Your year in HiFi and Music – 2012

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Paul.

This year I have done very little. I bought some Bose OE2i on holiday in the US on January 1st, so that just about counts. I listen to music the most whilst walking these days, and the tiny folding Bose headphones are an absolute joy for being out and about.

I decided to scratch an itch and buy a turntable, but for less than £100 in case I barely used it like the last couple. I picked up a Project Expression for £75, which was a bargain. I was wise to spend so little, as its looking pretty dusty now! The phono stage in my Onkyo is very poor, and I don't want to fall in to the trap of spending money on it as its a slippery slope with vinyl. I may just sell the TT on for profit.

In terms of new music, bands that have made it on to my 5* playlist are The Glitch Mob, The Jezebels, Future Funk Squad and Holy F**k.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
The_Lhc said:
Well, yes, obviously, bought a couple of woods this year and got my first official handicap for five years, 10.

...thought so....good man.

I got down to 12 before I stopped......bet you want to become a "single-figure" golfer. :shifty:

I could take it or leave it, I play off 9 in a society, it's bloody hard work!

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
2012 was an interesting year re Hifi, Music and culminating in some firm resolutions for 2013

Lesson one:

HiFi forums are populated with manufacturers/retailers as well as otherwise well meaning enthusiasts, all of whom will argue till blue in the face that the only point of view worth considering is theirs.

Resolution one: Stop listening to people with commercial agendas and large egos. If you need advice, do some reading from the real, as in professionaly qualified experts such as Floyd Toole, Sean Olive etc.

Lesson two:

Some online personas seem to feel that what they would never say in real life, is OK online. Ad-hominen attacks, patronising and snide put downs abound.

Resolution two: Spend less time on the internet endeavouring to have a sensible discussion about HiFi with people who only want to argue, be incredibly rude, and push their own viewpoint, ego and/or agenda; enjoy the system you have (after all it's good enough to be the envy of most of your friends) and get out in real life more, with real life friends who treat you in a decent and respectful manner!

Lesson Three:

It's a good hobby, but HiFi is not the be all and end all of life, and being obsessed about it is definitely not healthy.

Resolution three: Stop reading HiFi mags, which mainly only serve to breed disatisfaction with what you have, and listen to the music instead of the kit! Stop getting involved in pointless arguments with the aforementioned online personas with large egos and/or agendas, and enjoy what you have - it's likely to be far, far better than what the majority of people could possibly dream of!

Lesson Four:

Do I really want a separates system that has 'evolved' such that it results in the lounge looking like a mad inventors lair, and is almost an embarassment if people visit who aren't into HiFi.

Resolution four: Move the separates system in it's entirety, and as a concept, with all the racks, cables, clutter and general obsessive audiophile nonesense, on to the pre-owned market and buy something of even better quality, that is much more elegant, and fits around ones lifestyle rather than demanding one fit ones lifestyle around it.

Lesson Five: Spend more time buying music and movies and enjoying them, rather than worrying about the next hardware 'upgrade'

Resoution: Done!

A Happy, Healthy and Prosperous Xmas to All

Jmac

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JMacMan said:
Lesson one:

HiFi forums are populated with manufacturers/retailers

Yes and their sock puppets, very annoying!

Lesson Four:

Do I really want a separates system that has 'evolved' such that it results in the lounge looking like a mad inventors lair, and is almost an embarassment if people visit who aren't into HiFi.

Resolution four: Move the separates system in it's entirety, and as a concept, with all the racks, cables, clutter and general obsessive audiophile nonesense, on to the pre-owned market and buy something of even better quality, that is much more elegant, and fits around ones lifestyle rather than demanding one fit ones lifestyle around it.

AVI's wasn't it?

What's the phrase they use on blogging sites? Oh yes...

"Presented without comment"

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
JMacMan said:
Lesson one:

Lesson Four:

AVI's wasn't it?

AVI makes very good, and in the ADM40 almost certainly, exceptionally good products.

The concept though, is not unique to AVI.

Other makes of similar active speaker concept, but, ah, less 'controversial' reputation, are available, and have been for a long time.

I'm not an AVI owner or representative in any way whatsover, but do support the active speaker concept per se, both in the pro and domestic spheres.

Jmac

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
JMacMan said:
The_Lhc said:
JMacMan said:
Lesson one:

Lesson Four:

AVI's wasn't it?

AVI makes very good, and in the ADM40 almost certainly, exceptionally good products.

Other makes of similar active speaker concept, but, ah, less 'controversial' reputation, are available, and have been for a long time.

I'm not an AVI owner or representative in any way whatsover, but do support the active speaker concept per se, both in the pro and domestic spheres.

Jmac

You must have read my mind .

I've virtually given up buying HIFI comics , not bothering to read up about seperates to upgrade my passive system and summoning up the courage to go and listen to some ADM40s to see what all the fuss is about . At the moment I daren't ,as I don't have the funds to pay for a pair and I don't have any children left in the cupboard to sell either .

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
JMacMan said:
The_Lhc said:
JMacMan said:
Lesson one:

Lesson Four:

AVI's wasn't it?

Jmac

You must have read my mind .

I've virtually given up buying HIFI comics , not bothering to read up about seperates to upgrade my passive system and summoning up the courage to go and listen to some ADM40s to see what all the fuss is about . At the moment I daren't ,as I don't have the funds to pay for a pair and I don't have any children left in the cupboard to sell either .

I understand.

I think a listen to the ADM40's and other actives is a good idea though, as it may give you a sense of where you might like to go in the future. I'm not one to change out kit over short time spans, so often some reseach, including reading and listening has been a good way for me to set goals and make plans for future improvments that are significant and worthwhile, rather than merely stepping sideways and ending up with something that proves over time to be merely 'different' when reviewed in hindsight, such as often occurs with switching out/changing amps and sources in passive systems, and sometimes even loudspeakers, going by my own past experiences.

John

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
To add to my earlier list I've just received the remastered version of Previn and the LSO playing Rachmaninov Symphony No 2. Recorded in 1973 this has always been seen as a classic and the remastering is absolutely brilliant enhancing the string tone wonderfully and bringing out some lovely highlights in the percussion.

Chris

A

Anonymous

My hifi combo all bought this year (except The TT) have just made listening to my music a joy. I buy more now, including vinyl, than I have for years. It's stopped being about the hifi and become about the music again.

T

the record spot

AlmaataKZ said:
sorry, cannot edit my above post any more. wanted to add - that was my revelation from this years shows.

here is an idea: somebody join me to Scalford 2013. I go blind. Guide me through the rooms and we both make separate notes on sound quality and then publish them to compare the sighted vs blind. or both do a blind round followed by sighted, both with notes, and then compare. Any takers?

I can't think of anything more pointless!

Unless they're running twenty rooms with the same amps and sources and different speakers, you're going to be in for a mish-mash.

I replugged my Onkyo back in recently, having been using the Sony for a while, and realised how neutral the 8050 is. The Denon 3930 and 1420 players come across as very lean sounding, but the Marantz CD52 SE went on and the difference was stark.

So yes, sources and do play a significant part. It may be subtle for some, but it can be markedly clear in other cases.

matthewpiano

Covenanter said:
To add to my earlier list I've just received the remastered version of Previn and the LSO playing Rachmaninov Symphony No 2. Recorded in 1973 this has always been seen as a classic and the remastering is absolutely brilliant enhancing the string tone wonderfully and bringing out some lovely highlights in the percussion.

Chris

I was listening to this the other night. I agree, it is a wonderful recording in every sense. Previn's understanding of the music is peerless and the orchestra are on wonderful form.

T

the record spot

shropshire lad said:
I've virtually given up buying HIFI comics...

I've gone the other way, I rather like the open minded nature of the likes of Hi Fi World and WHFS&V. Stereophile makes for a good read as does ToneAudio in the US. Nobody takes a two faced swipe at you on one forum and turn up on the one they're slagging off for a start that's for sure.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

I was listening to this the other night. I agree, it is a wonderful recording in every sense. Previn's understanding of the music is peerless and the orchestra are on wonderful form.

Nice to find a fellow spirit.

Chris

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
To all those slagging off the 'hi-fi comics'... Without the WHFS&V magazine, this forum wouldn't exist.

I wasn't slagging them off , I just said that I had virtually stopped buying them . Although I admit I was being a bit disparaging by calling them comics . But I'm sure they've been called worse .

T

the record spot

My year then, I'm going to throw in a late Dec 2011 purchase, that inspired a bit of a lengthy thread earlier in this year. Been a bit of a busy year since then too though. Here's the list:-

Onkyo TX-8050

Denon DVD-3930 Universal Player

Denon DCD-1420 CD player

Marantz CD52 Mk II SE

Sony TA-F630 ESD

Harman Kardon HK6850 (tonight!)

Apple TV3

Sony PS3 320Gb

Tannoy DC4

Rogers DB101 (sold on)

Sony CDP-791 (donated to charity)

Monster HDMI 1200-EX cable

various optical cables

various Tesco HDMI cables

...and a stack of CDs!

Edit:....oh and a 32Gb Google Nexus 7!

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
In April I was on a stag do and chatting (pulling his pants down and making him neck everything) to the best man about HiFi and said I wanted a louder amp to blast out in my living room without overheating like 70-100 watt.. Turns out he works for Cyrus and said he could get me a discount so figured £700 was as option.. Went and Demo'd the 8 DAC and a Caspian.. Just before I left I tried the Pre Power and wow blew me away.. SO ordered my current set up and ProAcs which are made in Brackley (my home town) :cheer: I later bought the Naim streamer as it amazed me how fluid and analogue it sounded compared to my Mac as source.. and obviously future proof with 24/192 and ipod/pad app, gapless playback etc it's perfect for when i get my listening room.

Although a fantastic set up and unbelievable sound it just doesn't suit most the music I listen too.. I then went and tried all kinds of speakers, sub, cables etc and still can't get anywhere near the sound I wanted.. Pretty much no high end Class D amps do to be honest.. I've heard Roksan, Cyrus, Naim, Bryston, Quad and Musical fidelity.. At my last listening session at the end I just asked the guy (he can understand my frustration) if he recommends any ams that might suit the sound i'm after or am i going to have to get a much cheaper/beefier sounding amp.. He just pointed at an amp.. Electrocompaniet PI 2 Integrated 100 watt per channel.. So I though ahh why not.. The second I turned it up me and my mate just looked at each other and grinned.. WOW!! This is pretty much exactly what I was after! Powerfull but controlled bass, full punchy but transparent midrange and silky smooth / slightly toned down (dark?) top end with a laidback slightly warm presentation but with plenty of detail and attack.. It just flows along with perfect timing and can't help but foot tap bob your head to the beat.. It also much much much more forgiving on bad recordings than any other amp i'd tried.. FINALLY I was enjoying the music 10 x more than any other Class D amp i'd heard.. I will be going back to try with more speakers but I am pretty much sold.. I will look into Bigger Electro/Class A amps maybe when I do a big upgrade as I hear this is a similar sound.. But I plan that at least 5 years from now.. Now to just find some speakers that work perfect with it..

If you find most high end amps a bit to bright/anylitacal/harsh/forward/tiring and/or just want to listen to hours of music where you feel fully involved in the music like you're at the gig without it fatuiging at all I suggest you demo this amp.. Yes it has 'Character' but I don't think that is a bad thing.. All I know is I will be buying it plugging it in and get back to the real reason I spent all this money in the first place.. To enjoy the music. Next year I will buy a Sub and a could hundred CD's!!

Cheers guys, hope you have all found the setup that makes you enjoy your favorite music, or just found some music to make your hairs stand up on your already exsiting set up :grin: ;) 8) :dance: :cheer: :cheers:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
2012 has been the biggest hifi year ever, for me.

Thanks to this Forum I was introduced to active speakers in general and AVI in particular. The venom in certain people about AVI made them a priority listen. I was staggered by the performance of the AVI ADM 9Ts and their VFM. A complete[save for source] system in beautifully crafted and finished pair of speakers.

I was then introduced to home network/streaming [courtesy of AVI & WHF forums] and purchased an ATV3 to feed the 9Ts from the existing computer and router. The process, still ongoing, of ripping my cd collection began, but I do not only stream, I still enjoy my old Marantz cd player. Purchased an Apple iPad mini to allow easier control of my stored music and to engage in arguments conversations on here.

Very little music has been purchased because I have been listening anew to my existing music collection. I have never listened so much or enjoyed my music so much. I have purchased a number of Brian ENO albums as well as Adele.

If you have never tried actives give them a go. Despite the bile of some on here who have a contrary view, you may just find they are the best thing to happen to your ears AND wallet.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.

:cheers:

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
relocated said:
2012 has been the biggest hifi year ever, for me.

Thanks to this Forum I was introduced to active speakers in general and AVI in particular. The venom in certain people about AVI made them a priority listen. I was staggered by the performance of the AVI ADM 9Ts and their VFM. A complete[save for source] system in beautifully crafted and finished pair of speakers.

I was then introduced to home network/streaming [courtesy of AVI & WHF forums] and purchased an ATV3 to feed the 9Ts from the existing computer and router. The process, still ongoing, of ripping my cd collection began, but I do not only stream, I still enjoy my old Marantz cd player. Purchased an Apple iPad mini to allow easier control of my stored music and to engage in arguments conversations on here.

Very little music has been purchased because I have been listening anew to my existing music collection. I have never listened so much or enjoyed my music so much. I have purchased a number of Brian ENO albums as well as Adele.

If you have never tried actives give them a go. Despite the bile of some on here who have a contrary view, you may just find they are the best thing to happen to your ears AND wallet.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.

:cheers:

Yes the AVI speakers are good, but so are many others in the music production industry... It just so happened that the AVI's are one of the sepakers they have got into the HIFI world..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigColz said:
At my last listening session at the end I just asked the guy (he can understand my frustration) if he recommends any ams that might suit the sound i'm after or am i going to have to get a much cheaper/beefier sounding amp..

Freudian Slip methinks!! :shifty: :twisted:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts