£1000 for a subwoofer !

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
- What size is your room?

- How important is built-in EQ?

- Is this your max budget?

- Do you have access to SVS / KK Sound / Paradigm?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
By the looks of your system you are planning to run your sub high level ....?

Now looking at your speakers which are large full range - what part of the freq range do you want the sub to do ?

This will make a big difference to the sub you buy - if you only want low end reproduced then a ported box sub is better

Why are you not getting enough bass now though, those Q700 speakers have several bass drivers and freq reponse down to 36hz - something appears wrong - either amplification, more likely room acoustics or both ?

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I looked at kk and paradigm not hired of SVS ill look into them, room size it's a mid/large room aprox 3200ft cubed.

i would be running high level not bothered about EQ as I can possession it and tune well, then later after DAC been brought get a 8033.

£1000 is my budget but can be pushed up if there is some thing special in sound like 15hz in room response.

The sub I'm looking for would be crossing over around the 50-40 hz range . But lots of music go's down to 20hz and I'm a person who like to feel and hear there music and my KEFs don't hit that low.

I was looking at the REL R528 what I can get for around 1000 mark what I feel is a hard sub to beat / compete with.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
You can get a used velodyne DD12, or at a stretch a DD15 for that money. 15hz in-room is possible, I'm getting usable output at 12.5hz.

Instead of buying a Dac and an 8033, buy a Dual core Antimode, it has a Dac built in.

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
A subwoofer is one of those things I just cant imagine that I would ever spend £1k on, though I will freely spend it on other stuff. I guess they just dont excite me

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you are sure that you are know how to set the sub up well- then I think I would look at ported subs as you are only interested in real sub bass performance 50hz and below. Sealed box generally trade off the deep bass for articulation

others have recod passive radiator designs - to my knowledge that's to over come the limitation of a small box. I think in your instance a bigger sub will work better - there is no substitute for volume for deep bass. A bk monolith is flat to 20hz with nothing other than a good box and good speaker and its only £500 ish - you can then buy your dac. Or 8033 straight away. It's aimed at movies because of its deep bass performance but I don't see the difference in your needs here.

I am sure you have considered this sub already - lots of info online sure you will find some opinions on its musical nature

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I’ve had a look around for the velodyne DD12 looks like a good sub but second had its still out of price.

The BK mono is a good buy and was look at this very sub beforehand, but I feel that I would only what something that’s faster and musical.

The REL what is very high on my list hits 21 Hz for a ABR subwoofer so placement is easier than the mono

I would like to stay away from ported if possible as my cruddy QA 2070s create lots of port noise even so I had to bung them up what has improved them some what

Have any of you got experience of REL you would like to hear you view; know what are the positives and negative sides of this brand.

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
All of REL subwoofers have ABR with the exception of G1 and G2 and there smaller RELs the R range 328 and 528 have a Carbon fibre ABR what Its meant to be light and It acts like it’s not even there but controlling the bass?, I assume it to stop port noise and to get the low frequencies out from the driver when its inside the box

I know what you mean my feeling it’s cheap as it likes like two drivers when you’re getting one.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My preference is for a sealed sub.......especially for music.
As for Subs, I rate the Velodyne SPL Ultra range, Paradigm Seismic 110, SVS SB 13. Plus and BK XXLS 400.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
If you keep an eye out, you'll get a Velodyne DD12 for £1k or less. Mine was £800.

There is a newer DD12+ that is a lot more expensive though.

You can get deep bass from a sealed sub, but good eq is necessary gain the most. The Velodyne has a great built in eq, so it can be tweaked to suit.

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
ill keep a look out for a DD12 as it dose look like a very good sub

The SVS 13 looks like a beast but to large in overall size for me to have it hidden away and feel like it would turn in to a table at low volumes.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Joshuamessenger said:
ill keep a look out for a DD12 as it dose look like a very good sub

The SVS 13 looks like a beast but to large in overall size for me to have it hidden away and feel like it would turn in to a table at low volumes.

The Sealed versions of SVS (SB) ie. Ultra and Plus, are smaller than the Ported ones (PB).

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Joshuamessenger said:
All of REL subwoofers have ABR with the exception of G1 and G2 and there smaller RELs the R range 328 and 528 have a Carbon fibre ABR what Its meant to be light and It acts like it’s not even there but controlling the bass?, I assume it to stop port noise and to get the low frequencies out from the driver when its inside the box

I know what you mean my feeling it’s cheap as it likes like two drivers when you’re getting one.

An abr isnt a driver, and its never meant to be, so its not really about trying to fool people into thinking a sub uses two drivers when it doesnt by adding in a second cheaper (rel drivrs arent exactly the worlds most expensive anyway) unpowered driver.

Its function is the same as a port. Both ports and pr's have advantages and disadvantages against each other. The big disadvantage of an ABR/passive radiator sub is it has the worse group delay response of any system. Group delay is well known to be a big component of the percieve accuracy of a subwoofer.

A sealed system has by far the best group delay of any system, so if musical performance is your focus, and therefore sound quality, you wont best a sealed subwoofer in that regard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts