1 star panasonic gets best buy?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The panasonic av reciver that got a 1 star review in what hifi wins a best buy award and an other well regarded publication. How could the reviews be so differnt im not saying whos right and whos wrong becouse ive not heard the equipment in question. strange!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
They must have heard a very different receiver to the one we had into test.... Or maybe they didn't compare it directly with the class leaders?
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

weird thing is clare it was in a group test with the an onk a denon and a sony???????????

A

Anonymous

garethwd:The panasonic av reciver that got a 1 star review in what hifi wins a best buy award and an other well regarded publication. How could the reviews be so differnt im not saying whos right and whos wrong becouse ive not heard the equipment in question. strange!

Which publication is it? I've hardly seen any one star reviews in WHF so it must be really rubbish to get just one star. Maybe need to check whether the unit was faulty?

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
It is the Panasonic SA-BX500,. so we need to trust What-HiFi comments and recommendations, for the benefit of us.

Let not investigate by ourself. Leave the job to What Hifi professionals.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Given that Panasonic does not have a strong history in this area, I would be very surprised indeed if it really was better than a Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo... BTW, has a product ever been awarded zero stars? Seems logical that if a product is really bad, then it shouldn't get any "stars".

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:It's a magazine. It's an opinion. It's not the law. Get over it.

I don't think there's need for comments like that, it was just someone stating how vastly different two reviews of the same product. I personally like to read a number of reviews before buying anything, as it provides a more rounded opinion of the product I'm looking at. I'd imagine quite a few other people do this as well, it's pretty much common sense.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
seakingadvice:BTW, has a product ever been awarded zero stars? Seems logical that if a product is really bad, then it shouldn't get any "stars".

In recent months several have got very close.

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
seakingadvice:Given that Panasonic does not have a strong history in this area, I would be very surprised indeed if it really was better than a Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo... BTW, has a product ever been awarded zero stars? Seems logical that if a product is really bad, then it shouldn't get any "stars".

A star is given for the good effort.. like thank you
emotion-1.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Andy Grange:Andrew Everard:It's a magazine. It's an opinion. It's not the law. Get over it.

I don't think there's need for comments like that, it was just someone stating how vastly different two reviews of the same product. I personally like to read a number of reviews before buying anything, as it provides a more rounded opinion of the product I'm looking at. I'd imagine quite a few other people do this as well, it's pretty much common sense.

You just made my point for me even better than I did, albeit at somewhat greater length.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I think we all need to calm down a little. The Panasonic, as we tested it for performance-per-pound, against a range of rivals, just simply didn't stack up. For example, as we say in the verdict the much-cheaper Sony STR-DG820 easily outperformed it in every area.

But even setting performance aside, I fail to see how a £400 receiver that doesn't even offer HDMI upconversion, or a decent configuration system, can truly compete with the likes of Onkyo, Denon etc in this area.

A

Anonymous

radovantz:
seakingadvice:Given that Panasonic does not have a strong history in this area, I would be very surprised indeed if it really was better than a Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo... BTW, has a product ever been awarded zero stars? Seems logical that if a product is really bad, then it shouldn't get any "stars".

A star is given for the good effort.. like thank you
emotion-1.gif

Ha! Ha! That's why we see absurd grade inflation in schools these days that getting an A just isn't the same as in the past. I remember reading this news article on how a professor gave a student marks just because he wrote a one word *expletive* on the paper and nothing else.

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:
seakingadvice:BTW, has a product ever been awarded zero stars? Seems logical that if a product is really bad, then it shouldn't get any "stars".

In recent months several have got very close.

Good old Gotham...........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts