£1,000 turntable/cartridge

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure. It would be impossible not to listen to the Rega because it gets such great reviews for its price. But I'd be very much open to alternatives too. Does £1,000 really not buy you something that isn't just an refinement of the Planar 2/Project Debut design philosophy of an arm and platter screwed to some veneered chipboard? Is that really the most innovation you can get for a grand? There must be alternatives.

D

Deleted member 108165

Marantz TT15-S1 procured from a good seller in Holland, just over a grand incl. P&P.

With the 1k turntable comes the want for a great cart to go with it....then the need for a good phono stage to run the new cart properly...so your 1k turntable is most likely to lighten you of 2-2.5k.....right???or at least that's the way it's gone for me and it wasn't even a 1k turntable.lol.

K

keeper of the quays

Goldring lenco gl75 Shure mx97 cartridge..cambridge audio 640p phono stage..spend rest of money on records..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
With the 1k turntable comes the want for a great cart to go with it....then the need for a good phono stage to run the new cart properly...so your 1k turntable is most likely to lighten you of 2-2.5k.....right???or at least that's the way it's gone for me and it wasn't even a 1k turntable.lol.

No the £1k inc. cartridge. The most I would spend on a phono is about £250, buy a Cambridge 640p and get it modified for under £200. Doubt you will get anything better under £500.

Well if you like project tt's you can have the project 2 xperience classic without cartridge for £599 at vickers hi-fi (on line),that's where I got my own and if you want to add a cart they'll put it on and set it up.Leaves £400 for a cart of your own choosing,cracking deck with good looks and it runs pretty quiet with 0 hum.Oh and it has that lovely 9cc tonearm which would set you back £500 on it's ownsome.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I would try to find a perfectly maintained Micro-Seiki BL51 or some older Pioneer stuff, I will stay on my Jelco 750d tonearm and, probably, on my clearaudio cartidge. But I saw perfectly fine working Micro's of this type going out for 600£ with MM's shells in perfect conditions.

Now, I'm really happy with my Sota Sapphire ; but even used, with good matching shell and top arm, the price is heavier.

I already explained on other threads why I would never go for a RP3 or other base stuff made by Rega.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
If you were thinking of buying used, I'd find a good dealer who understands turntables, and ask them what they have/can source to suit your budget, and get them to service/set it up for you if required.

The so-called 'vinyl revival' means there's an awful lot of tat coming out of the woodwork at comedy prices on the auction sites, while the revived interest in the Technics turntables seem to have had the effect of making anything with the words 'direct' and 'drive' printed on it, however sh*gged, light up the gleam of avarice in eyes of sellers.

Call me cynical, but it's amazing how many junk-shop basket cases have recent popped up on eBay having just been found in a loft of a recently bought house/left by a music-collector uncle/etc. It's also incrediible how many of these sellers say 'it seems to work but I haven't been able to test it', but at the same time seem to have a very clear (inflated) idea how much they want for it, because it's a) a turntable and b) 'vintage'.

At least if you buy from a dealer you can see and hear it in action, and will have some semblance of a guarantee, rather than 'For spares or repair as I haven't been able to test it; no returns'

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm agreeing Spinny Norman in this. Lot's of peoples are using the Record revival for selling sh_t to the price of pure silver ; in the hope that "because it looks old, it shall be good". But it's not a general rule. Lots of good or easy to fit up material is actually for sale and just ask to be bought. I would search a knowledgeable boutique do this stuff.

I was on the audio-markt a week ago, and saw a very high-end Denon sold by a denon lover. You could not be better with such a piece of gear, even if you spend 6k pounds on a new actual model.

spiny norman said:
If you were thinking of buying used, I'd find a good dealer who understands turntables, and ask them what they have/can source to suit your budget, and get them to service/set it up for you if required.

The so-called 'vinyl revival' means there's an awful lot of tat coming out of the woodwork at comedy prices on the auction sites, while the revived interest in the Technics turntables seem to have had the effect of making anything with the words 'direct' and 'drive' printed on it, however sh*gged, light up the gleam of avarice in eyes of sellers.

Call me cynical, but it's amazing how many junk-shop basket cases have recent popped up on eBay having just been found in a loft of a recently bought house/left by a music-collector uncle/etc. It's also incrediible how many of these sellers say 'it seems to work but I haven't been able to test it', but at the same time seem to have a very clear (inflated) idea how much they want for it, because it's a) a turntable and b) 'vintage'.

At least if you buy from a dealer you can see and hear it in action, and will have some semblance of a guarantee, rather than 'For spares or repair as I haven't been able to test it; no returns'

Quite agree. If buying used find a reputable dealer and look at something like a Michell Gyro with Rega or Technoarm A and a good cartridge for around £1000.

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Forgive the interruption - Goldring Lenco GL75 - that takes me back. About 45 years. My very first deck, bought from Graham's when they were on Pentonville Road. I think it set me back about £25 from my student grant. If I remember right, and these days there's no guarantee of that, I had a Shure cartridge and a lovely little wood cased Rogers Ravenscroft amp. I made the speakers myself with Wharfedale kits. The Goldring had a heavy metal platter driven by a little rubber wheel, at times it gave out more rumble than Link Wray. I later replaced it with a Dual TT. But that doesn't answer the £1000 question, I'd be tempted to explore secondhand.

K

keeper of the quays

6and8 said:
Forgive the interruption - Goldring Lenco GL75 - that takes me back. About 45 years. My very first deck, bought from Graham's when they were on Pentonville Road. I think it set me back about £25 from my student grant. If I remember right, and these days there's no guarantee of that, I had a Shure cartridge and a lovely little wood cased Rogers Ravenscroft amp. I made the speakers myself with Wharfedale kits. The Goldring had a heavy metal platter driven by a little rubber wheel, at times it gave out more rumble than Link Wray. I later replaced it with a Dual TT. But that doesn't answer the £1000 question, I'd be tempted to explore secondhand.
cool.. :) I had the gold ring with a leak 20 with the varioslope pre and tuner..videotone mininmax speakers too! The power amp was open and looked like a city when on in darkened room..happy days..do you remember those pesky weights on a thin wire to balance arm?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes I agree about prices now, gone a bit crazy.

I take your point about reputable dealers but not sure if any near me, there is a Sevenoaks in Norwich, may try one in Lowestoft next time I go there. York is too far. Peterborough is also a bit too far.

This goes for buying used gear, really there is very little in this area and I don't want it sent through the post. If I can find a Rega 3 in good nick I might go for it, I would probably upgrade the subplatter as that seems worthwhile improvement then maybe Denon 110 cartridge.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Just come across the Inspire Hi-Fi Black Magic Si which looks very interesting, its £599 new, not inc. cartridge.

Anyone here have one or have heard one?

BigH said:
Just come across the Inspire Hi-Fi Black Magic Si which looks very interesting, its £599 new, not inc. cartridge.

Never seen nor heard. Isn't Inspire a buy from the website sort of company?

I remember their Apollo turntable getting rave reviews in HiFi World as did their tonearms.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
BigH said:

Never seen nor heard. Isn't Inspire a buy from the website sort of company?

I remember their Apollo turntable getting rave reviews in HiFi World as did their tonearms.

What like Tom Evans do you mean?

Meant to be very high quality, I have found quite a few reviews from people who have had their turntables upgraded by them, mostly Regas.