€3,000 integrated amp

When you asked a similar question three weeks ago, I replied here. So did many others.

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/amp-recommendation-under-ps2500

As to used or new, it depends if you can judge what a new amp will sound like, and how well it has been treated. An ex demo unit can save a fair bit, as can a recently discontinued model.

rchinn

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
After looking at lots of options, and taking account where the amp will live in the room, I have narrowed down to two options:

1. Peachtree Nova 300 - the new option
2. Devialet 200 - the second hand option, around 2 years old

The Devialet can also be upgraded or run as half of dual mono set-up in the future, but that is around the same cost again (but guess that will come down a little in time).

I am impressed by everything I have read about Devialet, but it also feels like buying a PC in the 90's... soon my Pentium will be outdated by Pentium Pro. And its equally pricey.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I am probably slightly biased as I have the Devialet 200 and I think it's a great piece of kit

i have not upgraded to the Pro series as I feel I have to stop chasing the next upgrade type of thing.

The 200 is a very detailed amp and for me it's biggest strength is the bass. It really is excellent and it's what I noticed most.

Also I have seen them priced at around £2800 lately, I think that's a steal

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Womaz said:
I am probably slightly biased as I have the Devialet 200 and I think it's a great piece of kit

i have not upgraded to the Pro series as I feel I have to stop chasing the next upgrade type of thing.

The 200 is a very detailed amp and for me it's biggest strength is the bass. It really is excellent and it's what I noticed most.

Also I have seen them priced at around £2800 lately, I think that's a steal

+1 You don't have to upgrade. The Amp sounds excellent as it is and will continue to do so for many years. The good thing is that you can choose to upgrade at any point in the future.

rchinn said:
After looking at lots of options, and taking account where the amp will live in the room, I have narrowed down to two options:

1. Peachtree Nova 300 - the new option2. Devialet 200 - the second hand option, around 2 years old

The Devialet can also be upgraded or run as half of dual mono set-up in the future, but that is around the same cost again (but guess that will come down a little in time).

I am impressed by everything I have read about Devialet, but it also feels like buying a PC in the 90's... soon my Pentium will be outdated by Pentium Pro. And its equally pricey.
A used Dev is very tempting. There have been a few 200s in the U.K. for around £3500 recently. There have been some reported issues with wireless I believe, and they are limited on inputs (which may be irrelevant to you). They definitely sound great though.

I like your analogy with early PCs. Though I'm impressed at Dev's speed of development, I'm wary of obsolescence. I fear they may have overstretched and risk failing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts