YouView / Humax no longer boots

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I've had problems with my Humax / YouView box lately with it freezing, but a reboot usually gets it going again.

Now though it won't boot at all, it usually gets to the 'nearly ready' stage but no further. I've tried about 7 reboots, soft, using the power switch and unplugging from the mains but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
roger06 said:
Hi

I've had problems with my Humax / YouView box lately with it freezing, but a reboot usually gets it going again.

Now though it won't boot at all, it usually gets to the 'nearly ready' stage but no further. I've tried about 7 reboots, soft, using the power switch and unplugging from the mains but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks
it sounds like the hard drive is shot,is it in warranty,if not it shouldnt be to hard to replace the hard drive.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. I don't suppose you know what size HD? I have an old 320gb from a macbook pro I could use and I'm sure someone on YouTube will show me how to do it so I'm up for giving it a go!

Shame I'll lose so many good recorded films etc but that's life I suppose.

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
they are normaly 2.5 sata,i have read thet the boxes dont see extra space if you go bigger capacity,so best to stick with the same size ie 500g-500g,you could try the 320,as long aS ITS OUT OF WARRENTY.

daveh75

I would try a 'Maintenance Mode Recovery' before anything else, as it may not be a h/w issue (it could be a botched f/w update for example)

Instructions to get into maintenance mode for the various versions are at https://support.youview.com/articles/Self_Service_FAQ/How-do-I-perform-a-maintenance-mode-recovery-1370864319647

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
daveh75 said:
I would try a 'Maintenance Mode Recovery' before anything else, as it may not be a h/w issue (it could be a botched f/w update for example)

Instructions to get into maintenance mode for the various versions are at https://support.youview.com/articles/Self_Service_FAQ/How-do-I-perform-a...

Yay - that worked! YouView support were telling me to call BT to find out how to do this when they have a guide on their own site... go figure.

cheers

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
And it is a 3.5 inch disc, ie desktop PC size. Given how easy it was to take the drive out I'm tempted to upgrade at some point as long as I can copy the old recordings onto the new disc which I believe involves some Linux file formatting...

TRENDING THREADS