£18000 FOR AV AMPLIFIER AND SPEAKERS

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Active Loudspeakers: 4 x ATC SCM20A SLT + ATC C6A Centre + ATC C6 Sub (or 5 x SCM20s + C6 Sub)

Processor: Arcam FMJ AV888 / Lexicon MC12-HD / Anthem D2v

I personally think with that kind of money active speakers are the way to go. Couple them with a great processor and you'll have a system to last a long time. Really actives put passives to shame and those speakers will last a life time. They also only really need bog standard XLR cables to them. The only thing you need to worry about upgrading is the processor. If you get the Anthem you'll be backed by their great support which will be brilliant for keeping on the cutting edge.

You might have to do some negotiation to get this to fit within your budget but it will be a brilliant system.

A

Anonymous

Beta4Me:

Active Loudspeakers: 4 x ATC SCM20A SLT + ATC C6A Centre + ATC C6 Sub (or 5 x SCM20s + C6 Sub)

Processor: Arcam FMJ AV888 / Lexicon MC12-HD / Anthem D2v

I personally think with that kind of money active speakers are the way to go. Couple them with a great processor and you'll have a system to last a long time. Really actives put passives to shame and those speakers will last a life time. They also only really need bog standard XLR cables to them. The only thing you need to worry about upgrading is the processor. If you get the Anthem you'll be backed by their great support which will be brilliant for keeping on the cutting edge.

You might have to do some negotiation to get this to fit within your budget but it will be a brilliant system.

beta4me,

that sounds like another interesting route to take with respect to actives.i did not know about that at all.

how do your passive sound in a 5.1 set up?are the ATC good with music/movies?whats the ratio of performance?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The only problem is that the active SCM20's are £5.5-6.5k per pair, so sub and centre will take you close to the budget, which will end up being over £20k - that then re-writes the whole thread in terms of specific recommendations.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

The only problem is that the active SCM20's are £5.5-6.5k per pair, so sub and centre will take you close to the budget, which will end up being over £20k - that then re-writes the whole thread in terms of specific recommendations.

dave you are spot on that point.i just have to stick with passive speakers and work with my budget that i have.worse case i can stretch another £500.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss:tvspecv:

if you say so...

welcome to the billionaires club.

Come to think of it........even I spent £18000 on my system, except that the furniture around my system alone was worth £11000, & my system is worth £7000, & I certainly am not a billionaire (nor a footballer). It really depends on your preferences. All I wanted was a nice relaxing evening in my lounge enjoying a film
emotion-44.gif

£9000 mine
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

If I were to spend £18000 at once, i'd try to do so at one dealer so I could ask for a nice discount. Not much more to add than that, since have no experience with bigbucks setups.

One more thing: I agree with BigBoss. I find £18000 not unbelievable at all. I just did the math and spent approx 6000 on my setup, this was all bought within a timeframe of one year. It surprised me too, perhaps I'm richer than I thought (I still suck at football though ;-)

A

Anonymous

Indeedy Gel. I've seen some blu-ray colllections that would equal the cost of a premium processor/AVR !

KevinOk made a top point regarding getting as much kit as possible from the one dealer, as if you treat them nicely you'll likely get more bang for your buck.

As regards to the amount being spent, it's horses for courses. You spend your dosh on your hobbies, even if it may seem a bit extreme to some, but you can't put a price on pleasure. :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Those who drink and smoke would be able to afford that type of system if they stopped - it's these sorts of 'hobbies' that cost people substantial amounts of money.

And yes, it's surprising how it all mounts up - at one point I think I totted the system I had up at about £30k, and it baffled me as to how I'd got to that point! Alas, circumstances changed and I had to pretty much start again. But it's fun being in that position again though.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel:It's amazing how it all add's up.

And people keeping saying I need a big tv, hold your horses.

I think the TV is the big depreciater in a home cinema system at the moment it certainly has been for me.

D

Deleted member 2457

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Those who drink and smoke would be able to afford that type of system if they stopped - it's these sorts of 'hobbies' that cost people substantial amounts of money.

And yes, it's surprising how it all mounts up - at one point I think I totted the system I had up at about £30k, and it baffled me as to how I'd got to that point! Alas, circumstances changed and I had to pretty much start again. But it's fun being in that position again though.

I suppose fun comes down to how much you can get for the old bit's.

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
gel:

I think the TV is the big depreciater in a home cinema system at the moment it certainly has been for me.
I would pay more for THE TV/PROJECTOR Than the sound

D

Deleted member 2457

tvspecv:gel:

Really? That's what i used to think not any more know the home cinema system is mainly all the sound I have found.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
gel:tvspecv:gel:

Really? That's what i used to think not any more know the home cinema system is mainly all the sound I have found.
I am with you on that. Give me the choice of losing my RS6 5:1 setup + Onkyo 875 or losing my 5090, then it would be the 5090 every time. I find it really depressing the number of people with big TVs who are using the built in speakers, you miss so much.

A

Anonymous

Andy Kerr:

We need some more information, legit. Where are you going to be using this system? Will the space have any scope for acoustic treatment, or is it a multifunctional room, such as a living room? What do you already have in place regarding video sources and a display?

A cheaper system (in terms of its component parts) that has been correctly installed by a good dealer into an acoustically sound environment will deliver better sound than high-end components crammed into an ill-conceived installation. In other words, if you've got £18,000 to spend, don't just think about the electronics themselves: acoustics are hugely important too, so make sure you allow enough room in your budget for that aspect.

And, just as pertinently, if you don't already own a projector and a good screen, I'd heartily recommend you factor one into your budget. An £18,000 sound system really merits a commensurately large, high-quality display.

first and foremost i have an area of about 7metres to 6.5metres

secondly its an open plan living room area leading to the kitchen. just moved into this new home which i think merits this investment

Hi legit

Been quite a bit of speculation on your profession having such disposable income, but perhaps you are a Bank robber hence the use name?

Now all joking aside some serious spend there , and as always great feedback suggestions especially from David at Frank Harvey and Nick at the Home Cinema Center both top of their game.

But the above post by Andy Kerr is of major importance ,regarding your room ,and should not be glossed over skipped as irrelevant, you can buy the most esoteric of kit but I don't know if you realize that the room is more important

It has a major influence in the sound 50-70%, especially as yours is open plan into a kitchen, that will have some impact on your bass/sub woofer and the sound you will achieve.

With the greatest of respect to the above retailers I suggest you visit GeckoHomeCinema.com website and at least gain some knowledge about room acoustics

This might influence you to read further on the matter then you can decide if it is a concern to you or ignore it , at least you will have an informed decision.

Note: I have no relationship with Gecko , I'm just a Home Cinema punter like yourself

Good Luck with your decision

Regards

Andy

D

Deleted member 2457

hammill:gel:tvspecv:gel:

I am with you on that. Give me the choice of losing my RS6 5:1 setup + Onkyo 875 or losing my 5090, then it would be the 5090 every time. I find it really depressing the number of people with big TVs who are using the built in speakers, you miss so much.

Spot on Hammill.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The OP already has a top notch projector, so the visuals, other than the Bluray player are not really up for discussion. Once you get to this point, you're pretty much spending twice as much to improve the picture. The sort of audio system we're discussing here are pretty serious, and are a different league to the average system below a couple of thousand. The sheer scale that these systems are capable of are immense, giving movies like Transformers/Terminator 4/Cloverfield etc the sort of soundtrack that does justice to the size of the projector screen, and also the size of some of the images you see on a projector screen. To watch Cloverfield and not only see the scale of the monster, but also hear and feel it's size is quite something.....

Those who have heard such a system will understand
emotion-14.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

FrankHarveyHiFi:

When you look at it as hobbie and you look at how much it cost's to be a member of a "good" golf club or tennis club for a year, then I suppose the math's make some sense and at least it's yours for how long you want it.

A

Anonymous

wowser - all this from a guy who just wanted some help on a system. lets start a forum on what we do for a living and recommend jobs we can upgrade too.

What job could i upgrade to for a £18,000 budget? Currently a taxi driver.

A

Anonymous

woollyjoe:
wowser - all this from a guy who just wanted some help on a system. lets start a forum on what we do for a living and recommend jobs we can upgrade too.

What job could i upgrade to for a £18,000 budget? Currently a taxi driver.
a getaway driver ??

lesmor:
With the greatest of respect to the above retailers I suggest you visit GeckoHomeCinema.com website and at least gain some knowledge about room acoustics

Wow! They sure deal with high flying clientele!

http://geckohomecinema.com/contact.asp
Contact Gecko

For help with your home cinema, to
arrange a demonstration or for more information on the complete
design and installation of your home cinema, please contact
us on the numbers below.

Visiting Gecko

Gecko's showroom is located in the peaceful countryside of
Newbury, Berkshire.

Silent demonstration rooms and state of the art acoustics
makes this the UK's finest location for auditioning the best
in hi-fi and home cinema.

Meals and over night accommodation are available to ensure
your visit is as convenient and enjoyable as possible.

By Road

Newbury is easily accessible from London via the M3 or M4

From West London - allow 1 hour

From Heathrow - allow 50 minutes

From Gatwick - allow 1 hour 30 minutes

By Train

To Newbury or Basingstoke

From London Waterloo to Basingstoke - allow
50 minutes

From London Paddington to Newbury - allow 60
minutes

From London Victoria to Basingstoke - allow