Your most recent gig

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Electro said:
And as a bonus I managed to pick up some tickets while I was there to see Robin Trower next year *yahoo* .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPEZf-ypX34

Nice one Electro. I'm off to see him too in March at the Lowry Theatre. The support act I believe is Joanne Shaw Taylor who I've never seen but am reliably informed is rather good too.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Well the gig started well the support act Blues Pill and then the Rival Sons came on did two numbers and then the singer said I can't do this and apologised the band went off after a couple of mins two band members came on stage to apologise some of the audience got very verble not nice I ended up teling one bloke to grow up the gig has been resceduled for the new year

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Angus and Julia Stone at the Hammersmith Apollo

A spellbinding set. Julia has an amazing voice and charisma to match it. They started out as a folky duet, but they've now got a bit of edge, and the stuff from the most recent album works really well in a big venue. The encore ended with 'My Santa Monica Dream' from the album 'Down the Way': ravishing!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Arch Enemy in Bristol last night. They were simply amazing, I see a lot of good bands but occasionally you get one that sends a tingle through you. It was one of those times, prob the only others this year have been Opeth & Nine Inch Nails.

It was a 4 band show. We got the at 7:30 but had already missed SHINING & Marty Friedman. Next up were Arch Enemy (who should have been the last act IMO. Next were Kreator who had a longer set with encore. I've never really listened to them before, but they were pretty good, even though that type of thrash ? Metal isn't really my thing.

I'd go and see Arch Enemy again anytime.

Here's a could of vids nicked off YouTube.
Arch Enemy - War Eternal http://youtu.be/O3tlOHRzCYs
Kreator - Violent Revolution http://youtu.be/HEUp4RyU-A0

jjbomber

Last night at Sin City. Can't wait for the new album. it's being mixed in LA so the band are up until 4 in the morning every day! I thought rock and roll folk were supposed to be up until that time anyway. First album is on Spotify for those who want to check them out.

There were 4 bands on in total with Beautiful Strangers, The Texas Flood and Suns Of Thunder. With a Sunday curfew it only left an hour for Buffalo Summer. More of a quality rather than quantity show.

The only downside was that I put a flat battery into the microphone, so I had to record the gig with internal mics on the Edirol. Better than nothing but frustrating to make a beginners mistake after all these years.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Chris Standring at the Jazz Mix , Cliffs Pavilion , Southend on Sea last night .

A fantastic performace from top class musicians , the sound balance was perfect due to the fantastic acoustics in the Maritime room probably due to it's odd shape , and of course the very skilled sound man *smile* .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ouczLcRlSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OT3uNIeYTk

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Off to see Slipknot now...

Me too. Loved it. Last saw Korn about 10 years so enjoyed that too. Have you ever seen a place so full for the support act ?

I was a bit tardy leaving home, and it was quite slow going through Birmingham, then the South & North car parks were full. Got in the west and ended up just squeezing in right down on level 1. Ended up missing King 810 but Slipknot & Korn haven't mentioned them on their FB pages I thought they'd been dropped. Korn were just starting up as we got through the door.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I was a bit tardy leaving home, and it was quite slow going through Birmingham, then the South & North car parks were full. Got in the west and ended up just squeezing in right down on level 1. Ended up missing King 810 but Slipknot & Korn haven't mentioned them on their FB pages I thought they'd been dropped. Korn were just starting up as we got through the door.

I took the train, so travelling was easy - just meant I had to sneak out slightly early to make sure I didn't miss my last train home.

Never heard of them before, but King 810 were pretty good, sound system aside - I quite enjoyed their last couple of tracks (wasn't too shouty shouty!)

Korn were brilliant Never seen them live before, and I don't think I've even seen YouTube clips or anything. I was actually more interested in seeing Korn than Slipknot, and they didn't disappoint. Would love to see a full gig of theirs.

I didn't enjoy SlipKnot as much. I think it was partly down to the fact I've not really had the chance to listen to the Gray Chapter very much, so wasn't familiar enough with the tracks. Their set seemed to have had the bass ramped up, and with the extra guys on the drums either side of the stage just added to the boominess - and I was just behind the mixing desk. I noticed in the sound check that there's massive reverb in that place. How they got so much bass in that venue is beyond me. Korn's sound was better balanced. Last time I was there was for Queens Of The Stone Age, which sounded far better and without the bass issue.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I think Korns latest (The Paradigm Shift) is particularly strong.

i think it must depend where you are in a venue. We were up on the left side and I quite liked the fact it didn't seem as bassy as some gigs I've been to. But unless the sound is completely dire I'm not too bothered at live shows.

Its only the 2nd I've been to the NIA, I went to see Motörhead and got there about a minute before The Damned came on. If we go again, I need to leave more time.

Going to see War Horse tonight, so a bit of a change of pace.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect mega quality at gigs, particularly at large venues (although Nine Inch Nails at the NEC sounded amazing, and the Foos at the open air MK bowl sounded great too), but when you're very close to the mixing desk, you expect to be hearing something half decent. I was closer (in front and off to the right of the mixing desk) for QOTSA and that sounded great - I don't like getting too close to the speakers at the front though so I can preserve my hearing - very wary about that after a particularly loud and distorted BRMC gig about 4 years ago, which took my hearing about a week to recover from. I really do think those in charge last night just ramped up the bass too much which muddled things.

I'll have to revisit some of the later Korn stuff, as my favourites have always been up to Untouchables, particularly Follow The Leader. I'll be on the lookout for any live gigs too, particularly if they're available on Bluray.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Nicolas Meier at the Jazz mix, Cliffs Pavilion ,Southend on Sea , last night .

Absolute perfection !

I love this sort of music, it takes me to wonderful places in my mind *i-m_so_happy*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQS_MF_TAC8

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
BLACK LABEL SOCIETY last night.
3 bands for £20, great value.

First off were a Crobot, not my usual thing, very 70s type of hard rock (Free, Zeppelin ?). But a great lead singer. They were impressive.
Then, Black Tusk, this was more my type of thing, a sort of combination of speed & death metal. Definitely a bit of Metallica, Opeth maybe, but reminded me of a band I saw about 10 years ago. Raging Speedhorn.
Last up, BLS. They were pretty immense and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Zak Went off on some guitar solo half way through, that IMO wasn't needed
smile.png
. Also, after every song a guy came on and took away an A3 sheet. I later saw they were lyric sheets and you could see him glancing down at them.

Still, great night for just £20.

Wuss

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
January it was Paul Carrack at the RCH Glasgow. 6th Feb it was Mitsuko Uchida at Glasgow's City Halls. April will be Texas in Glasgow again. and June 17th it's Fleetwood Mac at the Hydro in Glasgow. Busy old year :D

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Dave Mascall at the Jazz Mix, Cliffs Pavilion , Southend on Sea last night .

Amazing !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbtfPYk2QRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4siAco8qkIg

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hadn't been to a gig in months, then saw two in two weeks...

The Staves

Just awe-inspiring skill. They made such gorgeous music seem so effortless (although I'm sure it wasn't!). I must apologise for wearing a gormless expression of complete wonderment throught their entire gig. They own some of the most mercury-smooth voices I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. (Do you get the impression I liked them?)

Seriously if the Staves are ever playing anywhere near you, drop the house sale, postpone the birth of the child, re-take your uni exams the next year and GO AND SEE THE STAVES.

The Unthanks

Seen them a few times now. Reliable as ever. A bit Marmite, but I like 'em. Beautiful arrangements, lush harmonies and either sad dirges or uplifting epic songs that take you far away from your everyday concerns. Thanks to the Unthanks for doing what you do. The world would be a little bereft without you.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Susanne Sundfor at Scala, Pentonville Rd , last night .

Apart from the fact we were about 30 years older than anyone else at the venue which was not really a problem *biggrin* it was fantastic .

Loud pumping synth bass lines that moved my chest cavity in and out with the beat whilst choking on dry ice , electro beat rhythms mixed with Susanne Sundfors wonderful voice .

We felt young again *biggrin* .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK9PLF9ACKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_lEXa7VWcA

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts