£1.5 - £2 K Shortlist and Dealer in Scotland + speaker stand question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Following the feedback I got last week from this forum I am pretty sure that it will make sense for me to get a mid range set up rather than a budget one. Thanks to everyone who replied for their help.

The music I mainly listen to is classical (instrumental).

I also want to get standmount speakers.

In order to audition I need to draw up a shortlist. From reading and comments my provisional shortlist is as follows:

CD Player

Rega Apollo

Cyrus CD6s

Roskan Kandy Mk III

Amp

Cyrus 6v2

Roskan Kandy Mk LIII

Speakers

B&W 685

Monitor Audio Silver RS1

Epos M12.2

A few questions if I can -

a) I live in West Lothian are there any good dealers in Scotland likey to have all of the above for me to listen to? I am happy to travel to either Edinburgh or Glasgow.

b) Are there any combinations of the above that would be likely to work particularly well or not well?

c) With speaker stands - do they all have spikes in them ? We have a wooden floor and I can't see my wife being too happy about creating some holes ! - is there a solution?

Thanks again -

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Surely you should listen to the rega amp as well. One make systems, if good have lots of advantages eg looks, compatibilty, one remote handset. Also, Quad is THE manufacturer for classical music. I think their cdp costs around 1000 and only needs a power amp to work. They also make small speakers to match. Ebay often sells second-hand examples ony a year or two old. I wish i had gone down this route as I only listen to classical music myself, and find my system too bright and tiring.

Cheers craig

A

Anonymous

[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]
Try these mate.

Glasgow Audio:

http://www.glasgowaudio.com/

Loud and Clear:

http://www.loud-clear.co.uk/

Sevenoaks:

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/home.aspx

[/quote]

All of these guys have been really friendly when i've been in the shops. Hifi corner on bath street is also worth a look.

Glasgow Audio have the cyrua and b&w stuff, listened to a CD6 and 6vs there a few years ago with the CM1 speakers and they were great if you;re there anyhow you should give them ago.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Eddy, from my own experienced, I would use SHADOW AUDIO every time
emotion-29.gif

The staffs are not there just to make a commision but they are genuin people who love HiFi as much as we do. Mention Thaiman and you might even get some discount
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

They're based out in Glenrothes right? I may have to give them a call and have a wee day trip! Are you based up here then?

A

Anonymous

Just had a look, and i have the feeling that they're just a tad out of my price range at the moment.... Maybe if i get my *** in gear and pass some exams I'll be able to afford it in a few years!

John Duncan

Loud and Clear have a branch in Glasgow and Edinburgh, and are fantastic. Talk to (hang on will check) - b-gger can't find the guy's name - will have a word and get you a contact for the Edinburgh branch. A real, proper dealer who'll let you home demo stuff.

Edit - guys name in Edinburgh L&C is Iain - web site address was provided by somebody else earlier.

Edit - speaker spikes - most will come with little circular cups to protect your floor.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Loud and Clear have a branch in Glasgow and Edinburgh, and are fantastic. ... A real, proper dealer who'll let you home demo stuff.

[/quote]

Yeah these guys are my first port of call in glasgow for that reason. Even if you're just going in for a chat they're happy to help.

A

Anonymous

Try the Naim Nait5i...its a stunner. Try Rega amp by all means but unless you like an incredibly centre focused sound you will hate compared to the nait. Speakers I would stear clear of the rs1s, very bright and zingy. All personal taste though, be interested to hear what you end up with...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts