£250 budget: amp old or new?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
My brother-in-law is replacing a defunct amp and has a budget of up to £250.

His speakers are some Mission floorstanders (not sure what model) and his listening taste is predominantly geared towards mellow-ish music: The Leisure Society, Jack Johnson with a bit of Talking Heads on occasion. He tends to listen at moderate to low volumes.

I've drawn up a shortlist of new amps (Marantz, Rotel, NAD) in his budget range. Are there any other recommendations I've omitted?

He's also asked me to scan the usual second-hand online sites with the same budget.

Anyone point me to something good?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Go old! I bought an Arcam A85 (around £800/£900 in its day) a few months back for £285. Tip-top condition.

Recommended if you can find one in his budget.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You could see what second hand Rotel amps are available that used to be in the £600 price bracket, they should be available within his budget, and I know this is an old one, but it's a cracker - the Naim Nait,or Nait 2. Not a great amount of power on paper, but it has "real world" watts, and will be more than enoughr his low or moderate lising levels. If I had to buy any amp, old or new, for £250, that'd be my choice without hesitation.

scene

I'd second Big Chris... In fact, you could let him try your Arcam A85 with the rest of his set up and see whether he likes it or not.

Though, as the owner of an A85 from new, I think you may have problems getting it back....
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I second Chris' suggestion! I bought an Arcam A85 for around £250 last year, and this is vastly superior to any £250 Marantz, NAD or Rotel amp that you can buy new.

Of course, at £250 there are also other interesting second-hand choices, so taste becomes important. The Arcam is a very goo all-rounder though, and it is very versatile, i.e., well equipped.

Hedgehog

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all.

Yes, the very tempting prospect of selling my A85 on and upgrading myself has crossed my mind.

Or, just hunt down a second hand A85. Saw one on eBay last night, that finishes today. £170 and rising, as of then.

TRENDING THREADS