Your year in HiFi and Music – 2012

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Well, what has happened in the year for you? What were your most important discoveries, observations? What do you remember from the year? New artists/performances/publications impressed you? New products you think are significant? New gear you bought?

Looking back at the year 2012 in Music and HiFi, what are you thinking about?

For me –

I listen to music more than ever and I probably bought 150 quid worth of new music – this was only 2 or 3 complete albums, the rest were individual tracks and most of the purchases were from iTunes. I watched a lot of live concerts on blu-ray and have been following Later on BBC HD. I have been to a dozen or so of live music performances. I got a membership in a Jazz Club – but unfortunately did not use it enough!! Definitely need to improve on that in 2013!

Artists? The significant artist I discovered in 2012 and will be taking with me into the future is Melody Gardot.

In 2012 I stopped buying hi-rez music as I completely lost interest in it – for three reasons – lack of choice, lack of confidence in provenance/quality and lack of difference in sound compared to non hi-rez. So my brief affair with hi-rez is over. Not worth it. (Although I would like iTunes to one day go 16/44 or better)

I stopped my subscriptions to HiFi mags this year. Got tired of uninformative, subjective, meaningless reviews. I also stopped buying HiFi mags. I came to conclusion that it is possible and better to find information on the internet.

I did not buy any hifi gear. Well, apart from an iPad. But I am starting to think about a projector... I also want small active speakers - for the kitchen and bedroom. Maybe next year...

How about you? What were your hifi and music milestones in 2012?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Forgot important thing: I have been to 2 hifi shows in 2012: Scalford and Munich. The resulting conclusion that I made for myself was confirming that most important for the sound are speakers and room and sources do not matter. So speakers should be chosen on objective performance capability, rooms should be addresesd as far as practical for domestic life and sources should be chosen on media formats, functionality and user interface. When you listen to several dozens of systems in succession it becomes very obvious.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
For 2012 - I properly changed our lounge into a home cinema and hifi room. Ceiling-mounted 2m wide screen, speakers in best position and upgraded my stereo sources - turntable and Cyrus amps/CD.
(Oh, and a new L- settee so more of us could watch face-on to the screen)

Result: much better sound, much better picture and Mrs C is even keen to watch stuff on the big screen now.

I remember when she couldn't see the point of a 42" plasma - far too big :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
But unless you listen to several dozen systems that are all using the same speakers but different sources and amps how can you possibly "know" that it's the speakers that are making the significant differences?

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, really nice post. Pity about the Jazz club, wasn't the 606 was it?

This year I've decided to take a step back from all things Spotify. It has become increasingly unpreditable on all platfroms I use it on, sometimes working, sometimes not... updates etc. To the point of really annoying me. This may be odd but it is sometimes hard to choose tracks amoungst all those millions. I may use the non paying version as a quick guide, but for me its time is up.

Instead I am going to concentrate on buying CD's of artists I really like, having the hard copy and yes using a (gasp) CD player. CD quality is all I ever needed. There is something nice and simple about just putting on a CD, no software issues and really good sound quality.

Other things I discovered are that Philips made rather good Cd players back in the day. I have two, one broke on me but sounded lush. The new one is fully operational.

Another discovery is that Tannoy make remarkably good speakers. The V1's are mind bogglingly good for £98.

Listening also to a lot of good quality radio via Tune-in . Linn, Classic Rock Lounge, Radio 2,3 and 4, loads of electronic stations.

If I had to pick my most listened to album of the year it would be difficult. I love Jeff Beck-live at Ronnies. or the Shins-Wincing the night away, Wonky by Orbital(using all their old synths) lovely. Even listened to Dream Theater- A dramatic turn of events(for the remarkable drumming). :grin:

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Discovered AVI.

ADM40s in the lounge paired with a Sonos ZP90, replaced loads of boxes.

ADM9RSS in TV room, now 2.1 instead of 5.1 (didn't see that coming). So simplification has been the big thing this year. 95% of music listening at home is Spotify, probably my single best purchase. And streaming movies rather than spending loads on Blu rays I might watch once or twice. I do still buy BDs like DKR that will be watched multiple times.

Ive got a good sized spare room and would like a proper home cinema (PJ etc)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
But unless you listen to several dozen systems that are all using the same speakers but different sources and amps

[/quote]

Have not tried that and don't think I will ever be able to!

The_Lhc said:
... how can you possibly "know" that it's the speakers that are making the significant differences?

It is very obvious. As you move from room to room you observe the change of sound and you feel it is the speakers/room. First you notice the overall character of sound. then you analyse it - Is the bass clean or boomy? is it too loud for the capability? distorted or clean? dynamic enough? harsh? is the stereo effect good? it all comes from the speakers. sometimes a system just screams 'I boom! a lot!' or 'I can't handle that volume level' or 'I am loud, clean and accurate'. the difference between the sources is negligible in comparison. Try it. e.g. Scalford - highly recommended and so eye opening.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
moon said:

This year I've decided to take a step back from all things Spotify. It has become increasingly unpreditable on all platfroms I use it on, sometimes working, sometimes not... updates etc. To the point of really annoying me. This may be odd but it is sometimes hard to choose tracks amoungst all those millions. I may use the non paying version as a quick guide, but for me its time is up.

Instead I am going to concentrate on buying CD's of artists I really like, having the hard copy and yes using a (gasp) CD player. CD quality is all I ever needed. There is something nice and simple about just putting on a CD, no software issues and really good sound quality.

Other things I discovered are that Philips made rather good Cd players back in the day. I have two, one broke on me but sounded lush. The new one is fully operational.

Another discovery is that Tannoy make remarkably good speakers. The V1's are mind bogglingly good for £98.

Listening also to a lot of good quality radio via Tune-in . Linn, Classic Rock Lounge, Radio 2,3 and 4, loads of electronic stations.

If I had to pick my most listened to album of the year it would be difficult. I love Jeff Beck-live at Ronnies. or the Shins-Wincing the night away, Wonky by Orbital(using all their old synths) lovely. Even listened to Dream Theater- A dramatic turn of events(for the remarkable drumming). :grin:

It's the Ronnies...

I really need soem good internet radio stations incl electronica. Any you can recommend? What the V1s are like?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
:dance: Added a subwoofer for stereo listening :rockout:

That made a BIG difference, especially to my electronic music with lots of sub-bass.

Needed new speaker cables to incorporate the sub so replaced pricey copper cable for cheap silver cable (and silver banana plugs) without it getting bright.

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I got into streaming this year, through my purchase of a Squeezebox Touch. I listened to nothing but that for a few months, but have to admit I’ve recently drifted back to my CD player, as I find the sound is just that bit better – maybe the SBT’s DAC isn’t quite up to it? One thing I do have to thank the SBT for is my discovery of Radio Paradise, which I love. I stick it on most evenings. I’d say I enjoy listening to it more than my own music collection, just for the pleasure of discovering excellent new (to me) music.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
The_Lhc said:
But unless you listen to several dozen systems that are all using the same speakers but different sources and amps

... how can you possibly "know" that it's the speakers that are making the significant differences?

It is very obvious. As you move from room to room you observe the change of sound and you feel it is the speakers/room.

But why do you "feel" that? What's the basis for that conclusion? There's no way you can determine that it's solely down to speakers.

First you notice the overall character of sound. then you analyse it - Is the bass clean or boomy? is it too loud for the capability? distorted or clean? dynamic enough? harsh? is the stereo effect good? it all comes from the speakers. sometimes a system just screams 'I boom! a lot!' or 'I can't handle that volume level' or 'I am loud, clean and accurate'.

Your'e missing my point, I know how to identify differences in sound but how do you know it's solely down to the speakers? In every room the speakers AND the amps will be different, as will the room, which could be as large a factor as anything else (I've been to a number of shows and the exhibitors always moan about the room they've been given!), how many times do we see people here saying they loved a speaker or system in the demo room but it didn't work when they got it home?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your conclusion btw, I'm just trying to say that your listening sessions at shows have so many different variables it's impossible to arrive at your conclusion without a lot more listening using a common amp, more than one in fact, you'd have to listen to a number of speakers on the same amp, decide which ones you like and then listen to them again on a different amp to see if you can hear a difference. If you can't THEN you can say it's primarily the speakers that make the difference but if you DO hear a difference your suggestion is dead in the water.

But you can't just walk into a room with a system you've never heard before and "feel" that it's the speakers making the difference.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
moon said:

It's the Ronnies...

I really need soem good internet radio stations incl electronica. Any you can recommend? What the V1s are like?

Try www.181.fm . I love it. Loadsa different styles of music. If you've got broadband of at least 2.5meg then you'll be fine. :cheer:

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I'd have to disagree. I've spent the last 6 months trying to get the sound I want with different speakers and It's def not happening.. The presentation of the amp is the most significant of anything IMO.. I've got the source i'm very happy with and think i've found the amp I want, once I have it I will match speakers to that.. I think if you get the amp presentation you like you can only really fine tune the sound with to suit you with speakers.. I will def be adding a sub in 2013 too

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
BigColz said:
I'd have to disagree. I've spent the last 6 months trying to get the sound I want with different speakers and It's def not happening.. The presentation of the amp is the most significant of anything IMO.. I've got the source i'm very happy with and think i've found the amp I want, once I have it I will match speakers to that.. I think if you get the amp presentation you like you can only really fine tune the sound with to suit you with speakers.. I will def be adding a sub in 2013 too

Sorry that was a grammatical nightmare.. Not sure what happened but i'm sure you can de-code it ;)

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
sold my audiolab system , 8000series mono blocs 8000 cd player arcam t32 tuner and bought a marantz cr603 last week and so far have not regretted it one bit. in fact im enjoying my music again , and.for what ? 389 quid. im chuffed :p

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
AlmaataKZ said:
The_Lhc said:

It is very obvious. As you move from room to room you observe the change of sound and you feel it is the speakers/room.

But why do you "feel" that? What's the basis for that conclusion? There's no way you can determine that it's solely down to speakers.

First you notice the overall character of sound. then you analyse it - Is the bass clean or boomy? is it too loud for the capability? distorted or clean? dynamic enough? harsh? is the stereo effect good? it all comes from the speakers. sometimes a system just screams 'I boom! a lot!' or 'I can't handle that volume level' or 'I am loud, clean and accurate'.

Your'e missing my point, I know how to identify differences in sound but how do you know it's solely down to the speakers? In every room the speakers AND the amps will be different, as will the room, which could be as large a factor as anything else (I've been to a number of shows and the exhibitors always moan about the room they've been given!), how many times do we see people here saying they loved a speaker or system in the demo room but it didn't work when they got it home?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your conclusion btw, I'm just trying to say that your listening sessions at shows have so many different variables it's impossible to arrive at your conclusion without a lot more listening using a common amp, more than one in fact, you'd have to listen to a number of speakers on the same amp, decide which ones you like and then listen to them again on a different amp to see if you can hear a difference. If you can't THEN you can say it's primarily the speakers that make the difference but if you DO hear a difference your suggestion is dead in the water.

But you can't just walk into a room with a system you've never heard before and "feel" that it's the speakers making the difference.

(don't want to change the thread topic, BTW)

Yes, yes, academically it is true. but I am talking practically -

Say, there are two rooms with different bookshelf speakers of same type (electrodynamic), different amps (of moderate power, say one Ss and one valve) and different sources (say a SBT playing hi-rez and a turntable) . they both sound largely the same. of cause you will hear the vinyl artifacts, you will hear small differences in sound between the speaekers but none of the differences will be major. then you walk into a small room with a Zingali speaker and bang - it booms endlessly, compared to the fist two. So, can this boom come form the source? no way. amp? maybe. speaker? oh, more than likely. you make a note and proced to another room. there is an open-baffle speaker, playing from CD via a non-descript amp. the sound is tinny, distorted and irritating. is that the CD? probably not, nt to that degree! Amp? maybe, but again, not to that degree. Speaker? most likely. then you hear, say, a SBT with a valve amp and huge horns. again, clear sound signature - loud, punchy sound. is that the SBT you hear punching? very unlikely. the amp? mybe. The speakers? definately.

After 30 rooms, you can start to notice that all horns, all open baffles and all small electrodynamics sound about the same, regardless of source and amp. you also notice that some systems sound very significantly dirrefent to others and most of the time this is clearly due to speakers e.g. very small size, or very peculiar driver (e.g. parasitic voxative - unbeleivably distorted and harsh or electrostats - clean mids). In other rooms the impression is the opposite - there is a lot of systems and speakers that sound largerly the same and these are mostly electrodynamic speakers, 2-3 ways, driven by amps and whatever sources. there is no difference in the character of sound, all have same flaws (usually boom), limitations (usually high distortion at high volume) etc. the caracter changes mostly with the speaker, and more and very clearly so with type of speaker. these are very clear and obvious.

the only clear differenc I noticed between types of sources and amps was with truntables. otherwise - CD, DVD, stream, hi-rez, mp3 - all sound almost identical. I will not be able to identify them blind. no way. Amps - same. will never reliably identify any of them blind. you dont pick up any pattern related to sources or amps from listenting to dozens of these systems - except turntables. None.

this brings you back to speakers. and combined with a bit of theoretical knowledge about acoustics it all comes together: you need a high-performance speaker, driven well by the amp, with as little room problems as possible. have any source (including LP if you are ok with the sound of cracks) and that is your best bet.

that is my thinking, the practical side.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

I agree.

FWIW. My personal experimentation has led me to the conclusion that amps can play a huge role.

I have found speakers that I can't sit in the room with, on some amplification; and then sound very good with others. A forward, highly detailed but slightly clinical amp, will sound totally different from something like an Audio Note SET Valve amp, or a Pathos Hybrid.

This also works the other way round as well, and the differences in speakers can be even bigger ie. I've amps that I can't sit in the room with, until the right speakers are found.

Interestingly, I would rather get the amp right first...which goes against what a lot of people believe. This is because you can't get the sound of Class A or Valves, any other way, no matter how many speakers you try.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
As mentioned previously on other threads that my cd player is from the early nineties, but this year i did spend several hundred pounds on a kenwood in car entertainment so i'm now enjoying to listening to music on the move. :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
simonlewis said:
As mentioned previously on other threads that my cd player is from the early nineties, but this year i did spend several hundred pounds on a kenwood in car entertainment so i'm now enjoying to listening to music on the move. :)

You also got some CAT 5 (Kitten), if I remember right! :shifty: :oops:

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
simonlewis said:

You also got some CAT 5 (Kitten), if I remember right! :shifty: :oops:

:)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
sorry, cannot edit my above post any more. wanted to add - that was my revelation from this years shows.

here is an idea: somebody join me to Scalford 2013. I go blind. Guide me through the rooms and we both make separate notes on sound quality and then publish them to compare the sighted vs blind. or both do a blind round followed by sighted, both with notes, and then compare. Any takers?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
sorry, cannot edit my above post any more. wanted to add - that was my revelation from this years shows.

here is an idea: somebody join me to Scalord 2013. I go blind. Guide me through the rooms and we both make separate notes on sound quality and then publish them to compare the sighted vs blind. Any takers?

IMO. Hi-Fi systems often sound nowhere near their best at shows, due to the far from ideal conditions (and possibly music). It is as likely to give you the completely wrong impression, as the right one.

Also imo. they are a brilliant way to see what's out there, and meet the people behind the equipment.....but often gives no more than a cursory feel for what they might offer.

matthewpiano

2012 has been the year of starting to settle down for me, a realisation and acceptance that I can't keep devoting inordinate amounts of my life to worrying about whether my hi-fi is the absolute best I can get it.

I have also realised just how remarkable my original Quad 11Ls are and although I've still got 685s and various other speakers in back-up storage, I really do think the Quads are the best I'm going to get without spending too much money. The Quads need an amp that grips them at all volumes and the Denon 720AE really does a great job without breaking the bank.

2012 has seen me get back into vinyl in a bigger way too and I'm enjoying my RP3/Elys 2 combo more than ever, particularly as the Denon has a very good phono stage built in. Vinyl and CD are my main sources despite the occasional dalliance with my Squeezebox Touch and, given the amount of vinyl out there and the proliferation of superb value CD box sets, I don't think this is going to change. I still love the process of looking through my library of music and handling the real article and I find the sound of vinyl and CD more than good enough.

Musically, I've got back into listening to classical music more frequently again, culminating with the purchase this month of a mammoth 68CD/5DVD set of Murray Perahia - The First 40 Years. My love for all things Barclay James Harvest is as strong as ever and I loved seeing the band live a few weeks ago, for the 7th time. I also had the wonderful opportunity to see Ralph McTell for the 5th time and he was a superb as ever, with the bonus that I got to meet him after the concert and found him to be a lovely, genuine man. Favourite albums of the year include the brilliant 'Weather Systems' by Anathema and 'Piramida' by Efterklang. Also Ralph McTell's 'Sofa Noodling'. My best vinyl purchase was the new remaster LP of 'Abbey Road'.

In 2013 I'm most looking forward to the new John Lees' Barclay James Harvest album, and I'm hoping to get to some orchestral and piano concerts at the Bridgewater Hall and RNCM. At some point I'd also like to do some performing myself having taken a year off this year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts