1 HDMI, 1 3D TV, but HD sound via non-3D receiver? May be possible!

F

FunkyMonkey

Just had a thought on the topic of getting HD sound using a non-3D receiver and just one HDMI input. How about if you set the blu ray player to PCM out - you will still get the HD sound, albeit converted to PCM as opposed to the HD bitstream. Will that work do we reckon?

Obviously I won't get the HD icon light up on my receiver, but there should be little or no loss in soudn quality (compared to having to listen to a lossy sound stream).

If I am right, this could save a lot of headache for wannabe 3D adopters who already have an adequate reciever.

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
I may be being completely thick here, but I would imagine the issue would be the video rather then the audio? If you've got a non 3D receiver, surely the video won't be accepted by the receiver?

Or are you talking about HDMI straight from 3D source to TV, and optical/coaxial cable to receiver?

F

FunkyMonkey

Andy Grange:I may be being completely thick here, but I would imagine the issue would be the video rather then the audio? If you've got a non 3D receiver, surely the video won't be accepted by the receiver? Or are you talking about HDMI straight from 3D source to TV, and optical/coaxial cable to receiver?

No, I am being thick here. Sorry everyone. HD PCM can't be sent over Optical. Doh. (Can it??)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
In theory, yes, but not multichannel HD PCM - there just isn't the bandwidth. And as Andy Grange says, the problem's not the audio anyway, but the transmission of 3D video via a non-HDMI 1.4 compliant receiver.

Of course, if you buy a 3D BD machine with multichannel analogue outs, and your receiver has matching multichannel analogue ins - problem solved.

TRENDING THREADS