviews every month to Home Cinema Choice and Hi-Fi News. Both highly respected publications, even if I say so myself.
And much as I love conspiracy theories, let's forget all that hoary old nonsense about editorial being swayed by advertising. If mags like What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision and HCC had to Best Buy products based on a manufactures ad spend they'd disappear faster than a plate of Krispy Kremes.
Perhaps the simple fact is that Richard thought the Panasonic sounded better than the Sony DG820 and was a better value partner for a PS3 (the point of our grouptest) than the Denon AVR-1909.
Because of all the interest, I've put Richard's review online at www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews along with an explanation of the tech data. Readers of this thread might find it interesting

That's pretty poor journalism if you ask me. The review in the magazine that I read the other day, and the "back track" that I've just read from your link, could have you thinking that you were reading about two different machines.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
GJL:
professorhat:Where did all the trolls suddenly come from - did a bridge collapse somewhere?

If aimed at myself I'm most certainly not trolling at all (as a moderator on forums I know exactly how much of a pain it can be).

My observation is a perfectly valid one, Panasonic provides advertising for a magazine (and a lots of it in this case) and a product that fails at the lab runs away with a group test win, I personally think that's worth of note.

If you say so.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:GJL:

If you say so.

What a friendly environment - so glad I signed up here.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No malice intended my friend. It's just "observations" such as yours aren't "truth" and thus have little value to anyone (unless you're holding back some vital evidence). As Steve said in his post:

EditorHCC:And much as I love conspiracy theories, let's forget all that hoary old nonsense about editorial being swayed by advertising. If mags like What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision and HCC had to Best Buy products based on a manufactures ad spend they'd disappear faster than a plate of Krispy Kremes.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:No malice intended my friend. It's just "observations" such as yours aren't "truth" and thus have little value to anyone (unless you're holding back some vital evidence). As Steve said in his post:

EditorHCC:And much as I love conspiracy theories, let's forget all that hoary old nonsense about editorial being swayed by advertising. If mags like What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision and HCC had to Best Buy products based on a manufactures ad spend they'd disappear faster than a plate of Krispy Kremes.

Not a problem, but to be clear I posted my comments as an observation, not as a fact. I was always under the impression that observations, speculation and opinion formed an important part of discussion. As long as opinion is not presented as fact then I don't see the problem at all, and in this case it seems to have aided in getting a response from the magazine in question, something that I would argue adds to the discussion.

Lets be honest if we limit ourselves to simply what is fact, this and every other forum on the web is going to be both dull and shortlived.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Calm down everyone, let's be friends.

The HCC receiver review just seems to be a case of a freelance writer having a different opinion to our team of testers (and his own lab tests) - no law against that!

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

The HCC receiver review just seems to be a case of a freelance writer having a different opinion to our team of testers (and his own lab tests) - no law against that!

It's actually quite common to see review mags differing in opinion on products...

This situation also highlights a complaint I have with many mags that perform lab tests: If at the end of the day, the rating is just based on the reviewer's opinion (with little/no regard to the tests) then what's the point of the tests?

A

Anonymous

Ajani:Clare Newsome:

It's actually quite common to see review mags differing in opinion on products...

This situation also highlights a complaint I have with many mags that perform lab tests: If at the end of the day, the rating is just based on the reviewer's opinion (with little/no regard to the tests) then what's the point of the tests?

What a tin of worms! i wish id kept me gob shut.

And in response to the above, yes it is common to have differing opinions but their not normally quite so polarized, thats what i found odd.

A

Anonymous

This thread is now tiresome. [ Excuse the hypocrisy concerning the length of the Gotham thread ]

A

Anonymous

GJL:

What a friendly environment - so glad I signed up here.

You noticed! :)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:This thread is now tiresome.

Rather like the Panasonic receiver's abrasive tone
emotion-5.gif

But yes, everything's been said that needed to be (and plenty that didn't) so let's call this one a day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts